Best Class 12 Car

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by YOLO Racing, Dec 20, 2010.

1. YOLO Racing

YOLO Racing Member

We posted a wanted ad here for a Two Seater, 12 car and had lots of great feedback (thanks to all who responded)..then the thread got shutdown...we were told to go to the classifieds. (didnt see a wanted section there) took note of the 12's that are posted... We are compiling a short list of cars to look at. We will be hitting Arizona/California in January to try and get something done.

Brand new is not an option, we are shopping for a used competitive package to race SCORE. We are trying to figure out whos racing what, engine/trans/builder/year.

If we lived closer we would be able to figure a lot of this out but we dont.....so any input to help us get educated helps.

These are the 12's that entered the B1K ( in finishing order) with builder??? correct me if needed

1 1201 Justin Davis seagrove single
    2 1206 Lee Banning foddrill
    3 1213 Hector Garcia jimco
    4 1204 Samuel Araiza curry
    5 1207 John Padgett kreger
    6 1211 Antonio Castro L. chenowth
    7 1216 Hector Ibarra
    8 1209 James Marquez jimco
    9 1215 Jose de Jesus F
    10 1214 Eric Palacios chenowth
    11 Jake Jones hank racing
    12 Brent Parkhouse moulton
    13 1203 Zak Langley penhall
    14 1208 Dave Wert penhall
    15 1202 Perry McNeil Lothringer

Our 5/1600 is not happy to be home
    [​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  2. tmathews

tmathews Well-Known Member

Rumor has it that Ken Stroud has one or two for sale... Are you looking for a single or two seater?
  3. YOLO Racing

YOLO Racing Member

Sorry I re edited the original, Two seater for sure.
    If this turns into a wanted ad the powers will kill it. Just looking for info on whats working these days. More so toward builders..
    Has the engineering changed a lot over the years........... what about the 12 cars that the front shocks look like rocket launchers, hows that engineering doing...should we stay away from older....need newer....if so, newer would be????? What car do you need to be competive in this class........driving skills aside.
  4. fullthrottle

fullthrottle Member

The 1st one on the list!
  5. bonehead1

bonehead1 Member

6. D-rek

D-rek Active Member

I have driven cars with both top and bottom mount shocks and I like the top mount as they give a smoother ride but the front end does not pop up as much. From a geometry perspective a top mount arm is correct in that at full compression the shock is at 90 deg to the arm allowing for the most control. A bottom mount goes through a series of dramatic angle changes during the suspension cycle.
  7. YOLO Racing

YOLO Racing Member

I think thats a single, looking for info on a two....
  8. M.Harvey1600

M.Harvey1600 Well-Known Member

there was a 2-seat Seagrove for sale for a while. I saw it not to long ago.

Seagroves/Fast Iron Fabrication are awesome machines. my choice would be either a:

Porter/ES Motorsports---http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/trader/atl.cgi?ct=5&md=second&id=8579

SEAGROVE/Fast Iron---http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/trader/atl.cgi?ct=5&md=second&id=8573

or a Jimco---http://www.race-dezert.com/cgi-bin/trader/atl.cgi?ct=5&md=second&id=8569
  9. doug969

doug969 Well-Known Member

There is a 2 seat Seagrove for sale (PM ACME for details) that is top notch and IMO the cleanest car out there. The Jimco's are very good also and those would be my pick.
  10. DBMETALWORX

DBMETALWORX Well-Known Member

I'm willing to bet that Banning would sale one....
  11. YOLO Racing

YOLO Racing Member

Thank you, the visual had us puzzled and were not able to see what is going on with that setup.
    Like stated, we dont know enough and information where we live is limited. It seams that not one car in this years B1K had a top mounted set up....does this have do do with the success of it or just the entries this year didnt run that way. There must be a debate out there, top mount VS bottom mount...anyone?
  12. YOLO Racing

YOLO Racing Member

Does Banning do there own Chassis, we are waiting on info from Lee JR....there website says Banning/Foddrill..are they the same thing?
  13. D-rek

D-rek Active Member

I believe several 5 cars had them at the 1000 this year. I know Belk's car who had issues at the 1000 but has done very well in the past has top mounts.
    Pros
    correct geometry
    consistent valving

Cons
    more susceptible to damage from roll overs and from front end impacts
    takes some getting used to visually
  14. YOLO Racing

YOLO Racing Member

Thanks, your right on the 5 cars and perhaps others...and the pros and cons of the top mounts make sense.

Last question...Has the geometry more than less stayed the same in the last 6 years or is a newer chassis a must have?
  15. M.Harvey1600

M.Harvey1600 Well-Known Member

I believe the chassis geometry has remained the same for the last 15-20 years with regards to BEAM style suspension. the advancements have come with SHOCK technology. so an old chassis that has been proven can be competitive with updates.

VW style trailing arm suspension has been around since the conception of off road racing in the 60's. better stronger larger components have come out but geometry has changed very little in comparison to the advancements in other areas of the race cars. .IE.: Trans, shocks, steering etc...
  16. jsallenbach

jsallenbach Member

Agreed with the above said statement, new shock technology makes a hugh difference. 30 years ago when you had 5 shocks per corner in the rear and two gas bilsteins per side in the front made for a pretty rough ride. Our old Raceco is almost 30 years old, was updated in 95 with mike smith shocks and a more modern style front suspension and handles a ton better then it did. Chassis's are basically the same as they where 30 years ago thats what makes class 12 so nice because you can have an older car and still be competitive.

Banning makes a nice car i think, i rode in it a pdc during testing with the new ford engine. Some of the stuff we went over i thought for sure was gonna hurt but was supper smooth. Lee Jr is a super cool dude and the whole banning team as a matter of fact.
  17. DeanB

DeanB Member

I have a mid-90s Jimco that had top mounted shocks. The front end pushed. After the car got wadded-up, the front end was converted to bottom mount shocks. I feel the front end works alot better now. It's a little rough compared to 10 car, but no big deal since I came from racing a 9 car.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  18. Ryan_P

Ryan_P Well-Known Member

I have driven their car, and it works very well. Sr. and Jr. are good people. They own the original Foddrill design and have their shop guys build the current chassis. I know there is a 2-seater sitting in the shop, as they offered it to me for finishing 2nd to them this year in BITD.

I own a Kreger and would hesitate to buy anything else. Your going to get this response from most people who drive in this class. Take a look at the car as a whole package, they ARE NOT created equal.
  19. Rory

Rory Crayola Killer

Is that Steve Walcots old Jimco? He raced it in SCORE back in the mid 90's and it even had knock offs on the front wheels (believe it or not). Looks a lot like it. I have a Suspensions Unlimited car I recently purchased, ugly as hell but I raced it at the RATR for the first time and LOVED it. It has the uppper shock mounts and I like the way it performs. The TT Killer had bottom mounts but I couldnt tell you which is better because they are 2 different animals. There are good deals to be had out there, as long as you can find a sound platform to build from you can always add to it later (shocks, hubs, trans, motor). We got a smokin deal on our car, although it's not the fastest it can hold it's own (4th @ RATR). Remember, "Pinky" is 19 years old and dominated in class 12 a couple years ago........just needed some updates.

[​IMG]

Photo credit Art Eugeino www.AEugenioPhoto.com
  20. ACME

ACME Well-Known Member

Yup, our's is still for sale. Almost done with a FULL PREP; brand new ft arms, fresh trans/motor etc... very clean all tig welded etc...

Attached Files: