1. Forum membership has its advantages....

42" BFG Tires- The Desert Just Got SMALLER! WOW!

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by Frankenstein, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Frankenstein

Frankenstein New Member

The 42" BFG Tires were awesome. We had to call it quits at180 miles but for those miles we were ruling the desert. The Drive train package with the 42" Tires is the Ticket! My co-driver, RJ just keeps saying WOW!
    Clearance the truck for the massive 42" tire was easy. We just had to trim some fiberglass. Beefing up the drive train and developing a wheel with TrailReady Wheels in such a short time frame, from when we saw the opportunity to run the new Development Tire, took a lot of work. TrailReady made the wheels custom for my truck, they held up great with no issues. We ran hard and heavy with 2 spares and 75 gallons of fuel. With the help from Geiser Bros. and Nate at Blitz Creed, we upgraded our lug pattern to 6 on 6 1/2 and a new TubeWorks housing. We now utilized overdrive on our 4L80 built by Zero Gravity Transmissions at speeds over 100-110 miles per hour. 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gear are so close that the motor never stops pulling strong. Jason at TubeWorks developed a new output shaft for the 4L80 that allowed the transmission to connect to his under drive. The transmission and under drive package is the key to running the 42" BFG tires. Because of all the upgrades and the amount of time we had to work with, we were not able to test the drive train and tire package before qualifying. Our first test session was going to be qualifying, but during the practice lap a cap on the third member broke due to previous fatigue. After not being able to qualify we had to start in 39th position.
    During the first lap at the Mint 400 the Truck felt dominating. 1 Cars and UTs just kept coming to us as we passed them. We passed several formidable Unlimited Truck competitors in the BIG stuff. I am told that we picked up more than 30 positions in the first lap. Frankenstein was charging through the dust and holding pace with the leaders. The approach angle of the 42" tire on the terrain keeps the tire from flailing around. It just rolls over the rock instead of bouncing over the rock. The clearance down the middle allows you to center the obstacle instead of having to drive around it. When you hit the soft silty stuff, they just go right through it.
    Half way through the second lap the bolts holding the converter to the flex plate sheered and we lost an ear off the converter. We made the mistake of going for a quick fix. We put back in the 2 bolts and welded the converter to the flex plate in place of the third bolt. Having not compensating for the lost weight of the converter ear, the motor vibrated. We took a guess at how much weight was lost and welded a piece of steel to the flex plate. The weight was close but the vibration was still there. After we went back to racing the vibration caused the harmonic balance to loosen and on its way off, it destroyed the key way on the crankshaft. After several attempts to fix it we reluctantly had to pull the plug on the race! I want to thank the sponsors who made the most incredible 100 mile lap of my life possible! Geiser Bros., Rick and Jeff for everything they do for me; BFGoodrich for the privilege and honor to be the first to race on 42" tires; TrailReady Wheels, Larry for developing the 20' wheel in such a short time that made this possible; TubeWorks, Jason the under drive; Zero Gravity Transmissions, a transmission that has held up to my abuse going on five years; King Shocks, for helping customizing the shocks to control the 42” tire and giving me 2” more bump in the rear; and my family for all the time I was not able to spend with them, because I had to dedicate so much of my time to put this package together. WOW, what a ride!!!
    The Desert Just Got SMALLER!!!
    Our next event will be displaying Frankenstein at the Lucas Oil Race at Speedworld in Surprise, AZ. This year we will be racing for Fuel the Cure, which is a foundation to raise awareness and money for Type 1 Diabetes. We were brought into the world of Type 1 Diabetes 6 months ago when our 7 year old Wyatt, who is my inspiration to me when it comes to toughen things out. If anyone would like to help by displaying Fuel for the Cure stickers on your race vehicle or be a part of this foundation please contact me (602) 463-0936, or Kristin (602) 677-4084.

(+4) 4 people like this.
  2. dan200

dan200 #BSF200

Todd, who else is gonna start running these monsters and what other orgs are allowing them?

