1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Best bronco prerunner

Discussion in 'Shop - Miscellaneous' started by CanyonMan, Feb 3, 2004.

1. CanyonMan

CanyonMan Member

I am wondering what are the best years for building a 4x4 Bronco prerunner. I am looking at something new enough to have fuel injection. If anybody has any info/pics of newer prerun Broncos, that would be fly also.

What is the first thing that should be done? Never built a Ford before (other than a v8 ranger conversion...woohooo!!) to do offroad so am looking for best ideas. Getting tired of running into walls building my 97 GMC 4x4 into a RELIABLE prerunner without huge expense.

2. In_the_works

In_the_works Member

'95 would probably be your best bet. In '96 I think ford changed some of the electronics, so it's harder to find universal parts like for the 92-95s. If this is your first off road vehicle, start with a bent beam kit from Camburg or Autofab and some 2.5" shocks. Run some custom deaver springs in the rear, and maybe have a shock hoop fabbed to run 12-14" shocks. A roll cage shouldn't be overlooked either, but expect to spend at least 3k for a decent complete setup.

3. Travisfab

Travisfab Active Member

From the mid 80's until 96 the Broncos were very similar body/engine wise. 5.0 or 5.8 I would reccomend a 92-96 because of the interior (if you plan on keeping it) and the grille/headlights look a lot better. First mod if I were to do it over again would be to get the TTB's cut and turned, 3.0 or 2.5 coilovers, heimed radius arms. The rear is not all that easy to do because you have to cut out the floor to get big travel and set up a hoop.

4. sirhk100

sirhk100 Well-Known Member

5. CanyonMan

CanyonMan Member

Thanks for the replies everyone.

sirhk100 I guess I didn't do a good search cause I never found those threads. Thanks for the link! Sounds like a 92-96 it will be. Fortunately they are for sale everywhere here and relatively cheap as they are not seen as prerunners, just Fords! Ha!

6. SpareChangeRacng

SpareChangeRacng Member

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to post that thread. I went to do it this morning but stopped before I could find it because I actually had to get some work done. Man I hate having to get stuff other than RDC done when i'm at work - haha

7. CanyonMan

CanyonMan Member

Since I'm new to the whole TTB thing, can you please explain what cutting and turning the TTBs is and does? Also, what kind of parts should be replaced first durability wise? I hear the spring buckets are weak at the frame, is that true? Are there problems with the D44 TTB front end I should look for?
    Thanks again.

8. billymanfroy

billymanfroy Active Member

Pete,

Cutting and turning the TTB's allows you to raise the truck for more travel and larger tires and still have the correct camber/caster at ride height and throughout the rest of the travel. Longer radius arms allow for more travel by letting the TTB sag out farther before binding. Most do-it-yourselfers torch or grind out the rivets on the spring buckets and reinforce them some and put them back on with grade 8 bolts.

Do youself a favor and check these guys out. John at Autofab is one of the originals at TTB, and will take the time to talk to you and answer all your questions from direct experience. One of my close friends and main crew guys has his TTB kit for Rangers and it works unbelievably well.

Autofab's 16" Full Size TTB Kit

[​IMG]

I am a huge fan of Camburg's stuff as well, but I don't know if they have a bolt on-style kit for 4WD full size Fords. Their site mentions "'86 - '96 F150 2wd & 4wd" but I only see the 2wd stuff in the pics.

Camburg's F150 Page

There are other shops as well (H&M, McNeil, etc.), but I've never dealt with any of them. Do some shopping, but please don't get pissy when you hear how much this costs! This isn't a $500 mod. (I'm guessing $6k-$7k total) If you can part with the dough, you WILL NOT be disappointed. It'll work great and last a long time.

Good luck!!!

Billy

9. PBR

PBR Well-Known Member

camburg's parts are great, so are autofab's, spirit racing also makes a very nice high end "bolt-on" kit for coilovers. www.spiritracing.com

but like billy said you get what you pay for so be prepared to spend some $$$$$$$$$, the good stuff doesn't come cheap.

10. Ramsey_ElWardani

Ramsey_ElWardani Ironman

Buy a California equipted 1995 for best engine management. The Spirit Racing Kit is really good. We have three of these Broncos in our extened Viejas Team.

11. Benny Boy

Benny Boy New Member

Best bronco prerunner MY 95 or 96 with 5,8L

I saw this discussion has been one of topic before. I would like to get a bronco to build a prerunner out of. I m looking at model years 95 and 96 with the 351W. I would like to try and keep the stock injection system in the beginning, thanks to smog test headaches. Now I was wondering does anybody know the pros or cons of these 2 model years with the 5.8 L motor.

