Baja TELCEL Question

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by 2ndgen8, May 30, 2013.

1. 2ndgen8

2ndgen8 Member

So I have a Verizon iPhone 5 and everyone knows Verizon doesn't have great service in Baja so last year I got an AT&T Go Phone Sim Card with money loaded onto it and put it in my (unlocked) iPhone and it roamed on TELCEL.
    But not having data kind of sucks so this year I was thinking about getting a TELCEL sim card for it.

I was wondering if anyone has done this in the past? I heard you can get 100 minutes for $10 or something around that and 1 GB of data for an extra $20.

Any input/knowledge/previous experience helps, thanks!
  2. notime

notime La Granja Escuderia

if they are really unlocked, try Movistar works better in places like ojos and VT. i had both, but a few friends from Us says works better !
  3. Baja Fool

Baja Fool Well-Known Member

Get T-Mobile, works most place up and down Baja....I've tried them all. Another good bet is get a cheap Telcel phone in Baja load it up and go. My .02.
  4. rrcls1

rrcls1 New Member

Tmobile in Baja works great, In fact, I have found Tmobile to work almost everywhere in the world I have traveled. The negative is that its about $1.50/min here (and even more elsewhere) and they dont offer any plans for making calls while traveling in mexico. I have resorted to buying a telcel sim with data and putting it in my unlocked phone. I have been using Telcel because I was told they have the best overall coverage for the entire peninsula. They are kinda like Verizon in the States, The best overall coverage, especially in rural areas, but not the cheapest service available...

"I was wondering if anyone has done this in the past? I heard you can get 100 minutes for $10 or something around that and 1 GB of data for an extra $20."

This sounds like what i paid last time. This time, i paid $400 Pesos for 3 Gig. Voice wasnt discussed as I now have a 3g wifi device and my Tmobile phone can use that to make voice calls as if I was in the US for free.

"Get T-Mobile, works most place up and down Baja....I've tried them all. Another good bet is get a cheap Telcel phone in Baja load it up and go. My .02."

I agree with Baja Fool here, can get cheap telcel phone (or have your carrier unlock the old ATT or Tmobile phone you have in your desk drawer that has been sitting there since you upgraded) for each chase truck and reload the sim for about $10 each time you come down...

-J
  5. 2ndgen8

2ndgen8 Member

Where did you go to get a sim? I've heard go to Telcel stores because they actually know what they're talking about but I also heard the OXXO stores have better deals.
  6. MikeLeung

MikeLeung Well-Known Member

I have a Telcel 3G modem USB stick. Works great in Baja, I was able to use it from Borrego, to Valle T to Santa Tomas. I brought the stick for something like $60. It came with a Sim Card and when you activate it, it comes with 1 month of free unlimited data.

Since then I reload the card online, thru the Banda Acahca website. Theres a link with the Telcel 3G program, but you will need to read some Spanish to reload credits. Here is a link to the various data plans.

http://www.internet.telcel.com/paquetes.html#tab1
  7. MikeLeung

MikeLeung Well-Known Member

8. Brain171

Brain171 Member

I have a TelCel phone that I purchased from an OXXO market. The phone works great, it was a little difficult to get it activated because I had to go to the Tel Cel headquarters in Ensenada where they had to copy my passport and ask me suspicious questions. Totally worth it in the end to have a phone that works everywhere.

You have to make sure you use the phone at least once every 2 months otherwise they will lock your account and you will have to put money back on the phone in order to use the credits you previously had. Hope that makes since.
  9. Baja Bryan

Baja Bryan Member

take any phone and get it unlocked cellunlock.net will do it for 20 bucks. then buy a telcel prepaid called amigo. I recommend to always get the 500 peso card because it will give you 250 pesos free. 500 pesos is about 40 bucks. the 750 pesos will be good for 3 months. after that you still have it but need to buy another card to recover it. I think they sell 50 pesos refill cards. incoming calls are free even if you have no credit left of your card. GO TO TELCEL.COM and register then you can pick your data usage. this will be the best deal.

https://www.uwtservices.com/ is a service that will give you a usa number that will cal your MEX cell. you just forward your usa cell to the usa number they give you and will forward to mex cell. cost is .16 usd per minute monthly fee is 6 bucks. easy to set up.
  10. AZ45

AZ45 Active Member

I think this is the link - https://www.uwtcallback.com/

Good idea....um, no I'm not in Mexico I'm at the office!
  11. lljk1

lljk1 New Member

I live in Rosarito I work in SD.. using a US carrier phone in mexico sucks you will get charged like crazy... so i ended un buying a Movistar sim card to put in my unlocked gsm phone its great i pay 200 pesos (like 17 dlls) i get 500 minutes that i can use to call Mexico U.S. Canada, 250mb, 100 txt to any carrier in the u.s. mex Canada and last facebook email twitter and whatsapp for free!
    it doesn't get better than this.. i used telcel for a couple years and this is a waaaaaaay better deal..