14YO's 1971 F-250 LWB build

Discussion in 'Shop - Show & Tell' started by 1971Ford, Jun 27, 2008.

1. 1971Ford

1971Ford Member

1971 F-250 LWB build

allright guys, i have been trying to sell my 71 to buy another old ford to turn into a desert project since the 71 is so original and rust free, but no one will by the darn thing so it gets to be my desert build. besides, i think it enjoyed it when i took it out to Prairie City :D :D :D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

this will be pretty low budget. its going to be going off of my money. but i have 3 paper routes and work at a welding shop and it has been feeding my 69 f100's restoration quite well :)

The theme: old school :cool:
    inspiration, check out these 1970's pictures by tracksidephoto: http://www.tracksidephoto.com/galle...lery/ClassicPhotos/1970LongBodyTrucks&start=0
    plan on some old school slot mag wheels, no fancy bed cage, keep it old school but safe. pretty much what you see in that picture linked above.

plan to race in VORRA. eventually MDR.

truck weighed something around 4100 when we left the scrap yard after you minus my weight and gas. i wish i still had the weight slip. i forget how much it weighed exactly.

good stuff:
    -its allready got 3.73 gears in the rear which is what we'll use.
    -its got PS,PB.
    -front dual-piston disk brakes.
    -its a f250 so everything is beefy.

bad stuff:
    -i will need to strip the whole thing for a good re-paint
    -its a long bed, i think long beds are way more cool out in the desert, but not cool for your comfort :eek:
    -the truck is very original, sucks that im putting an end to that.
    -its got a well running 360 that has 5000 on a rebuild. ill have to pull and sell that.

another good thing is that i work at a welding shop :cool:
    what we plan to do is go down there on a weekend and bend the whole cage and tac it all together for the good-welders to weld together.

plans::
    -FOA shocks :)
    -National leaf springs in the rear
    -351W
    -really dont want to use any fiberglass for the old school look
    -full interior cage, little bed cage...

let me know what you guys think :cool:
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2008
  2. 1971Ford

1971Ford Member

WAIT.... this just in. theres still a chance that were using a different truck! just found a 69 f250 with a 429!!! for $580 (said he would drop the price if he can keep the bed toolbox!) ...

so it might be a whole different truck.

i dont know yet.
  3. Wild bill

Wild bill Active Member

go for it kid!!!!! A BB ford is your best bet for durability. Stay with the f250. Much stronger.
  4. 1971Ford

1971Ford Member

OH MAN! so my dad found a CL ad for a 69 (favorite year) f250 with 429! for $580 (said he would lower price if you dont want the toolbox).

dad and i are going to check it out tomorrow, ill buy it if indeed it is a 429. im excited!!!

if i buy it then i will change this thread to fit the right truck :D
  5. glamisrnr

glamisrnr Well-Known Member

cool, that will be a great truck. Good luck with it and have fun with the truck, and keep us posted on the build.
  6. 1971Ford

1971Ford Member

hmm. seems i cant edit my first post.

ANYWAYS....

we will still be using the 71. its final now :D . BUT. i did just buy ANOTHER old ford today! just bought a 69 that has a completely destroyed/rusted out body. bought it for $650.

why did i buy this rust bucket?

because it had a 429 COBRA JET with DOVE heads and intake!!!
    this thing is evil!

so what were going to do is drop the 429 in place of the 360 thats in the 71.

then were going to scrap the new truck's body/chassis and make our money back with parts (has brand new toolbox to boot) so we will be getting a free 429CJ pretty much!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it feels like it wants a rebulid. so were going to dig in and see what its like in there. also give it some goodies. you cant accelerate from a stop without spinning the tires (has a problem with that too).

this thing sounds crazy, cant wait to hear it with headers and new exhaust!

the way it rocks the truck back and forth is just awesome as well!

so now we have our truck, and we have our powerplant. now we just need some supension and the other goodies.... :cool:
  7. Steven_Tolbert

Steven_Tolbert Member

Right on! Way to go. Keep us posted.
  8. 1971Ford

1971Ford Member

so far ive stripped all good trim/interior parts from the new engine donor truck. it will be a couple weeks until we can swap the engine in the 71.

im going to go remove the under-bed tank from the 71 right now and see what else i can do to save weight. going to pull the in-cab tank, but not for a while because i want the 71 drivable.
  9. AzBajaman