I know the 96 with the 5,8L has OBDII engine diagnostics, which, with the original ford flash box, will allow reprogramming of the motor. It will also allow for easier problem Identification. Plus I know california models from 95 and 96 have a MAF sensor, (Mass air flow sensor), not an Air density sensor, so this is also a desirable key. The 96 looks the best to me. to purchase. But I have seen earlier in this forum that the 95 is recommended, WHY?

Second, the next issue is ABS. 1995 most likely had only rear wheel, some 96s have four wheel, which I have seen are harder to find front spindels for because of extra knotches to clearance the additional senors. Anyone with experience here?

Also, can anyone recommend to me how to correct abs calibration for say 35 bfgs, I have seen some chipbox from superlift on the net, to correct tirespeed, but only for rear abs, not 4 wheel :( , has anyone ever used this in a prerunner application. Or would it be best to gut the whole stock brake system and put an aftermarket system in. This seems like it would only bring huge issues for the motor computer input, maybe I m wrong.

Anybody with experience with these two model years, who could lend a hand with clarification of what is the best model year to purchase with the 5.8 would be great.

Thanks,

BB

12. ntsqd

ntsqd Active Member

I'm thinking "I know a guy with that kit too" then I see who the poster is and know it's the same guy! It does work well, even when Bubbles drives.

From what I've seen you don't want ABS for the dirt. Dirt confuses it. So perhaps the best bet is to buy the later model and retrofit the earlier brakes. Better yet, do a brake uppgrade as I've been told that the brakes on the Big Broncos aren't all that spectactular anyway.

13. steveG

steveG Well-Known Member

Try to find the latest model Bronco you can. I think 95 doesn't have air injection which will eventually (usually) causes a lot of problems. As far as ABS goes, you may be able to pull the fuse when you're in the dirt, but I'm not sure. I've had a couple Autofab front ends. I'm acually looking into buying a third kit from him. They work incredibly and still retain great road manners. John's got a lot of cool options for Bronco/F150 TTB front ends including a really trick crossover steering option, extended beams and will have a coil-over option in the near future. The best part is his kits are essentially bolt-on for 16" of front and rear travel.

14. Josh_K

Josh_K Member

Last summer I bought a 91 for cheap and this is what I did and what it cost.

1. Beavers in the back, 12”x 2.5 Kings prerunner series shocks through the floor but still under the stock rear seat (4 seater). Cut the stock leaf spring mounts off and turned the axel pinion up, and changed out most of the rivets in the frame with bolts.

2. Cut the coil buckets off the front, build a engine cage, added 2.5" King coilovers, cut the lower ball out of the ttb and move it outward about .5”. I retained the original inner mount of the ttb and installed spherical balls instead of stock rubber and strengthened the stock mount. Built radius arms that pivot on big heims. Installed manual front hub lockers.

3. Installed a stock new rebuilt Ford create engine. Pulled the e4od and installed a new c-6, build a tube cross member for the rear of the trans that ties into the rear radius arm mount. Rebuilt transfer case, two new drivelines, new full exhaust and all the engine accessories.

My parts list alone is 13k right now and I have done all the labor my self. I still need to cage it, and regear and get a good rear axel because these parts are still stock.

If I was to do just the suspension mod for hire expect to pay about $3500 for parts and about $5k in labor.

If I had it over to do, I would advise any one to buy the best Bronco you can find and this would eliminate having to go thru the engine and trans. I got mine for $1500.00 but I would still be money ahead if I paid $5k for it.

Please don’t take this as a bragging fest; I am only trying to list the costs of building an average and mild, prerunner.

Josh

15. matt_helton

matt_helton Racer

16. PBR

PBR Well-Known Member

hey steve - what is the deal with the new steering for the autofab front ends???

17. steveG

steveG Well-Known Member

Ollie, I haven't seen it, but John was telling me about it a few weeks ago. For the driver beam tie rod it uses kind of an idler and pitman arm (instead of the typical swingset) that attaches to the passenger frame rail & a custom pitman arm off the gearbox for the passenger beam. He said it uses heims for all the tie rod pivots & the steering knuckles have to be modified. That's all I remember right now. It sounded like a really cool kit & If I end up keeping my Bronco It'll be on my list of things to buy. I told him to get it on his website so people could see it, but we'll see....

Benny Boy I started another thread to give you another option-I didn't want to hijack this one.

18. MX808

MX808 New Member

Alright now that we now what year is the best how about we see some pics of the best bronco prerunners. If you have a bronco prerunner than take a pic and post it .

19. gwm

gwm Member

This sounds a lot like what Jeremy Spirkoff did to the Spirit truck a couple of years ago. It's obviously not 4wd, but it has "crossover" steering with unequal length I-beams. If I can get out there I'll get some pics.

George