1. Forum membership has its advantages....

2500HD Chase truck Long Travel susp

Discussion in 'Shop - Suspension & Steering' started by TimG_AZ, Sep 24, 2006.

1. TimG_AZ

TimG_AZ Member

I need to build a chase truck on a 2500HD Duramax/allison. I looked in the business directory and found fabtech makes a long travel kit for this truck.

does anyone else have a long travel kit for the chevy 2500HD ?

also to put 35 BFG KR's on it will it also need to be lifted or just glass fenders with the LT kit?

thanks for the help.

Tim

2. Brandon_Charley

Brandon_Charley Formerly "Cracka Racing"

Fabtech doesn't make real long travel kits, they just call them that, they're really just lift kits so if you really need long travel you are going to need something custom.

3. Ryno

Ryno Well-Known Member

Everything right now is a lift kit. CST, Fabtech, etc. To run's 35's...you gotta lift it. You can run a 33" tire stock. I put Bilsteins on mine, and it rides 200% better. I haven't seen an HD with glass on it.

4. 1450-ranger

1450-ranger Well-Known Member

Look into Blitzrkrieg as they make steering kits for the HD's. Nice work

www.bmsoffroad.com

5. deleted

deleted ----

I have a CST on mine... I will sell it.

6. John_Bitting

John_Bitting Administrator

The fabtech kit looked nice at SEMA last year but I heard was having some problems blowing out balljoints and then uniballs.

Attached Files:

7. TimG_AZ

TimG_AZ Member

Thanks for all the help guys. Really appreciate it. Found a Camburg LT kit. May end up just lifting like you guys are saying. thanks again, tim

8. Brutpwr

Brutpwr Member

Don't know anything about the steering kit mentioned earlier but I would look into it as these trucks do have steering problems especially when lifted and running larger tires.

Jason :)

9. CMazzulla

CMazzulla Member

I know a guy that can sell you a long travel kit, pm me for the phone number

Last edited: Sep 28, 2006
  10. PBR

PBR Well-Known Member

brian kudela's company www.lightracing.com does hd's for the military and he makes really trick stuff.

don't put a "lift kit" on it if you want to chase with it, you will kill the steering and ball joints.

11. Benny Metcalf

Benny Metcalf Member

Good point Ollie, Maybe just a little bigger tire on it....

12. johnnyweb

johnnyweb Well-Known Member

i would stick to stock suspension, little larger good a/t tires,maybe some nice shocks. possibly a winch and some nice lights to help in a extraction situation. set up the bed to hold your tires, tools, supplies, etc. also a way to lock your tools up when they are in the bed and spend your $ on race car parts, spares etc. the long travel lift will do nothing for your cargo load carring and trailer hauling capability. which is the primary job of your chase truck. just my opinion!!

13. partybarge_pilot

partybarge_pilot Well-Known Member

Hahahaha, Sorta like that kid that tried to go through Simpsons last year and blew both BJ's within 100 yards of each other. Those guys were out there for a very long time.

14. Chase 2

Chase 2 Well-Known Member

Save the lifting and fancey suspension for pre-runners and two wheel drive freeway play toys. Keep the 4X4 chase truck as a work horse you can depend on.

15. PBR

PBR Well-Known Member

i would recommend the torsion keys, fox make a shock just for the front of the hd's with the torsion key lift (i think bitting has them on his rig) and some 285's on the stock wheels. some heavy duty tie rod sleeves and you will be dialed in.

16. baja619

baja619 Well-Known Member

This would be the best option by far. Check out the site for a video hitting a "whoop style test section" with the light bump stops. the vehicle was able to travel something like 20% faster in complete control.

17. Kritter

Kritter Krittro Campbell

No issues...even at 40mph thru start finish several times, although I cant say the truck as a whole held up! The only way they could have pushed the truck harder would have been if it was caged.