1. Forum membership has its advantages....

99 f-150 evap canister

Discussion in 'Shop - Engine' started by Millertime#83, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Millertime#83

Millertime#83 Member

i just got a 99 f-150 prerunner with a long travel front end deavers in the rear and fully caged truck and the rear evap canister that used to go between the frame rails was taken out. I still have the canister but im not sure what do now with it all unhooked and unplugged? does anyone know what im suppose to do?

2. Alex Paterson

Alex Paterson Well-Known Member

Help me a little and I should be able to help you out.

-Are all of the hoses and electrical plugs still down their?

-Do you have a check engine light?

-Do you need to pass emissions?

Let me know.

Alex

3. Millertime#83

Millertime#83 Member

yes the hoses and wiring is still back there

it had an engine code and its got a miss in the 3rd cylinder most likely because of stock plugs but it came up with a code for the evap canister

no i do not need to pass emissions i live out in arizona and they dont require it here

thanks for the help

4. JEFFRPM

JEFFRPM Non Sugar Coated

Your truck has OBDII emmisions system the evap system if removed will always set off a code and check engine light, it will also do this if you fuel up with the engine running or forget to tighten the gas cap. their is no way around it. [unless one of the OEM EFI tuners out their have figured out how to delete it]

5. Millertime#83

Millertime#83 Member

ya i have checked the engine codes and there are about three of em that go back to the evap canister or vacuum leaks which im guessing are the lines that come off of the canister and its also showing a misfire code which could lead to a vacuum leak but idk if it would be part of the evap system or if i have a bad plug or cop and im gonna check all the plugs and cop s today and see what happens

6. Millertime#83

Millertime#83 Member

no ideas?

7. desertspeed

desertspeed Member

Do you still have the stock gas tank, or do you have a cell?

There are 2 things that could be the issue:
    1. On the stock fuel tank, there is an electrical sensor that monitors the tank for any pressure loss- for example, if your gas cap is off or leaking. If you no longer have your stock tank, you will need to build some sort of sealed container for this sensor.
    2. Your charcoal canister needs to be re-hooked up, both to the vent lines and there is also an electrical sensor on the charcoal canister itself.

I can email you a factory diagram of the vent lines if you need that- send me a pm with your email.

8. Co-Dog

Co-Dog Active Member

[​IMG]

This is from Randy S's street legal Lightning prerunner.

9. Alex Paterson

Alex Paterson Well-Known Member

This is how I set mine up. The little aluminum tank is for the pressure sensor.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have cleaned the routing of the lines up a bit since these were shot and I want to make them a bit more sano still.

Alex