2 seat vs. single seat

Discussion in 'Class 9' started by usmcgunrock, Oct 6, 2007.

1. usmcgunrock

usmcgunrock Active Member

Ok so I am looking to buy a class 9 car. I am in the single seat or 2 seat debate. I know the have another person to help with fixes/stuck. Also sharing experiences. I guess I am just asking about people personal preference and why.
  2. actionj

actionj Member

I race a 2 seat just because after the race you have someone to back up your stories
  3. racer951

racer951 Well-Known Member

The nice thing about a 2 seater is that you can turn it into a wide single seater at a later date; Corey Torres and I have both done this. I'm not sure if the Johnson's moved the seat & steering but they run their 2 seater as a single, which Bud Ward also did last race.

I think I stay more focused with a co-driver but I also like the vision, balance, and leg room that a converted 2-seater offers.
  4. usmcgunrock

usmcgunrock Active Member

So do you just run extra tabs so that you can change it back and forth? Also the ones that did not change the steering and all that. Did they just take out the co driver seat?
  5. Johnson954

Johnson954 Active Member

We just take out the co-driver seat when we run it as a single seat, and it works really well. I would love to convert it to have the seat in the middle, just for room sake, but being able to put 2 people in the car is just way too much fun. I wish we could be more competitive with 2 people in the car, but we are a little too heavy that way. Here's a pic of our car running single seat.

Compress1.JPG
  6. racer951

Hey Steve, did you mess with the torsion bars/valving/shock pressure at all to get more even weight distribution as a single seater? We are looking to make the new 9 car a single seater after a few races but because the floorpan tunnel was retained the driver's seat must remain on the left. In the past we would take a few turns out of the passenger side torsion adjuster but I'm looking to get the balance better on this car.
  7. racer951

It's up to you on having both setups on the car. We kept the old seat tabs and steering column on there to make the switch a little easier since we did it a few times. It did add a bit of weight though.
  8. 9Iron

9Iron Member

We've done it both ways,
    the second seat position can be used to mount a box for your tools, water, oil, spares,
    even the battery if you are concerned about the balance of the car.
    I'd rather run as a single seater, if I wipe out the only one hurt is me...
  9. Johnson954

Johnson954 Active Member

I have to say, I think I drive a little faster as a single seat, because I know I'm the only one in harms way. I tend to be more focused, because you have to.

As far as our car goes, we have to add weight to make single seat, and so we do that on the passenger side. We also have our battery mounted over there, and put our tools etc. on that side of the car...so it somewhat evens out. The car falls a little toward the driver's side, but it is really not that noticable. We leave the same set up as with the 2 seat, just take some nitrogen out of the shocks. I just try to put the passenger side in the rough stuff if I have a choice....but I guess I do that as a two seat also! haha...sucks to be the co-driver.
  10. BUDMAN975

BUDMAN975 Member

My current car is awesome as a 2 seater, and I will finish the rest of the year as a 2 seat but I would have to agree, I am more focused when I am by myself, that is why my new car is a single seater. I will have the 2 seater if I ever race a SCORE event in mexico but in CA and NV the single seats reign.
  11. PEST

PEST Member

It's all personal preference alot of new comers to the sport like the 2 seater but most of the competetive people in all limited classes run single seat. I prefer single seat.
  12. Spina Boy

Spina Boy Member

i know the codriver size matters but can you guys tell a diffrence in power when going from single to two seater or vice versa?
  13. raceanine

raceanine Member

I used to have a 2 seat car and then built a single seat car and I would never go back to a two seater. Being in the center of the car does not beat you up near as bad as sitting on the edge of a two seater. I also focus better in the single seater.