1. Forum membership has its advantages....

5.7 vortec carb install

Discussion in 'Shop - Engine' started by FIGGY, Nov 9, 2009.

1. FIGGY

FIGGY Member

hey whats up guys was wondering if anyone knows about the 5.7 vortec and if it is a pain in the ass to install a carb and installing a manifold. i have a 97 chevy and i just want to get rid of the computer and go a little more old school. i pretty much know what im going to do, im just wondering if anyone has any tips before i go and buy parts and get down and dirty. i plan on getting rid of the computer i dont want to deal with sensors and S^&*. this is my toy so yeah if anyone has any info and what parts i should go with give me some info thanks guys.

2. scottm

scottm Well-Known Member

The 96-99 vortecs have excellent heads and run great, stock or carbed. Edelbrock makes Performer vortec manifolds like the 7116 shown below. You will need a different fuel pump or pressure regulator for a carb. Then you need to figure out an ignition. A regular hei or msd distributor should work but Im not positive.. Also beware your emissions legal will be history, and could affect resale value.

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc/manifolds/chevy/perf_rpm-sb.shtml

3. manicmechanic

manicmechanic Active Member

I would only worry about a stock vortec leaving my carbed rig in the dust!

4. FIGGY

FIGGY Member

YEAH im not to worried about the resale this is my toy its already in process of being completly transformed hahah. my plans originaly was to install a 6.0 vortec but i know i can get alot of power out of this engine doing it right. this should still be legal to drive anywhere. but it will mostly be in the dirt. im just tired of the having to deal with sensors ect. thanks man ill keep u posted.

5. bigtex

bigtex Active Member

You will also need a stand alone ecu for your trans. I belive you have a 4l60e which if you go carb will not know when to shift.

6. Ol' Curmudgeon

Ol' Curmudgeon RDC's resident crackpot

I don't know. You won't have to smog it in Yuma, but you'll be in violation of Fed law.

California has legally crushed cars with modified or missing smog equipment.

FI works better in the whoops anyway.

7. FIGGY

FIGGY Member

Thats why i stay out of california hahah....

8. FIGGY

FIGGY Member

yeah i actually got a turbo 400 BUT NOT INSTALLED JUST SITTING THERE . I'm hoping i dont have much problems with it. And well about the ecu idk. Hows thats gonna work i believe i would only have to worry about it if i went with my stock tranny right?

9. scottm

scottm Well-Known Member

Yes, you will only have to deal with the ecm on the stock 4l60e. You could keep the 4-sp 4l60 by putting a manual valve body in it, or run the th400.

10. FIGGY

FIGGY Member

So you your saying i wont have any problems with ecm if i run the stock tranny but i have to install the manual valve body. i get it now.

11. 63chevyll

63chevyll Member

and no speedo, but youll be ok with the TH400, and prob no guages.

the factory FI realy work well, im not sure why you want to get rid of if?

The factory cam in pretty tame and you can easily overcarb it

Should be interesting

12. Sparky

Sparky Active Member

IMHO, EFI>>>Carb. As others have said, that engine is great in stock form. Some bolt-on power adders and a tuner and you will be happy. And as someone else said, you are violating Federal emission laws by doing this, and CA isn't the only state that has crushed cars. Just because a state (or in your case, a county) does not have an inspection program does not mean that you can legally remove the equipment.