1. Forum membership has its advantages....

2011 DRIVE race schedule???

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by M.Harvey1600, Nov 4, 2010.

1. M.Harvey1600

M.Harvey1600 Well-Known Member

So Doug or anyone at DRIVE have any idea what the dates might be next season?

I understand that with the previous set backs this year it has been difficult to obtain permits, but hopefully DRIVE will have a solid season full of races \m/

2. BW979

BW979 Member

lets race.

3. pdailey

pdailey #billsson

Obtaining permits is not the issue. It's prepaying the BLM proffer account. That's a lot of money out of Doug's pocket and no guarantee he recoups it. With the costs associated, he'd probably need at least 100 cars per race guaranteed to make it worth it. If I'm incorrect, I apologize. I hope something happens. I do love Plaster City.

4. Dirtracer 619

Dirtracer 619 Active Member

Well 'doug has to come back, I have just finished my 3 year build 1400 truck and can only afford to make it to plaster city!!

so Doug lets hear it when are you coming back

5. dwasser

dwasser Well-Known Member

Pat. You should be a carpenter because you hit the nail on the head.

It's not just about me either. There was a large group of people that volunteered their time and money and made massive sacrafices to make our races happen. Everyone was taxed to the limit. Family, old friends, new friends, hardcore volunteers, sponsors, and racers all gave their time and money to make every race the best it could be. Every one of them did an amazing job no matter how many entries there were. It truely was like one big family. Every couple of months we would all meet in the desert for a reunion and a race would break out. This group consist of some of the most outstanding and amazing people I have ever meet in my life. It was always a "whatever it takes" attitude.

As far as the future of DRIVE...I personally have no immediate plans to organize a race in Plaster City. I am however still very much involved with what is going on with local and regional level.

Here's my personal opinion on how off road racing will survive as things move forward.
    1. Spectators that get to go and watch one of the best shows in the world for free will need to nut up and start paying a small fee to the promoter in order to have the ability to keep enjoying this sport. Stop passing the buck to the racers.
    2. Promoters need to put their egos on the shelf and start working together to create a national organizaton. An organization that would have the clout to be approved by the BLM as well as insurance companies.
    3. The old school people out spectating that feel they know everything and "that it will never happen to me because I've done it this way my whole life" need to take a reality check and get a grip on whats really going on.
    4. Last but not least. Off road racing needs to start being treated as a business and not like a hobby. Volunteers need to become paid staff, organizers need to be able to take care of their families, sponsors need to see a return on investment, racers need to be able to offset cost by racing in "professional organized events".

Thats all I got for now.

Darren...I miss the DRIVE Family too.

6. tmathews

tmathews Well-Known Member

If you build it... I will be there... Haven't missed a DRIVE event in PC since day one...

DRIVE Spotter.. Checkin' in.. :)

7. TreyP

TreyP "F" you Bill

That's pretty much the sentiment of all the DRIVE racers and volunteers. Now we just have to get the rest of the people together to make it happen.

8. BW979

BW979 Member

I miss DRIVE, I miss racing in our backyard.

9. Tundranation

Tundranation Active Member

In the words from a once famous movie " No matter how you figure it .....it just don't figure " sad, very sad.

10. _DFR_

_DFR_ Copycat

any thoughts on coming back?

11. pdailey

pdailey #billsson

In conversations I've had with Doug, it would have to take a pretty big commitment from a lot of racers and sponsors to revive the series. I've seen Doug pour his heart, soul, and bank account into putting on races and he can only do so much. I would love to see races in PC again. Even if it were only 2 or 3 a year. I love that place.

12. Brian & Amy

Brian & Amy Member

DRIVE was less like an organization and more like a family. It's really depressing for me that it all turned out the way it did. If you ever raced a DRIVE event or were part of the Volunteer Team then you know what I'm talking about. DRIVE was the coolest grass roots phenomena in off road racing. I know I'm biased, but it's the truth. To this day it amazes me that such an incredible group of people came together and did so much with basically nothing, and we did it for TWO YEARS! Before the first DRIVE season I can remember painting the PVC poles for the "gates" and sewing all the checkpoint flags together with my wife Amy and laughing about the fact that everything used for the first DRIVE race would literally be "hand made". It was like an underground gorilla movement... Desert racing, family style. The theory could not have been better. But like with all things, theory and practice are two completely different animals.

Thank you to all the racers that ponied up and believed in the idea behind DRIVE. You guys were our true rock stars! I know that may sound fake, but it's the God honest truth. And to everyone on the Volunteer Team, you guys (and gals) know that the reason DRIVE was even a possibility was because of you. I'm so thankful that I was able to be a part of DIVE with you guys. The Volunteer Team was the co-vert force that always got it done. No matter what :)

Alright, I'm done. Thanks to everyone that made luxurious Plaster City important enough to support DRIVE and Doug's vision for a better racing environment.

No one can say that we didn't give it 100%

-Brian & Amy

13. dwasser

dwasser Well-Known Member

Perfectly put Brian. Thanks for everything! I have very fond memories of finishing up those flags in my garage while Kelly and Amy worked through the entry list at 1:00 AM the weekend before the race.

There are people in the local BLM office that were even bummed out that we aren't planning any races right now.

I almost sold all the equipment but decided to keep it for now. It sits collecting the wrong kind of dust.

I miss the DRIVE family very much. They worked harder then anyone should every be asked to work for free. Truely an amazing group. Lots of great memories over the last three years.

14. TreyP

TreyP "F" you Bill

Brian great post and right on the money.

Doug, you can always be proud of what you accomplished in PC. Each race was better then the last and I will always be proud to be part of it. Can't wait until the situation is right that you can bring it back to PC. I know people want racing back in PC, now the question is are they willing to go the extra mile to bring it back?

15. Tundranation

Tundranation Active Member

one question that wont have to be asked if people go the extra mile and bring back racing to PC " do we have voluteers ? " There is one dedicated hardcore group that is chomping at the bit to have a race !!!!!!!!!!!!!! damn I miss racing at PC .............

16. TRichards

TRichards Member

So pretty much it comes down to having 200 racers pony up 500 bucks entry fee to get the series going again and the permit fees have to be paid 90 days in advance. Is that right?
    Doug, you did a great job with the series. I was disappointed that I sold my truck and wasn't able to enter any of your races. However the PC racing series needs to come back. If it comes down to money, you need to be upfront on what it takes for how many entries and an entry fee to make it feasible for you to continue to put on even a smaller series. Maybe 3-4 races.
    It true you don't know what you have until it gone. Don't give up. You had the most organized and forward thinking ideas going. The volunteers were top notch. Someday, with dedicated people like you and your group I think it will be possible.

17. BW979

BW979 Member

Doug, Doug, Doug and everybody else start making some noise lets get our backyard back.

18. SicRic

SicRic Member

Charging a small fee to all spectators is a great Idea. They do it down in the CODE series. I'm not sure How that would be implemented since it is a big area....

I hate the fact that I never got to race DRIVE, We did volunteered in some races, but we never got to race in PC....Perhaps a PRO-10 Race??

19. NBuckel

NBuckel Member

Short course in PC?? I like that idea...

20. baja619

baja619 Well-Known Member

The only time spectators are charged at CODE is if the event is held on private property like at Jacume where it is Indian land or if the spectators are entering private property where the land owners wish to make a couple bucks each car load.