1. Forum membership has its advantages....

AAM 11.5" 4 link

Discussion in 'Shop - Suspension & Steering' started by Ian J, Apr 5, 2012.

1. Ian J

Ian J New Member

doing a build with a AAM 11.5" diff out of a silverado and want to set it up with a Triangulated four link
    just wondering if any body has done one of these as I was looking at the best way to mount-fabricate the the top arm mount as it has the cast center and I presume you wouldnt weld on to it.
    Im putting a 1000HP Duramax in front of it other wise I would use a nine inch

2. pwerwagn

pwerwagn Active Member

Build a truss on top, tie it into the diff and the tubes. You can weld cast with the right methods. I have heard of 2 11.5 AAM's bending non-trussed under chase/prerunner type dodges so you get to kill 2 birds with one stone.

3. scottm

scottm Well-Known Member

You can weld to it. Preheat it to at least 200F (300 is better) and keep it warm with fiberglass blanket insulation while welding. Mig welding with regular steel filler works fine, but the most ductile weld is Ni-99 filler with tig. If you truss it just on the upper half, it will distort into a smile. To reduce distortion, preload the ends down to your bench, then work from inside out, welding a couple inches at a time on each side.

4. atomicjoe23

atomicjoe23 Well-Known Member

If he didn't want to weld to the cast center-section couldn't he fab a truss system that would weld to the axle tubes and could be bolted to the cast centersection using the diff-cover bolts?

I believe that someone on this forum built a rear truss for another axle with a cast center section which had a removeable portion behind the diff cover so that the cover could still be easily removed for maintenance and inspection. I don't remember which thread it was, but I can look through my subscriptions and try to find it.

5. scottm

scottm Well-Known Member

That sounds oddly familiar..

6. atomicjoe23

atomicjoe23 Well-Known Member

Yep, you would have been the one I was talking about. . .

7. Ian J

Ian J New Member

Thanks Guys,
    Was wondering if it needed trusing as I was worried about the cast -tube section the diff is as heavy as hell but it is a unknown to me but would expect a four link to put a lot of load on those joins as the center cast section wont flex one bit.
    might do a full truss and look at welding it to the center of the top as it is an inch thick there may look at at a rear cover plate to tie it in as well.
    when welding the cast section is it best to heat the whole lot and keep let it cool down slowly?
    also with pre loading the tube how much is needed to pre load it to put a full truss on it? I was going to weld to a rigid jig as well