Angled rear shocks

Discussion in 'Shop - Suspension & Steering' started by X9 Racer, Jul 3, 2008.

1. X9 Racer

X9 Racer Member

How much can you angle forward the shocks on a long travel leaf sprung rearend and still dampen adequately?
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I have 59 degrees and it works great.
  3. mojavehanna

mojavehanna Member

Ive read beyond 30* and the shocks lose a large majority of their effientcy. Keep in mind that due to being set up at an angle initially as the suspension compresses they will angle even more and become even less effiecient as the need for dampening becomes more important.
  4. X9 Racer

X9 Racer Member

5. Bulldozer

Bulldozer Well-Known Member

I recommend a few degrees angled towards the rear.
  6. X9 Racer

X9 Racer Member

Can you elaborate?
  7. mojavehanna

mojavehanna Member

I have my rear shocks setup this way, 10* lean to the rear.

On a leaf sprung vehicle as the susp. compresses the springs get longer and move in an upward arc towards the frame. This arc is why the rearward angle is recommended. If the shocks are mounted at 90* (verticle) at full bump then when the axle is lowered to full droop the axle will drop down and forward. The shock angle you end up with will be the proper amount of rearward lean. By setting the shocks up this way you achieve a 1:1 shock ratio which will allow for equal amounts of dampening from full droop to full compression.
  8. matt_helton

matt_helton Racer

15-20 deg forward at full bump.
  9. jesusgatos

jesusgatos Active Member

I respectfully disagree. Take apart your spring-pack and cycle the suspension to full compression. As you cycle the suspension, plot the axle-path (from the side of the vehicle). Yes, the springs are going to 'stretch' and the axle will move towards the rear, but the axle is going to be the furthest back when the front half of the leafsprings are flat and horizontal. On most trucks though, the axle will continue to move PAST horizontal before it reaches full compression. So ideally, I think you should set-up your shocks and bumpstops to be perpendicular to the axlepath through the last few inches of wheel-travel. If you have to compromise, I'd much rather angle the shocks forward than backwards.
  10. Bulldozer

Bulldozer Well-Known Member

We've beaten the subject to death on DR, I'm too lazy to get into it again. lol

http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/showthread.php?t=64624
  11. blacktaco666

blacktaco666 Member

when my fabricator friend was building my rear bedcage over my springs, he asked me what i wanted my shock angle to be. he recommended a few degrees tilted towards the rear, but i insisted on a few degrees towards the front and I'm happy with how it came out... since it's only a few degrees, i dont think the ratio would be changed much, at least in my application.
  12. mojavehanna

mojavehanna Member

13. jesusgatos

jesusgatos Active Member

Thanks for the link, but I don't agree with what most of the guys on DR are saying about rearward-leaning shocks.

I just re-read what I wrote in my first reply and edited it to make sense:

14. mojavehanna

mojavehanna Member

I set my rear shocks to angle rearward initially to salvage as much of my bed space as possible. After I cycled the suspension a few times I found that it worked pretty well for me... thats all I care about. Im not really interested in debates. I think most people angle their shocks forward just because it "looks" cool. But thats just me... what do I know?

Like I said, I check your site. I used your suspension schematics, thanks for putting that stuff out there for garage fab. guys like me to utilize, it really helps.
  15. jesusgatos

jesusgatos Active Member

I'm a garage fab guy too.
    1 person likes this.
  16. mojavehanna

mojavehanna Member

Your garage must be bigger than mine. ;)