351m and 460 horsepower

Discussion in 'Shop - Engine' started by rj_krueger, Oct 22, 2012.

1. rj_krueger

rj_krueger Member

I am looking for the horse power ratings for a 351m and a 460. we currently have a 351m in our truck and a looking to see if it would be worth puting a 460 in it.
  2. Wild bill

Wild bill Active Member

I currently own a 79 bronco that originally had a 351m. It was a turd on power and mileage. Pulled it and went with a 400m and warmed it up with aftermarket cam, etc. It still was a turd. I kick myself for not going with a 460. I have a 502 BBF itching to go in the bronco......

You are about 280hp with a 351m and easy 400 hp with a 460.
  3. BRINGTHERUCKUS

BRINGTHERUCKUS Nimrod de PMC

the 460 is great for cheap burly power, but its heavy that's the only downside. the 460 in the Stock full gets along pretty good. and its raced about 3+ years on oil changes and one rear main seal. Compression test have always comeback great so no need to rebuild. The motor can get on the pipe pretty good too.
  4. Baja Fool

Baja Fool Well-Known Member

Go with the 460....torque for days and reliable.
  5. j10-401

j10-401 Active Member

I don't know what your budget is but we ran an SVO 514 in our 8 truck for years that thing was a torque monster would pull like a tractor for days. Great engine, big heavy truck running 37s that thing would get up and go.
  6. Das Krueg

Das Krueg New Member

Our budget is minimal. We are doing as much of the fabrication as we can. The idea is to just get started.
  7. CraigMT

CraigMT Active Member

Put in the 460.

You can build the 351/400M to make good power but it will be prohibitively expensive and the 460 doesn't weigh much more than the 400M.

We built a stroker 514 with Keith Black pistons, Eagle H beam rods and offset ground 460 crank for around $2500. It makes 390 HP/440 TQ to the ground through a C6, NP205, 9 inch and 37" tires. Tough and reliable power.
  8. OFFRD-JNKIE

OFFRD-JNKIE Well-Known Member

Put a sbc in it more power and less money than a ford...lol
  9. CraigMT

CraigMT Active Member

LOL! Challenge accepted! you bring the sbc... I'll bring the stroker bbf for power/money comparison! :)
  10. j10-401

j10-401 Active Member

Ha, I'll take the 514 any day that engine ran 3 full seasons with minimal prep. And would move that 8 truck along real well. Considering it had aluminum heads and the reliability it gave us the cost to build it was pretty reasonable. The fact that the engine made so much torque it wasn't running on the ragged edge of exploding the whole race n order to move that truck.
  11. CraigMT

CraigMT Active Member

I just checked the kit price for a 514 cubic inch stroker build just like I run. And it's been dead reliable for over 7 years...

$1350 buys you a cast steel crank, Eagle forged 'H' beam rods and Keith Black 11 to 1 HyperU pistons, file fit rings and bearings.

Topped off with D3VE smogger heads (91 octane pump gas) puts 390 HP/440 TQ to the ground on a chassis dyno through 37" tires! Adding some Kasse aluminum heads and 105 octane would jump it to well over 450 HP at the wheels and ridiculous TQ.

I also hold a timeslip from the local 1/4 mile track that shows a 12.99 quarter mile in this 5500lb 4wd truck at 3800ft elevation! :)