$10,000.00 Reward

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by monstro, Nov 19, 2006.

1. monstro

monstro Member

We suffered (#105) a sever crash at the Baja 1000 in El Diablo dry lake bed RM 157 just before San Felipe Northern Baja. We hit a relic car that was on the course as fast as our car would go. Our driver was air lifted to the medical center and the co-driver left the wreckage still suffering from shock and a possible head injury. 3 of our chase trucks arrived shortly after the co-driver left and found the remains of our race car picked clean of the following parts:

2 x 4.0 King coil carriers and 2 x bypass shocks
    2 x 2.5 king coil carriers and 1 x bypass shocks <Prep by Jake has the other!>
    1 x Kenwood 110 watt 2 way radio
    1 x Motec dash/data logger
    2 x Parker Pumpers
    1 x custom radiator with fan assy.
    2 x 5 point harnesses
    6 x Toyo 35x12.5x15 tires on 2 RG wheels and 4 Ultras
    2 x Optima batteries
    1 x carbon dash with electrical panel of circuit breakers and switches
    1 x carbon dash with gauges
    1 x Lowrance 4000 GPS
    1 x tool bag with tools and spares
    1 x 35 spline hollow axle
    2 x tow straps
    1 x motec ignition expander
    1 x modified floor jack
    6 x 90mmm Hella Zenon lamps
    1 x burns 4" exhaust
    1 x Pro-Am rear hub assy complete with 35 Spline CV, boot, etc

The opportunists used Sawzall's and cut off items that would take too long to unbolt. Please spread the word to help prevent this from happening more. PM me with any information you may have, we are gathering descriptions of those in the area at the tiime. Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  2. E&S Racing

E&S Racing Energy Drink King Pin

That sucks bro. I hope everyone is ok and I hope you get atleast some of your stuff back..
  3. bcampbell04

bcampbell04 Resident Almost Know-it-all

i truely hope you get some of your stuff back. that just isn't right.
  4. Rory

Rory Crayola Killer

5. Waldo

Waldo Safehouse

That's a terrible happening. We heard the incident on weatherman diablo and that PCI-Scott rolled up just after the accident and assisted (Thank God for these type of racers!). I prayed and will continue to do so for your boys.
  6. Paige

Paige Member

WOW that totally totally sux. This was a theft ridden Baja 1000 for all of us it seems. We listened to this incident unfold on Weatherman - but did not hear about the theft - that is horrible - if we see any of this stuff we'll let you know for sure - I have been monitoring e-bay for many of the items that were in our truck when it was stolen down there - you should also.
  7. Chop_DSR

Chop_DSR Member

That sucks!! So many stolen cars and property this year. I work at a shop so I'll keep eyes and ears open for someone trying to sell or service the parts you're missing. I hope you recover some of your stuff bro.
  8. sickrick

sickrick Active Member

It really sucks to think that chasers may have been involved. I am guessing this may be the case as they had sawsalls and other tools and stripped it fairly fast.

Rory, how did the guy you know, end up with the front shocks?
  9. racinteach

racinteach Member

Actually I doubt it was any chaser. The locals down there have gotten very crafty...they monitor the radios and if they are close enough they manage to show up to a crash to see what they can find...get the word out to all the builders down south..also cehck out craigslist as well as ebay as mentioned before....

chances are very slim you will ever see those but maybe everyone should start engraving or etching there team name or some sort of ID number on there hard parts...make it look like a facotry deal...then if we happen to see those parts on a locals or other car we will know...just an idea..
  10. K-fab

K-fab Member

We saw you go by 140 and then heard over Weatherman right after it happened. Pistol Pete nailed it - "they hit the abandoned car on the left."

