1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Brake Lines????

Discussion in 'Shop - Fabrication' started by EASTCOAST DUKE, May 29, 2008.

1. EASTCOAST DUKE

EASTCOAST DUKE Member

How hard is it to run new lines,I have a '99.5 CHEVY SILVERADO with rusty lines!
    A local mechanic FIXED them with compresion fittings! Iwas wondering how hard
    it would be to (1) custom bend new lines (2) buy prebent factory stuff?????
    What do you guys think???

2. goofballracer

goofballracer PAT DAILEY #1 FAN

are you changin them for looks? if they work then i would just leave them brake lines arnt the funnest thing

3. jeff

jeff Super Moderator

The OP said he has "rusty lines" that were fixed with compression fittings. I think replacing the lines is out of necessity, not for looks. I would recommend replacing them with another set of pre-bent and sized lines. Installation shouldn't take too long. If you got almost 8 years from the last set another set of OEM quality lines should last the same or longer.

Aloha

4. loufish

loufish Member

The compression fittings I've used do not belong on any hydraulic braking system!
    If that is indeed what was used, get the repair corrected ASAP...

5. goofballracer

goofballracer PAT DAILEY #1 FAN

std brakelines are a bubble flair and its a type of compression fitting

6. Scott_F

Scott_F Active Member

I don't know what a bubble flair is, but standard brake lines have a double flair on the end. It is nothing like a compression fitting.

7. 1wayne

1wayne Active Member

Buy factory made lines it will save alot of time and they are not expensive!

8. TUBETECK

TUBETECK Member

The only comression fittings that can used on a hydraulic braking system are SWAGELOK fittings. The fittings are rated for 6,000 p.s.i and if bought in stainless will handle the corossive DOT3 brake fluid. I use swagelok at all four corners of my 5-16 and the motorhome that tows it. No problems yet.

9. EASTCOAST DUKE

EASTCOAST DUKE Member

The pedal seems fine now,if i had a garage and no family i'd replae them.But i don't trust them!!!!!

10. lowdownndirty

lowdownndirty Member

bubble flair = metric

double flair = STD.

11. loufish

loufish Member

Since the OP didn't really define exactly the fittings, who knows what was really done...
    In the past the "compression fittings" I've used had a brass ferule that slid over the tubing after a tube nut was slid down first. We used these type of fitting all the time in low pressure applications...Not for brake lines though...

12. paranoid56

paranoid56 New Member

only lasted 8 years eh? sounds like an American car :D :D
    instead of replacing them with more cheap line check out some stainless line. at least your wont have to worry about replacing it any time soon.
    Shane

13. TUBETECK

TUBETECK Member

True the brass fitting your refering to are not intended for high pressure applications. The tubeing will pull out of the fitting when hit with a high pressure spike. The swagelok fittings are desinged for high pressure applications and the two ferrules that go over the tube actualy interlock with each other and crimp down on the tube(not enough to restict flow). If you look up swagelok on line you'll see that NASA used their fittings on the O2 systems on the back packs the astonauts use for space walks. Thats not the reason I use them though. I use these fittings at work all the time and have seen what kind of abuse they can handle. Thats what sold me on useing them on my race car and motor home.

14. Chadzu

Chadzu Member

We only use swagelok fittings at work. They work great for everything from low pressure instument air all the way to 1500 psi superheat steam. I have a feeling that my car will be using them as well;)

15. drewd

drewd New Member

Does the factory make replacement lines? I had a 2005 silverado that my shock reservoir line chewed through. I went to the dealer and they said that they did not carry lines and they would have to make a custom one. I ended up just making it myself for $40.00 instead of the crazy amount they quoted me. Good luck.

16. TUBETECK

TUBETECK Member

Not only does the factory make replacement line but there are dozens of after market vendors that make drop in replacements for alot cheaper espcially if your just replacing the stock design.