1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Benders, you wanna make one?

Discussion in 'Shop - Fabrication' started by rharriman, Jan 19, 2009.

1. rharriman

rharriman Active Member

Came accross these bender prints ;),

Thought I would share them. :D

None have copyright info except the JD2 one and I checked their site and you can downoad their manual for free there anyway so I didn't see a problem with posting it here. If there is I am sure a mod can invoke his rath here.

Attached Files:

2. rharriman

rharriman Active Member

If anyone is interested in chopper (motorcycle) frames and jigs for welding chopper frames respond here, I have some very detailed prints for those as well. :D

Share the wealth ;)

3. Harrenstein

Harrenstein Member

ChopperHandbook.com great site! for motorcycles. haha

Oh and I made my JD2 style bender using these plans and purchased the die from them. worked out great!

Attached Files:

4. rharriman

rharriman Active Member

Yea, it is a very good site for motorcycles and is also a very good starting point for basic fab skills, and tools. The benders and notchers are universal fab tools, I shoulda posted a link to thier site but tried to keep it simple here. Thanks for the post tho. ;)

5. atomicjoe23

atomicjoe23 Well-Known Member

I wish it was the plans for the JD2 Model 3 bender that you had posted. . .I have the blueprints for the lower buck version of the Pro-Tools bender. . .but I prefer the JD2 style benders. . .I have used a Hossfeld at the shop at school before and it did not produce bends anywhere near as nice as the JD2 that we used on the next project. . .

6. rharriman

rharriman Active Member

I am not sure of the model because I don't know the difference between them but you did notice at the end of the manual the prints for the JD2 bender were included right. I found them on another site as mentioned above and assumed since the manual I found it was the same model. Sorry if I misled you with the PDF I put together.

7. atomicjoe23

Rharriman. . .no I didn't notice the plans for the bender at the end. . .I started to scroll through it and about 1/2 way through I decided that it was only the manual. . .so I quit looking. . .I'm redownloading and saving them now!!! Thanks!!!

8. rharriman

rharriman Active Member

NP, I thought the prints were for a different or older model, glad they help. :D

9. Harrenstein

Harrenstein Member

Here are some pictures of my bender. Mostly cut with a bandsaw. A little rough but it gets the job done and I think its easier to use then the Hossfeld we have at school.

Attached Files:

10. atomicjoe23

Harrenstein. . .we have a Hossfeld at school too and it SUCKS!!! One of our team members has a Model 3 though and he brought it in. . .we mounted it to the Acor table and we cut & bent our entire chassis in less than 2 hrs!!!

. . .previously we had tried to use the Hossfeld to bend some cheap galvanized tube that was donated by a local fencing company to make some football sleds for the PeeWee Football league and it squished the tubing big-time. . .it was no longer round tubing. . .it was oval tubing. . .we had to put the ends on the horn of an anvil and do some manual hammer forming to get them back into round so that we could butt weld the hoops to the straight legs of the frame. . .I'm no longer involved in the football sled project because of the Baja build. . .I just drew the blueprints up for them. . .not that the blueprints are being strictly followed but as long as they end up looking clean and the donor is happy with them so that they will donate more material to finish the other 4 sleds I don't really care. . .I'm just a little bit of a stickler when it comes to following the plans when there are no problems with the plans. . .saying that though and the fact that our Baja build is rather fluid is kind of a contradiction!!!

11. rharriman

rharriman Active Member

I think this kind of school project is great. I went to school to teach high school physics and chemistry but never taught even though I have a degree to do so. When I was student teaching I started thinking about making up a curriculum involving metal shop, sports programs, technology department and the science departments involving designing and making such things as sleds for football, lab equipment and such involving all the departments. It could save tons of money, teach applicable trades and get students involved in all aspects of it. Ahhhh....

Not enough time in the day, LOL.

12. atomicjoe23

That's a great idea. . .up here there is a technical school for high-schoolers that teaches lathe & mill processes, welding, fabrication, etc. . .but that is the only one that does machine shop stuff. . .and we are right here at the Boeing plant and the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and there is no fabrication school program at all!!!

13. rharriman

rharriman Active Member

Yea, some shools with techical programs could really benefit by doing this. I had plans to make an air track (frictionless rail) using square tubing and a shop vac, you could incoporate some simple photo eyes and a timing circuit using legos and an RCX unit and do accleration, velocity, force, countless experiments with a simple set up. Would be way cool. For a weight lifting room I wouldn't advise making the equipment itself for liablity reasons but for the racks and what not it would be pretty cost effective as well as a good learning experience. I might look for a local high shcool with the right set up and see what I can get done, in my SPARE time. :rolleyes:

14. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey New Member

Which one of these benders would anyone recommend? I'm not planning on building a frame with them. I would use them to build tube doors, fenders and stingers for my Jeep.

I considered picking up an Affordable Bender from T & J Diesel Performance (www.tjdieselperformance.com) but the list of dies they sell is pretty limited.

I found a .pdf file a week ago with instructions on how to build a bender and die. The bender looks like a cross between a Hossfeld and a JD2. The dies are made using hardwood, tube and flat stock. Instead of a thick steel die this die is hardwood with steel welded around it. I'm not sure how well it would do but it's a lot cheaper than buying dies.

Anyway, I uploaded the .pdf here. I'm not too crazy about the bender itself. Let me know what you think about the die instructions.

Attached Files:

15. Brandon_Charley

Brandon_Charley Formerly "Cracka Racing"

16. Jester

Jester Member

Were the blueprints saying that the thickness for all of the pieces except for the control arms are 1/2"? :confused: Just wanted to confirm before i bought material, Thanks!

17. Scott_F

Scott_F Active Member

If you guys are using Pro-Tools dies, I have a set of the arms that the die pivots in that I could sell.