1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Another ebay scam

Discussion in 'Look out !' started by FABRICATOR, Sep 23, 2005.

1. FABRICATOR

FABRICATOR Well-Known Member

Watch out for a new ebay scam. I got hooked by this one. You get an official looking email from ebay announcing that another member has a question about something you have for sale. The sender’s address includes "ebay" in it and the email looks 100% authentic with all the links and logos, but it’s not really from ebay. Trouble is ebay uses dozens of different addresses, so you can’t tell by looking whether it’s from them or not.

When you click on the link to answer the question, it takes you to a 100% authentic looking ebay sign on page. But again that sign on page is not linked to ebay. When you try to sign in you instantly send someone else your ebay password. You will finally know something is wrong when you try to go to “my ebay” or continue on to try to answer the question and it asks you to sign in again. What’s wild is that some of the links do link to ebay pages. I forwarded the original email to spoof @ebay.com and they said it was not from ebay. But something happened because a few hours later ebay administratively changed my password. It took some work to finally get back into my account.

Be careful with any correspondence that looks like it’s from ebay or paypal. If you need to log on, it’s better to go to those sites from the web instead of linking there from an email.

2. Superfab

Superfab Member

I got an e-mail that was supposedly from pay-pal wanting me to update my account info. Funny because I've never used or had a pay-pal account! They are allways fishing so beware of traps like this. It looked so real I could see how someone would get nailed by this one.

3. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

A buddy of mine got Phished by this.

NEVER EVER RESPOND TO A UNSOLICED EMAIL FROM EBAY OR PAY PAL.

Ebay and Paypal both have messages to check WHEN YOU LOG IN. THOSE ARE THE ONLY ONES they do not email at all. The only time ebay emails you is when you first start your account and they only send you info and if you asked customer service a question then and only then will they email you.

4. BSchlimme

BSchlimme Member

One way to see if it is real is to enter a bogus login id and password. If the service is real it would cross check the information immediately and tell you your id or password is wrong.

I like to use: ID: A$$HOLE PASSWORD: NigerianScammersSuck

Usually goes through and then with a bunch of garbage for the rest of the info they want the system accepts it.

5. FABRICATOR

FABRICATOR Well-Known Member

That's pretty much true for Paypal but not for ebay if you're an active seller. I get about 5 legitimate ebay e-mails a week. I would guess that I have forwarded at least 100 spoofs to ebay and paypal. All but 2 were confirmed bogus! Most, but not all, official e-mails now include your full name at the top. It's probably just a matter of time before the A-holes get and use that too.