Anyone have any experience with GM's new 6L80E 6-speed Automatic Transmission?

Discussion in 'Shop - Driveline' started by Chris Tobin, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Chris Tobin

Chris Tobin Well-Known Member

The 4L60E in my Tahoe went out and I am looking into getting a 6L80E 6-speed transmission to replace it.

Has anyone out there had any experience with this transmission yet?

Thanks,
    Chris
  2. FABRICATOR

FABRICATOR Well-Known Member

Are they available over the counter yet?
    Toyota is supposed to be using them already.
    The ECU is very programmable and inside the case, which should make it easily adaptable.
    They can be setup automatic, or fully manual with a paddle shifter.
    Nothing in common with the older style transmissions like the 4L80e or T400.
    Very low first, and tall overdrive. Much development was for better mileage.
    Nothing first hand yet though.
  3. JONES PERFORMANCE

JONES PERFORMANCE Member

this is the one in the 07 duramax's isnt it?
  4. Samco Fab

Samco Fab Well-Known Member

I dont think so, dont quote me, but I am pretty sure it is behind the new trucks with the 6.0 cast iron block gas engine, and the new H2's with the 6.2 all aluminum gas engine.

It looks like it would bolt right up to a LS type engine.
  5. Chris Tobin

Yes that is the one I am talking about. I do not have an LS engine but I am thinking that I can swap the bell housing section from my 4L60E to the 6L80E to allow it to bolt up to my 5.7-liter engine.

I don't think I have the budget to get a new LS engine right now on top of the cost of the transmission.

Has anyone even driven one of the new vehicles with this transmission yet???

I also need to work out the details on how to controll the trans, I believe the TCU is internal so it may only need +12V and ground but it may need a lot more than that too!:confused:

I might be ablt to get the trans for around the same price as rebuilding my 4L60E so that is why I am looking at doing the swap. I think it will give me better performance and mileage too!!!:D
  6. Ryno

Ryno Well-Known Member

07's still have the Allison. Why in the heck would you get rid of the best tranny out there for a 1 ton truck? The 6L80E is backing up the gas motors. Now that the big block is gone, the diesels are the only motor with the Allison transmission from GM.
  7. Chris Tobin

Bump... Has anyone had any experience with this trans yet? Either in an OE application like a Tahoe, Escalade or H2 or in a swap application like I am thinking of...

Thanks,
    CT
  8. SoCalRally

SoCalRally Member

My question is since the transmission selector lever only has 4 positions (1-3 + D) to match the four different gears in your original 4L60E, how would you get that to work with a 6-speed auto box? Or would still be able to just put it in 'D', and let the auto box electronics pick the correct gear (1-6) for you? In other words, you'd be able to manually select 1-3, but not 4-6 (which would only be selectable by the auto box electronics based on its programming?)
  9. Chris Tobin

I believe the setup GM is using in their applications has "D" for full auto and a position for manual tap-up/tap-down mode. So I would put it in D for normal operation then drop down to M in the 3 position and use up down switches to shift manually.

What do you think?
  10. FastTimmy

FastTimmy New Member

I have herd mention of Steve Culhane (?sp) working on some stuff...
  11. Chris Tobin

Any contact info for Steve???

Thanks,
    Chris

Found it:

Culhane Racing Transmission
    18273 Grand Avenue #6
    Lake Elsinore, CA 92530
    Phone: 951-678-1669
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2007
  12. Chris_Wilson

Chris_Wilson Well-Known Member

So has anyone put a 6L80E or 6L90E in a prerunner yet? If so did you use paddle shifters? And what computer are you using to control it?
  13. Curtis Guise

Curtis Guise Administrator

And how much do they cost?
  14. FABRICATOR

FABRICATOR Well-Known Member