November 10th, 2003, 13:35
There were the (Hayes ?) Stinger conversions available for V8's. I would assume they made them for 6's & 4's as well. Those used the Chrysler mag pick-up coil and their own, odd reluctor that pushed down over the breaker point cam. The pick-ups used in the V8 kits wouldn't fit in the VW dist., I tried.
I'm cheap and $300 for a CompuFire sounds like a lot of money to me. B4 I spent it I'd want to know if there was a HP or durability advantage over any of the other possibilities. Does the CompuFire still use the 009's advance curve, or do they have their own ?
It seems to me that with a limited class you want the most efficient IGN system available, not the most powerfull.
Being cheap is what led me to figure out how to do the Toyota conversion. I've carried the spare (first converted dist) 009 in my 'glass buggy since '94. Have never needed it, but now I'm afraid to take it out of the buggy.
I'm not very fond of the Pertronix. Most of them work very well until they suddenly don't. I've seen a couple that didn't work right out of the box. The unique rotor is the part I like the least about the VW version. Being fair, everyone I've known to have a problem with a Pertronix has been taken care of by the company.
November 10th, 2003 13:35
Membership in the largest desert racing community has its advantages
- Participate in Forum Discussions
- Send and Receive Private Messages
- Maintain Public Photo Albums
- Access to Groups
- User Profile in our Social Network
- Increased Access to more Sub Forums
- Reduced Online Advertisements
Join our community today
November 10th, 2003, 15:18
I used an MSD 6AL w/MSD Type I distributor. It worked flawlessly. Never saw a dyno; don't know if it made a difference.
November 10th, 2003, 18:37
One of the "Off Road" -6's or pre those being available ?
I ask because I've heard of many of the "Off Road" versions not surviving what the 'std' version has.
November 11th, 2003, 07:08
It was just the standard 6AL. It was a real plug-n-play deal when using the MSD distrib.
November 16th, 2003, 00:56
I have run both the $69 points replacement Compufire, and the $200+ Semi-Distributorless Compufire. Neither one seems to be a performance gain. I figured both were a reliability gain until this past Primm race. The $69 compufire broke. The composite ring with the four triggers cracked and made cylinder three come and go. Didnt cost us a position or anything, just was a pain to try and change spark plugs and wires all race trying to fix it. We replaced it since then and will see how it works at the 1000. I am going to carry a spare ring from now on in the car. (I fried a different compufire and have the ring leftover)