How's everyone doing? Hope they heal up quick.
  11. HAMSTEAK

HAMSTEAK Member

Did anyone hear about the chase truck with racecar on trailer stolen out of estero beach?? Guess the driver left the keys in the truck and somebody decided to walk off with lots of equip.
  12. Big Oly TT

Big Oly TT Active Member

Sure Did!!!!!!! I couldn't believe it!!! Estero Beach????!!! What the hell is going on?! I stayed there in my f250 with a Lance camper on it, at the far end of the lot, the night before contingency. There weren't that many teams/ 5th wheels/ toy boxes, people, etc. there. Not like the Baja 500, when it is packed.:mad:
  13. Big Oly TT

Big Oly TT Active Member

I'm glad you guys are OK? I was working in BFG pit 1 when I heard it over the radio. It sounded really bad. I just can't believe that you rig got stripped!!?? I would never leave a race rig unattended in Mexico or even in the U.S. Did your co driver get hurt that bad where he had to get out of there to get medical attention? I was just curious about the detail of what went down. Also, I heard that somebody got killed? Chase truck incident? Motorcyclist? San Felipe area? Blew a turn?
  14. Racbaja

Racbaja Active Member

I would have the Mexicali shops and racers keep an eye out. I will bet you money it was locals from the Mexicali area. Now don't get me wrong, there are a lot of great racers out of Mexicali but I have caught more than one local trying to steal stuff at CODE and other races.

Ron Plunkett
    Plunkett Racing
  15. monstro

monstro Member

Thanks for all the concern, during my last converstations with Andres and Betim on the weekend, they are both still shook up. Andres was diagnosed with a severe concussion and a soft tissue leg injury. Betim, the co-driver, did not recieve any professional medical attention as he stated he was fine.

Priority one when a crash takes place is to secure your driver and co-driver. In our case, the driver was air lifted by our rented chopper and the co-driver and photographer stayed with the car, as the co-driver was shook up but not injured.
    Priority 2 is to remove the wreckage from the course to safeguard the other participants, which is precisely what was done by our guys and with the help of Rory and their crew. Thank You Rory.
    Priority 3 is to secure the car until it is retrieved.

These are important issues to discuss with your team prior to the race at your team meeting. Sometimes the things we take for granted are not 100% understood throughout the whole team...and it is really important everyone is there for the same reason and that they work together to accomplish the mission.
  16. DesertDoll

DesertDoll Member

Rory, thanks for the help and the shirts. Both are greatly appreciated!

It was actually the rear shock. The 1209 Prep by Jake Score-Lite car got smacked hard and ran up the back side by the K&N pro truck, completely bending the left rear shock. When they passed by the crash on the dry lake, they stopped to borrow a spare 14". :( We are really thankful to Mihal/Ruffo #105 for allowing us to use their shock. It got 1209 to Coco's, where they could change out the shock with a 16". It made for a rough 175 miles, but got 1209 to their pit crew. Thank you so much for your support, especially under the extreme circumstances.

I am so sorry to hear about the fate of your car. I also hope your driver and passenger were okay after everything. From what the 1209 drivers tell me, it sounds like it was a hell of a hit. Better luck in 2007!
  17. Marty Fiolka

Marty Fiolka Active Member

All,

In terms of the Jake Batulis car (which I was a co-driver for), my understanding is that Jake and his co-dog Cameron got hit by a Protruck before the lakebed, which bent the hell out of one of our rear Kings. In order to keep going, the guys talked the co-driver of the Class 1 car into lettting us use a front to fix the rear until we got to our pit at Cocos.

We will, of course, return the barrowed shock with a heartfelt thank you.

Marty Fiolka
  18. monstro

monstro Member

Marty,
    It was Betim Berisha from Porsche Motorsport (now BBI) that gave you one of my shocks! Jake called me today and we'll meet up after Thanksgiving, I have your bent one here at the shop. I heard about the engine...bummer, go get em next year! Good to know that you were able to get a few more miles and that our shock helped out a little.
  19. Fourstroker

Fourstroker Well-Known Member

Jim,
    Huge props to your co-driver and crew for being willing to help out another racer when there hopes and dreams of a finish had just been shattered. Glad to hear that your drivers are gonna be OK and hope you get your stuff back.
  20. joerader

joerader Member

[​IMG]

The above pic of #1209 went up LIVE to the web @MM 51, just before Tres Hermanos silt beds