broken belt in tire?

Discussion in 'Shop - Driveline' started by Bulldozer, Jul 9, 2007.

1. Bulldozer

Bulldozer Well-Known Member

Soooo today I noticed a big balloonish bubble one of my tires, the only thing I can imagine is that the belt is broken or worn in this spot on the tire. I took a couple pics but the pictures dont really show what it looks like.

So my question is, is it safe to drive on this tire if I keep it on the street? Or should I swap on one of my spares, even though they are smaller (well worn 31x10.5 vs. the newer 32x11.5) untile I can afford a new tire? (Or possibly a new SET of tires because i can't find my tires anywhere.

Attached Files:

2. fatnbald

fatnbald Member

unfortunately that tire is wasted. if you drive on it chances are it is going to come appart and will most likely cause relatively serious body damage. it looks like a dunlop tread pattern even if that is not what it says on the tire. try to take it to a dealer and get some credit. if you can't find a dunlop dealer, most goodyear dealers are also dunlop dealers. i can't see the first picture well enough to tell, but it looks like the last number in the DOT is 3 the two numbers before that are the week they were make. if you are under four years i would be very persistant, if you are over four years i would still try for something. that condition is a result of either exposure of the core to the elements or delamination . if it has a patch or plug in that area you probably wont get much, if there is no patch, it's a defective tire.
    1 person likes this.
  3. sickrick

sickrick Active Member

Rubber is "delaminating". Air is getting between the layers of rubber and seperating them. It will continue to get worse until the tire blows out.
    1 person likes this.
  4. Bulldozer

Thanks guys. There is not a single patch or plug in the tire.

It's a "remington wide brute" I think they have some relation to dunlop, because the remington mud brute is the same as the dunlop mud rover.

I think this tire is out of production now, or at least is out of production in this size.

(http://www.remingtontire.us/Specs/Remington/WIDE BRUTE RV ORIG.htm)

The last 3 numbers in the DOT are "506". I suspect thats 2006 not 1996, lol. So, shall I take it to a dunlop dealer and ask for a discount on a new tire?

Edit: It's the same as a dunlop radial rover RV
  5. grey goose

grey goose New Member

Unfortunatly that "big baloonish" flaw in your tire is right smack in the middle of the tread portion of the tire. it makes no sense to keep it on. If as you say you have at least a reasonable spare wich will go further than the damaged one,Better take it off now rather than try "just one more run on it" and have it ruin your day and mabey someone elses wich will cost way more than a new tire. Be safe it cost $ to play.
    1 person likes this.
  6. fatnbald

fatnbald Member

yes, it is a dunlop product. take it to a dunlop/goodyear dealer as they are usually the same. if not, you may want to try an independent dealer like americas tire co. or discount tire co. depending on where you are. if there is no patch and it is one year old you should expect a proration factoring the tread you used up. good luck, but whatever you do, do something to get it off
  7. Bulldozer

Thanks a lot everybody.

Spare is going on today. (grrr... it's on an ugly *** wheel lol)
    Perhaps I'll head over to the local goodyear dealer tommorow.

edit: lol just called the local goodyear place and they said "what size is it?" 32x11.5 "Were you offroading with it?"

DOH! lol.
  8. sqrly1776

sqrly1776 Member

Standard answer - No Sir, I was just driving down the freeway and out of no where this happened...... It's worked for me countless times at Americas Tire Co. I've taken them blow outs full of sand (i forgot to vaccuum it out first) they asked if I was off roading and I told them that I had to pull onto a dirt shoulder to change my tire.

Don't take their sh**, you have a fairly new tire, and it's got a defect. It's not in production anymore you say???? More fuel to my fire, they were obviously having problems with that tire or they'd still produce them, take advantage of that.