3. Lifeflight

Lifeflight Active Member

I love the fact that the desert just got "SMALLER" for you. The fact remains that those 42" tires just made the desert a whole lot deeper, rougher and siltier for everyone else in the world. But i guess thats fine for those who will soon get the 42's. But for everyoune else, It's time to figure out how to race through now more monsterous holes dug by giant monster truck tires. I guess thats why there use to be a tire size limit rule. I guess the next step will be truley monster truck tires 60" tall. those should get you through the desert niceley. But not for anyone else racing. But i know you guys are stoked to be the first to play with the BIG tires. I remember when Vessles and Mears got the first 39's way back when and how those tires made the desert smaller and faster. But now the desert is too torn up for the 39's. NOW we need the 42's.

(+1) 1 person likes this.
  4. Zambo

Zambo Well-Known Member

I assume this is Todd? You know that Mark hates it when you call the truck that name!

I think its great that you are doing what you're doing for diabetes. However I am vehemently opposed to bigger tires. Bad for everybody else in the sport. As you may know there is a lot of discussion about this here already in this thread:
    http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php/92548-Mint-400-updates

I am especially interested in how SNORE justifies letting you run 42" tires when the rule book clearly spells out in black and white that 40" is the limit. Don't get me wrong, if you called and they said run 'em then as far as I am concerned you guys are doing what you think is best. My problem is with the rulemaking process and with the strategic wisdom of changing the tire size limit at this critical point in time in our sport.

5. tofarnorth

tofarnorth Member

and once upon a time 37,s were way better than 35,

6. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

They are, but a 39/40 is no advantage over a 37". Now a 42 over the 37 is... if your beast doesn't break in half.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 29, 2011
  7. QurtysLyn

QurtysLyn Active Member

Glad you guys got the rear end fixed (I was in the Tacoma that pulled you out before Qualifying). I just hope I never have to change one of those monsters, they're nearly as big as I am.

8. dsrtdck

dsrtdck Active Member

That explains the reason you punted us twice!!! No need for that when you saw that we were trying to pass another vehicle and I acknowledged that you were there. Thanks for the tore up rear cage and the broken hand that my driver received for that BONEHEAD move!!!

9. jowoog

jowoog Well-Known Member

POPCORN !!! come-ith

ps : i think the rule should stay the same ...

10. Sheaco

Sheaco Well-Known Member

I beg to differ Fly, IMHO The 39" BFGs are much better then their smaller 37" brother. I can only speak for the BFG brand, as I have not raced with other brands and different sizes. A 39" tire has so much side bite that it literally rockets you out of a corner, although the G's forces seem to be much Higher too (insert head/neck restraint here). We use to run 37s with inner liners, now with the larger 39" we do not need to. I do know that some of The Sister trucks to Ours had issues in the beginning with Axels & heating Brakes up, but that seems to be fixed. Trust me as a Co rider, I was dreading the larger tire,but have come to love them. my two cents.

11. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

Yeah if you look at my post I did a diagram showing deflection. There is a ton of extra rubber to wear off too... Should last longer.

12. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

A half ton of tires tho.... man

13. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

Pics or it didn't happen...

14. dsrtdck

dsrtdck Active Member

How about some incar footage?? This isn't the first time he has done that to us!!!

15. charlie_brown

charlie_brown Well-Known Member

Bigger tires pros/cons

Pros
    ½ MPH faster
    ???
    ???
    nothing

cons
    bad for the environment
    bigger ruts and holes for EVERYBODY
    bigger/heaver, take up more room in chase trucks
    because heaver could be a deciding factor in a race if a racer stops to change or get to next pit which makes a unsafe vehicle. (look at recent flip on lake bed in san felipe).
    More money

I think at a time when the environment is being looked at very much and all the challenges of trying to keep open land and keep racing in our desert, I for one don’t think the 42” tire should be aloud. The advantage is only there until everybody is using them, then we will go to 44 and 48 hell, lets just bring out grave digger.

16. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

Sweet! Post it! I'll get the popcorn and soda (with the crushed ice) Wanna nachos?

17. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

Why do you think RG built the monster truck? he is always one step ahead isn't he?

18. mendez

mendez Member

what are the advantages of having bigger tires besides more clearance?

19. 07FJRog

07FJRog Well-Known Member

does this make much difference when using a 17" wheel and 39 tire? compared to a 20" wheel and 42 tire?
    also is there much tire/wheel combo weight difference?

just trying to understand.

Rog

20. Matt Stevens

Matt Stevens New Member

If I was in a 16 car and saw Wyllie's 8 truck coming up in the rear veiw running 42's I would stop passing and start moving. Tear it up Todd!