Any info on CV's with grease zerks!!!! (video)

Discussion in 'Shop - Driveline' started by sl1111, Jul 16, 2008.

1. sl1111

sl1111 Member

2. Ryan_P

Ryan_P Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

3. Aflac

Aflac Member

On Jeff Quinn's Class 1 we added Zerk Fittings the CV Joint. When we stopped for gas or a tire change we would add a pump or three of grease into the CV Joint. Call Mckenzie's and see if they can help you out.
  4. goofballracer

goofballracer PAT DAILEY #1 FAN

That Is An Awsome Invention I Wonder If You Can Make Your Own For Less Money? Im Definatly Going To Get These One Day!
  5. TNT race photo

TNT race photo Active Member

6. danzar

danzar Active Member

with all good also comes bad. The problem arises when something hits one of the zerks and knocks it off, the cv grease which is about 150 degrees hotter all comes out of the newly formed hole, dirt, mud, and water all take it's place. Needless to say you end up changing out a cv in the desert, ruining your high dollar custom driving suit and a chance for the win, and 10 min trying to put out the brush fire the grease started. I know, you are going to say it will almost never happen, but it does. Make sure they are protected, and you don't half ass the install with cheap parts.
  7. Kritter

Kritter Krittro Campbell

make a flange with a counterbore so it cant be broken off...problem solved.
  8. JAM 1600

JAM 1600 Well-Known Member

After greasing remove plug and then install an allen plug ! Problem solved again. But as it was stated earlier with good comes bad, now that you do not have to remove cv's to grease you will not be inspecting cv's as much either and when the star or cage fails you have just bought an axle along with a cv so what is your time worth ?
  9. partybarge_pilot

partybarge_pilot Well-Known Member

Flush mount zerks that take the needle fitting. Also, if your drive flange are thick enough, you could drill and tap holes in the and not need the plates.
  10. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

Make the plate a little thicker and counter sink the zerk.
  11. la2baja

la2baja Familia

I expect that if you need to add grease during a race you have a damaged boot or there is something else going wrong (creating heat) to require grease mid race. As far as in the shop... Take the CV apart, clean it, inspect it and grease by hand. If everything was done right in prep and a boot hasn't torn you don't need a zerk on your CV.

My 2 pesos
    (+1) 1 person likes this.
  12. sl1111

sl1111 Member

I just called IMCO and spoke to Greg. He addressed a few issues......

The Zerk whole is machined into the flange, so it can be removed and replaced with a 90 degree fitting or swivel fitting. This will allow greasing when mounted inside the trailing arm flange if your outer CV is recessed into the trailing arm.

They also come with a set screw that plugs the grease hole. You can remove the Zerk after greasing and place the set screw in the hole if you don't want the fitting left in place.

It is a standard grease Zerk so any standard pitch thread fitting should fit.

The flange's are 1\2 inch thick. He said they did not have to change axles and have had no customers needing to change so far. I guess the jury is still out on that one. From what he said, your axle ends are in the same location relative to the output and axle cups, just the star is slid a little more inward on the spline. I would assume it would however change the angle a little.

Contact Greg or David at IMCO for more info.....

I am not wanting these to just add grease and never take apart my CV's again. Rather, I have always liked to assemble my CV's and axles dry. Bolt them up with thread-locker and safety wire, and then add the grease with a needle. The needle is time consuming and often break. I would use 3 or 4 needles on a set. This just makes it possible to eliminate the needle portion and also add a few pumps once in a while.
  13. GHAcompanies1596

GHAcompanies1596 Active Member

We drill all our cv's for zert fittings. just as they mentioned above, we usually have someone do a couple pumps at fuel stops. we had porter do two sets for us.
  14. Brandon Johnson

Brandon Johnson Hairy butt

Well put.
    (+1) 1 person likes this.
  15. dezertdoug

dezertdoug Member

We will be doing a set of the new Gear One grease able 934 CV's on our prerunner.(LS7/Albins) We will see how the hold up and the ease of maintenance. We are told that this is the first set out from them. Time will tell.
  16. wheezy

wheezy "PRO PHOTO"

Man, I got a good laugh thinking about my first time building / greasing / installing CVs. What a goopy gewey greasy mess that was.

+1 on the dry install, loctite, safteywire THEN grease method. No loose CV bolts due to grease!
  17. Steve0

Steve0 Active Member

The zerks looks like a good idea if protected. It looked like they where pumping multi-purpose bearing grease into thos things, that not a good idea.
  18. rlury

rlury Member

post how they hold up we run 934 ls6/albins as well, would like to know what the turn out is on those are, and are you running duel cv boots on your cvs or a single boot?
  19. _deleted_

_deleted_ doesnt not

all you need is a helicopter and a mechanic inside w/ his fire fighting buddy...DUH!!
  20. 5racer

5racer Well-Known Member

that will make you wife happy ,less bellray in house makes wife real happy and me also .bolt dry no mess i like it.