Baja 1000, Class 10 vs Score Lite "Class 12"

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by fullthrottle, Nov 28, 2009.

1. fullthrottle

fullthrottle Member

Looking over the final results I noticed that only 4 out of 12 Class 10's finished and three of them were VW powered. I also noticed that 11 out of 14 Score Lites finished and the top four Score Lites beat the top Class 10 winner on time.

What happened to the water pumper Class 10's (Honda power per the entry list) and why are Score Lites beating Class 10's?
  2. pdailey

pdailey #billsson

I'll tell you another thing that I saw that was interesting. At MM310 Bean in his 1600 car was beating all but one class 10 and two Score lites and was right on there butt when he went by. The little 1600 that could.................
  3. dislocated1

dislocated1 Well-Known Member

More importantly there were 5- 1/2 1600's in the top 25 o/a.... with no 10's or 12's to be found.... Kudos to them!
  4. tmathews

tmathews Well-Known Member

I noticed the same thing... Guess the 10s had a rough time of it..
  5. TreyP

TreyP "F" you Bill

An add on to that. If Bean wasn't so busy prepping everyone else's car and had spent more then the last two days before the race with his ownt. He would of smoked all the buggy classes. And been in the top ten. Underrated Driver and one of the best prep guys out there.

2010 Year Of The Bean....
  6. Lucho

Lucho Well-Known Member

Good driving by the 1600 but one race does not make the Class superlative. Before #1000 went down with electrical problems, it was ahead of the nearest Cl10 by 37 mintes, the nearest Cl12 by 50 minutes and running about 37th overall at RM200--still early in the race. Then it all went bad and was down for 2+hours at RM235, and then @RM476, they waited at the bottom of one of the hills for nearly 2.5 hours.
    Things happen in any race to skew the results. But when you take the average finish and speed over an entire season, it shows totally different results.
    Nonetheless, good run for Bean.
  7. Ramsey_ElWardani

Ramsey_ElWardani Ironman

There are not many 10s racing these days that can run with the top 12 guys and 1000 isn't one of them. Here is some head to head racing at this year's Laughlin race. You will see just how fast these 12 cars can be. Rick St John's car won the heat and Worley was Second, beating all the Class 10s that started before them. You might recognize the blur at Min 6:30 getting passed like it was standing still.

Ashcraft, Wiks and a few others are very fast and can beat the 12s.
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k02MDk5loU4"]YouTube- Laughlin 12 car[/ame]
  8. bonehead1

bonehead1 Active Member

Great job by Bean, give credit where credit is due thou "2009 year of the Duran"
  9. robertharman

robertharman Member

This topic comes up every now and then and there is no clear cut answers. When i started racing in cl 10 there was no separation and the rules were more restrictive. I think they should have left the class alone. We averaged 35 plus entries at every race.

I told my co driver as we were going thru matomi that we should have entered in class 10 because we would have been in the lead( we ended up 4th in 12) .

A rough sprint race you cant beat a 10 thats on his game. A long endurance race you cant beat a 12 car( older proven technology ). The more technical the course you cant beat a 1600, light, nimble, and simple.

I watched the winners of 12 and 16 pass us as we were changing a flat tire. Great 1600 battle. Hell, im rambling now, oh well.
  10. Ramsey_ElWardani

Ramsey_ElWardani Ironman

You may be rambling, but you are right on the money.
  11. Busakar

Busakar Member

you right....but
  12. robertharman

robertharman Member

Over the years i have raced 10 - 12 - and 16. So as a racer and a keyboard racer i feel obligated to give my 2cents.
    I think the class can sometimes dictate the drivers attitude in the car. Take 1600- if you are not on it 100 percent you are not going to win. So these guys push it from one flag to the other.
    Class 12 is the usually the next step from a 1600 car, so the drivers are willing to take more chances with their new found suspension advantage from their 1600. But here in lies the downfall of the progression. Once guys get accustomed to the more travel and horsepower they are more willing to back off the gas than to let it all hang out.
    Finally, most of the guys in class 10 really get spoiled by the ride and power and feel they let up more and make it up where their cars are faster. Unfortunately everyone is faster in the fast sections(thats why they are called fast sections). You wind up with a higher percentage of drivers not pushing as hard and the guys that do either smoke the field or lie by the wayside.
    The other disadvantage with 10/12 over 1600 is the cars. If you look at the cars in 1600 they are trying to get as close to the minimum weight as possible, then they make the suspension work. In 10/12, a lot of people build the car heavier and make the suspension work. OOps, there goes you're power to weight ratio advantage. Weight is the enemy.
    I am in the process of building a new 10 car and have put on some parts i wish i hadn't( my decisions are probably going to cost me 100 to 200 pounds more than i would like) but i still think my car is going to be lighter than most. Well see.
    Any ways, just my two cents.