AzBajaman Big Az Dad

Congrats on building your new truck, keep us posted on your build and maybe someone out there may have some parts they want to get rid of pretty cheap.......
  10. 1971Ford

1971Ford Member

yeah thanks, speaking of which.... if anyone has some bent I-beams, extended radius arms, or National leaf's or anything that i can use let me know :D

thanks
  11. 1971Ford

1971Ford Member

well i got screwed. its NOT a Cobra Jet. most likely not even a 429.

looks like i bought scrap metal for $650. we can make the money back through scraping the truck and selling the toolbox/parts easily though. then the engine is pretty much free.

well atleast we have a big block.
    im sure we will still be able to crank some power out of it though
  12. Steven_Tolbert

Steven_Tolbert Member

I have a 429 its not a cobra jet, it came out of a passenger car. If you know what to look for let me know and I will tell you if it is for sure a 429
  13. BRINGTHERUCKUS

BRINGTHERUCKUS Nimrod de PMC

Radius are easy to make, all you have to do is cut arm right an inch or two behind where it goes round. Get some round stock weld it on, put a sleeve over the new piece. weld a bung on the end for heims or weld on a stud for urethane bushings...
  14. 1971Ford

1971Ford Member

yeah thats what we plan on doing actually :D
    i dont know why i put extended radius arms with that "if ya have this" parts. also i beams, we can have ours bent at a allignment shop.
  15. 1971Ford

1971Ford Member

ok so now its been decided after running the numbers on the block and heads and such.... that i have a 429 Thunder Jet. good start i suppose. still want my CJ though! grr oh well.
  16. 1971Ford

1971Ford Member

tomorrow i should have a better update. but heres todays.

tiny smidgen update.
    spent over 3.5 hours removing this stupid thing. sheesh. what a mess. i hate underbed tanks now. im going to install it under my 69 restoration (tow vehicle for this project) :) im going to leave the incab in until we get a fuel cell :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

you have a desert racing truck when you take the tailgate off and throw a spare in the bed right? isnt that COOl? well heres my trophy truck ;)
    [​IMG]

tomorrow i am going to strip out interior parts. i want to get my buckets!:)
    [​IMG]

thinking about mounting this up front since i have it and it will retain the old school theme. its a little on the heavy side though, its going to cost me.
    [​IMG]
    tomorrow i should have this grill on. its not steel, so it will get banged up but it will last until i get a steel one. i dont want to use the 71's because it is too nice. plus this grill matches my 69 resto (tow vehicle) :D
    [​IMG]
    as of now.
    [​IMG]
  17. 1971Ford

1971Ford Member

got the rear bumper off, the underbed tank brackets and alittle more trim and the spare tire out from under the truck. this is where the spares will go, one behind each wheelwell. dont worry thats not the official strap, its just a strap that was laying beside me :D

[​IMG]
    the second layer of the bedsides shown will be cut out so its just plain bedsides. also plan on cutting out the bed floor so all there will be is plain metal bedsides.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

tomorrow i have the day off from work so ill get more done. like swap grills, start getting the engine ready to pull, remove interior parts, try to remove all the trim, and whatever else.
  18. 1971Ford

1971Ford Member

update..

well i got this much done

-got the 71's grill off,
    -removed all a/c stuff,
    -re-lined the gas lines to the one incab tank,
    -tore apart the a/c thing to get the brackets so i could mount the tranny cooler (it will be relocated to the bed cage once the bed cage is built, we will get a shroud for it and a little ricer car fan)
    -figured what ill do with the spares

i figure we will replicate this cage's basic design. after all, the BRODOZER is my favorite desert truck :cool:
    [​IMG]

before, there was little roof for the radiator to get air. so i removed the a/c blockageness.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i had to kill the a/c thing to get the mounts off the sides of it so i could remount the tranny cooler.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

NEW OLD GRILL! :D looks good. need another headlight cover though.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

stooting right along :cool:
  19. Steven_Tolbert

Steven_Tolbert Member

Nice plan kid, you need to get some of your buddys over to help you tear it down so you can start cagging it
  20. 1971Ford

1971Ford Member

i wish they were into desert racing, or vehicles even. i dont even know of anyone else in my school that restores vehicles or likes desert racing. there are the "fake" desert trucks in the student parking lot area that have their tailgate off and a spare in the back but stock everything. i bet they dont know what a 4 link is.

but one of my friends did say that he has been really bored over the summer and he will come help, i should be able to get him to start getting greasy :D