5 Cars get no respect!

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by Baja Jim, Feb 9, 2009.

1. Baja Jim

Baja Jim Active Member

If you haven't had a chance to ride or drive a 5 car, don't miss the chance. Drew Belk has been kind enough to let me drive his Seagrove built class 5 car 3 times, this time at Parker and let me tell you they are faster than people think. In a race with huge holes this short wheel based car did amazing. We were able to move through the field of cars and had a great time.

I sure would like to see more people consider racing in class 5. You may be surprised? This could be a fun class for anybody to race in so you may want to re-consider.
    1 person likes this.
  2. pappawheely

pappawheely O.G. Photo

You're a lucky dog Jim. :D

[​IMG]
  3. red-dirt

red-dirt Member

is that the new car or old car?
  4. 01_el_tiburon

01_el_tiburon Bait Fish

what were the results for class 5 ?

thx
    omar
  5. nimrod

nimrod KOOK!

I love the 5 cars! .....

To me the one big hindrance seems to be the incredible cost of the big type 4.........HOLY COW those things are expensive......That big type 4 is also one of the things that makes them so cool!

I think that is what kinda pushes people towards the 12 cars.......

If I ever get to race in my dream car it will be a 5 car.....Keep the dream alive!
  6. Power Monkey

Power Monkey Member

It looks like the turn out was good for the 5s. I was really hoping to make it to Parker again this year with our 5 car. We will be there next year.

Mint 400 here we come!:D
  7. Cheater

Cheater Active Member

The 12 motors cost way more buddy! These 5 motors are not tweaked like the 12 cars and they don't turn the kind of RPM's like 12 cars.
  8. Baja Jim

Baja Jim Active Member

This is Drew's old car, he has a new frame being built that is the same as this one. He had planned on having 2 of the same to race, but has maybe put that on the shelf to race a new Class 1 car? There may be a brand new frame available soon. From what I heard by the end of the 1st lap we had past all but 2 or 3 1100's and several 1000 cars. Unfortunately we lost the alternator before the race and the battery gave out at race mile 210. When we got it back running didn't feel like driving in the mud just to finish. Last year this car beat all the 10's and 12's
  9. <Cody Agee>

<Cody Agee> Whippersnapper!

As long as the 1600 class remians, 5 cars wont regain popularity
  10. bajafox

bajafox Accepted

Isn't bajabird building a new one? And wheezy is almost done with his...I hope this class stays alive and makes a comeback too. I remember seeing the Heger/McCullum 5 car in CODE a few years ago, one of the nicest one's I've ever seen
  11. Bill

Bill Carlos Danger

There was eight class fives at the last MORE race but only seven started due to the fact that one of them rolled while testing on Friday before the race.
  12. CEORanger

CEORanger Member

got to co-ride the 2003 SCORE san felipe 250 in a 5 unlimited and won. great ride. i guess what hurts these cars are the short wheelbase in the rough.
  13. Matt D

Matt D Boy Toy

i love 5cars!!! :D:D:D:p
  14. nimrod

nimrod KOOK!

I was told by a 5 car guy who just bought one from the same people that build yours that it was around 18K.......

I don't know the real facts for myself...........

How much does it cost for a type 1???

Holy cow I'm buying a go kart and heading out to Adams............
    1 person likes this.
  15. Cheater

Cheater Active Member

What costs more buying the race car or prepping it?:D
    Your right the cost to buy it is a little more but the rebuild costs are less and they go more miles between rebuilds.
  16. Baja Belk

Baja Belk Active Member

How so? You can go much faster in a 5 car while not spending a whole lot more money (maybe even less). Its wider track width makes it more stable in the turns for rookie drivers. Properly set up it will handle better in the rough. The rules are more lenient in the motor department, so you can get creative with power packages.

There's no reason why Class 5 shouldn't be a very popular class, except for the low entries. But stay tuned on that note........
  17. steve0we

steve0we Well-Known Member

I just wanted to post up that 2 class 5 cars will be coming in from Texas for sure next year to add to the mix. One will be running the Mint this year and the other is still in production. the 5 cars are making a comeback!
  18. wheezy

wheezy "PRO PHOTO"

Nice report. Looks like you had a blast, it's amazing what you can do with 105" and lots of horsepower!

Motor cost 12 vs 5open???
    Ask Jim Varshay about motor cost and prep per race. I'll be he's on par with the most expensive FAT built 1835 dry sump out there. :eek:

I only run a "little" 2332 and know I can't out drive it. YET...

Anyhow, there were eight 5open cars out at the MORE race as someone said. There are 2 more that would have been there if they were done being built. The class IS making a comeback; even if it is a small one. There are mix of ugly mutts like mine and fancy new rigs showing up at every race. Expect the year end MORE races to have a solid turnout of 5 cars every race due to the coalition. We'll be there for sure.

5 UNLIMITED is growing in part due to the efforts put forth by Mr. Irvine and Mr. Varshay AND OTHERS over at the 5 Unlimited Coalition.
    http://www.class5coalition.com
  19. Baja Jim

Baja Jim Active Member

Drew's old motor was a type 1 2275 and it out miled per hour the type 4 motorthats in the car now. The big difference was the torque. As far as engine cost, while the upfront cost of the type 4 is more the race to race prep is much less. To get the 2275 to stay at peak performance it needs to be fresh. The type 4 motor that we just raced at Parker was the same engine with just a leak down that we raced the 1000 with. As a matter of fact the car was just cleaned up with no major prep after the 1000 that should give you an idea of how tough these cars are. If Drew finishes the second 5 car it will have a type 1 in it.
  20. 5_guy

5_guy Member

Upland, CA. Parker,AZ. ST. Catherines, Ontario
    I can tell you that this class is just pure fun. However the cost is just too much. My experience is over 70K for prep to race SCORE series. For the local series i.e MORE, SNORE, MDR alot less due to the fact your not putting much mileage on the car. At 18K for a new FAT Motor plus front arms, cv's, etc is can add up real quick. But fun does come with a cost. I really enjoyed my time and accomplishments.