1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Best Chase Truck

Discussion in 'Shop - Fabrication' started by Chevrolegs, Mar 28, 2007.

1. Chevrolegs

Chevrolegs New Member

Ok, so there was a thread on the best TT a few weeks back. Now lets do one for the best looking/ functional Chase Trucks. Lets see your pics of what you have already or dream of having. Spy pics of other peoples work too!!!!

2. SimonSays

SimonSays New Member

not beautiful but gets the job done. Custom bed with aluminum lids

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. johnnyweb

johnnyweb Well-Known Member

2008 f450 superduty crewcab 4x4 with fat utility body, tire racks,gps,race radio's etc would do me just fine. in my opinion the ranger in the pic would be worthless as a chase truck. better served as a pre runner.

4. SimonSays

SimonSays New Member

if its going in for chasing it would make it there hours before you, how is that worthless?
    It gets towed behind a 2006 superduty, that has all the parts in it, if you need anything you throw it in unload and go. Way faster on the course!

5. AirborneF150

AirborneF150 Member

Thats only if you can get that new 6.4 liter to run without limping on you. Once they get those things running right though, without throwing codes, they are gonna be unbeatable.

6. Race8100

Race8100 Active Member

That's exactly what is great about BITD. You never have to worry about coming around a corner and come face to face with a chase truck or non-race truck on the course.

7. SimonSays

SimonSays New Member

why would you ever come face to face with a chase truck?
    I could understand coming up one one but if they are face to face, someone is going the wrong way, and there team should be dqed.

And if your worried about coming up on one fast, that ranger is way better, first of you can nerf it and not destroy it, second its way faster then some superduty.

And if my race truck was broken down up near simpsons, that ranger would be able to get there about 2-3 hours before that superduty. For me a fully functional chase truck is the same as your prerunner. Just with some extra parts in it to fix the race truck.

8. 151fab

151fab Member

9. SimonSays

SimonSays New Member

EXACTLY, like in the 1000 last year, we broke a rear axle, so instead of taking the time to pull the axle apart and fix it. We pulled the entire axle assembly out of the prerunner and went and finished the race, still got first place too. The prerunner just stayed till all the rest of the vihicles went by. then drove out in front wheel drive, got on the trailer and caught back up. Sounds a lot faster too me. If we would have waited for some big old slow superduty, we would not have won the race or the points championship. So how is the superduty a better chase truck?

The rangers stay on the trailers until they are needed. If you need something you pull the truck off the trailer put in what ever special parts you need(common and small stuff are already in there). then take off on the course, once the race truck is fixed you get back off the course and back onto the trailer, that is already waiting for you at the next road crossing/ access road.
    [​IMG]

10. Sheaco

Sheaco Well-Known Member

I'm sorry to disagree, but a chase truck should not share common parts. A pre-runner should share common parts. My reasoning A pre-runner for the most part was brought down on a trailer by a chase truck and can be taken home on a trailer by a chase truck. If you robb from a chase truck then you basicly ended that chase trucks day and maybe any oppritunity for the truck to catch back up to the race vehicle.

*side note* This could be a cool thread but there needs to be some criteria/ground rules. i.e. What is the differences between a Chase Truck,Pre-runner/parts runner?
    And That Ranger is an exercise in how to waste space. The bed is totally F.U.B.R . I did not see any tool boxes,air bottles,jacks,shovles,Winch,recovery tools, work lights, fire surrpression system,generators,Keg,cooler to keeps water for a driver while their car is being worked on and no tie down locations that would hold anything of size not to mention spare tires, trannies, rearends. My 2 cents

11. Sheaco

Sheaco Well-Known Member

My bad, after further review I do see so ill placed work lights, that at night would cast some wicked shadows because the back of the bed sides are in the way.

12. 151fab

151fab Member

Wouldn't you rather lose the chase truck than the race? I'm not saying that in every situation the chase truck should be sacrificed but who's to say what you'll need out on the course. At least with common parts you have the option, the more options you have the better; right?

Also if you take your brand new F450 to Baja you'll be fatigued from keeping one eye open all night for thieves :D . I think there’s more Superduties taken than there are cars that finish the race down there. LOL.

13. 151fab

151fab Member

14. SimonSays

SimonSays New Member

Go ahead and take a better look, there is all of that on the truck. in the center box is a pull out real that has power and air. there are lots of tiedowns on the truck in lots of places. The entire bed is tool boxes, the diamond plate is lids too large boxes filled with parts and tools. and in the back seat is a air conditioned icechest with food and water a removable winch that goes into the receiver hitch on front and back of the vehicle, and all of the extra tie down straps and recovery straps. the spare tire rack swivels down to lay as a ramp down to the ground and you can load things into the bed, works as a tailgate, and locks into 3 different location, staight up, down at the 45 you see, and flat so that you have a bigger bed. there is a mount in the bed for the rear axle and the trans that stay in the tow truck until needed.

We also run many of these tow truck/chase trucks combinations down the course so if you do have to sacrifice your self its no big deal there is 3 more of them. All of them are proven prerunner/chase trucks. If you need to sacrifice yourself, you make your way back to the highway were there is a tow truck waiting for you to load up and catch back up to the race truck to lend any additional help. You may not be able to go on the course now but you still have all the parts and tools needed to lend a hand to one of the other tow/chase trucks that may need a part that is on your rig.

But you know what we will continue to run your chasing this way you can do it how ever you want. This way works and we are winning championships this way so why change?

15. SimonSays

SimonSays New Member

ill placed work lights? how do you figure? it lets you see exactly what you need to, see into the tool boxes in the bed. they were not designed to be work lights they are backup lights and the work great for finding parts in the tool boxes. if you want a work light you pull the work light out of the boxes in the bed. And then run it of the inverter in the truck. Plus everyone on our team has a headlamp that they always have so we can always see even with out the big light stand that the truck has anyway.

16. WisdomRacer

WisdomRacer New Member

Simon says I think that is a great chase truck. Why can your prerunner also not be your chase truck. Sure a superduty is cool to carry all the parts down to the race but this would be good for getting the parts from the pit to the broken car. I have had to chase in a superduty and when it comes to you having to drive on the course to get to your car its not fun.

17. usmcgunrock

usmcgunrock Active Member

A big truck works great for setting up a main/planned pit. A smaller truck/prerunner is great for chasing point to point if something goes wrong. Easier to get in and out. So I would say that you can't really compare both. So I guess that the ultimate chase truck would be a smaller truck, 4x4, plenty of power, and able to hold a lot of cargo.

18. Young&Fast

Young&Fast Well-Known Member

Everyone needs to stop player hating on simonsays. His truck works for him end of story. Its hella better than my chase truck. Well mine is a go-cart that wouldn't do much good but it makes me feel good about my self to have something called a chase truck.

19. SimonSays

SimonSays New Member

I don't care if they don't like it, it works for us and we are winning championships so it can't be that bad of a chase truck. It is 4wheel drive, has a decent amount of wheel travel plenty of pulling power, and places for parts. Cant get much better then that.

20. Bulldozer

Bulldozer Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Pinzgauer anyone?