1. Forum membership has its advantages....

BAP 1600 situation unfolding .............

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by deano, Feb 21, 2010.

1. deano

deano McDeano

blue, glenn-g and myself just left after the 1600 race and are on the road, and we're getting word from there, that just after the 1600 race, apparently rob mac (the weekend o/a-unofically) has brought it to the officials attention, that he suspects that the mcmillin 2-seater may have been running a gutted alternator today ?? ..... remember this is all from reports from the pits out there - i'm sure the're will be way more to this story -- the mcmillin 2-seater was going great all weekend and the young jedi luke turned in 2 impressive finishes -- and equally is was great to see the mc millin team out at a snore event --- and thanks mark mc for giving bean that coors light after his 6 1/2 cart wheels right in front of their pits this morning :eek: .... great weekend :cool:

2. BoothPacific Films

BoothPacific Films Well-Known Member

why would that help?

3. nimrod

nimrod KOOK!

You can run the engine with just the batteries and not have the drag of the alt. belt stealing HP from the engine............Some of the single buggy guys do this at short course events. They don't even run an alternator..........It's legal in Short Course.....i don't know about Snore..............The 1600 class is sooooo competitive that even 1/2 a hp helps............

I don't think cheating is something the McMillin family would do. I don't see them as people who would enjoy winning by cheating. They strike me as having a lot more character and class than that.

4. nimrod

nimrod KOOK!

D-no the new furnace from Rohan and Sons ROCKS!

Say "Hi" to Blue for me.

5. Volkspower Racing

Volkspower Racing Active Member

It is not legal in short coarse, must have a working vw alternator to be legal. I remember 1 year at Laughlin that Mac cut his alt belt in staging for the Laughlin leap, and won!

6. Scrapiron

Scrapiron Active Member

So what!!

7. JGunn

JGunn Lone Gunnman

Must have broke off the start?;)

8. Scrapiron

Scrapiron Active Member

Just got out my "SCORE" not "SNORE" rule book the engine section oes not say a word about the Alternator. CR16 in the score rule book says "Any type alternator or generator system in the stock location may be used" SCR16 in the rule on Snore's website says "Any type alternator or generator in the stock location may be used"

Get over it they did there home work, and now everyone knows a little secret for next time.

9. Chase 2

Chase 2 Well-Known Member

Rob Mac is not the kind of guy to just protest with out cause or reason.

10. Scrapiron

Scrapiron Active Member

You sure about that? Does not say that it must be working.

From Loors site:

LB-21 IGNITION SYSTEMS
    A. A distributor must be used to activate spark to the spark plugs.
    B. One distributor only.
    C. Stock or direct replacement coil only.
    Allowed:
    A. Battery 6 or 12 volt.
    B. Any manufacturer distributor.
    C. Any Volkswagen alternator or generator in the stock location.
    D. Magnetic pick-ups that directly replaces the points.
    Not Allowed:
    A. Magneto, multiple coil and direct fire ignition system.

11. Scrapiron

Scrapiron Active Member

Must be more to this story. Like Nimrod said McMillin's do not cheat.

12. DanMcMillin

DanMcMillin Crane Motorsports

Well First off, We gut our altenators at all the short course races we do, Laughlin, BAP, etc. We do more for the weight purpose than for that 1/4 HP gain. Snores rules have big grey area with the situation. But is what it is and it won't happen again at snore. I'd be mad to if a 17 year old Out drove me too. Luke did an awesome job and earned that 3rd place.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2010
    (+3) 3 people like this.
  13. Chase 2

Chase 2 Well-Known Member

Could be that Rob protested to get rid of the grey areas. Not say'n any one cheated, but sometimes a protest establishes a hard line and then the playing field can be even.

14. Volkspower Racing

Volkspower Racing Active Member

I'm on my blackberry so can't cut and paste, but its under general buggy rules;
    GBR-12 section D
    All vehicles must have a working alternator/generator system

Trust me, been there tried that!

15. BoothPacific Films

BoothPacific Films Well-Known Member

gotta love the attitude from the young guns.

16. Scrapiron

Scrapiron Active Member

From Loors

GBR-13 ENGINE & RACE VEHICLE ELECTRICAL SYSTEMS
    A. All ignition systems must be approved by LOORRS.
    B. No computerized systems are permitted unless LOORRS approved.
    C. Any make or brand of spark plug may be used.
    D. All vehicles must have a working alternator/generator system.
    E. All vehicles must have a self-starter in working condition and must be capable of starting on their own power.
    F. All electrical switches must be located on the dash panel.
    G. All vehicles must have a master on/off switch wired to the battery in a manner that will cut off all electrical power and the engine.
    H. Master switch must be labeled as such, have a red circle around it, be located on the left side of the dash panel, and must be accessible from the outside of the race vehicle. Red circle must be at least 1 inch wide.

17. Tipracer

Tipracer Well-Known Member

You have got to be kidding me, burned out alt = same as no alt, finish with a bad alt and nobody says anything but atta boy, deano... I'm sure your info about rob raising a question is correct but come on what's the point of raising such an ambigous question on a public forum? I am no expert on rules maybe a pm is in order...
    Props to Luke, he is gonna fill huge shoes.....

18. Tipracer

Tipracer Well-Known Member

Btw how would someone know that the alt is gutted? unless they have done it themselves perhaps...

D. All vehicles must have a working alternator/generator system..... Worked when I started coach...?!!!

19. DanMcMillin

DanMcMillin Crane Motorsports

It's just really disappointing since Luke did such an awesome job. We will get em' next time.

20. james_95

james_95 New Member

OK, lets be honest for a second. If the rule book say you have to run a "stock" alternator that means stock...the way it comes from the factory not a gutted one. A gutted one is modified no matter how you look at it. It's not "grey" at all. An alternator with no guts is not an alternator at all. I have a "stock" truck the McMillan's might want to buy...sure it's missing the seats, wheels, motor and trans but what!..it's "stock"....right?