Build a set of Evil twins with my New JMR Manual Bender!

Discussion in 'Shop - Fabrication' started by FlyHiFlyLo, Mar 28, 2005.

1. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

I was at the off road swap last weekend and picked up a JMR manual bender. Dudes that thing is the most ingenious tool I have ever seen! When I was at the swap meet they had a 3/8" ratchet bend 1.75x.120 chrome moly. This weekend I went ahead and chopped the old school rear portion of one rail off and built a new one to match the other in less than one day...

I already had a JMR notcher and a pro tools bender (sold the Pro tools and my cracked 1.50 die on e-bay) but this new bender is great! I could bend this 1.50x.120 mild steel in high gear, however low gear is very fast too and tended to be about half speed so I could get my bends really close to one another. A friend has a full power JMR bender and I really don't see the need for a garage guy to go that route. He has a shop so I could see why he might need to go power... But really.... I think this manual deal is more controllable than a valve.

Sure beats Looking like a monkey humping a football like I was with that long levered protools deal. You could actually take this deal out to the races and do Major repairs in the pits, I bought the stand and degree wheel but, if you had to, this thing works so good you could do it right on the ground (in race pit conditions). You don’t need a bench for leverage.

Anyways check out my Evil Duo.

Attached Files:

2. therail

therail Member

hypothetically, of course, could you use maybe a 3/8ths impact for a little sped increase? and just leave the final few degress up to a ratchet?
  3. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

I asked that and they said an impact would just sit there and bang away...And they told me not to try it...(probally not good for the gears inside either) I bet a good drill would would work though. Maybe a bad-ass cordless 18V.... I will have to try it.

But in all reality...The thing works very fast as it is...You could go to full travel in probally less than 10 seconds with no sweat what so ever.
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2005
  4. therail

therail Member

thats probably true about just slamming away. id look into a stout 3/8 air ratchet also. they are way smoother than the impact.

also, where can i look into one of these online, i "googled" it after i posted originally, but the search only turned up this thread. lol.
  5. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

Try JMRMFG.com I'm not sure they have on the site yet...JMR said they just came out with it the week before the swap meet. I just used my standard 1/2-inch Craftsman drive with a 3/4 socket... Like I said- it turns like butter. My neighbor sure was tripping out on it too. (He’s the one who said I looked like a "Monkey Humping a Football" one time while using my old Protools bender deal.)
  6. therail

therail Member

thanks bro!
  7. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

Cole, no prob, Anything for a fellow Robby fan!
  8. CRAIG_HALL

CRAIG_HALL Well-Known Member

I picked up their notcher at the swap meet, pretty sweet.I saw they have an E-bay account selling them as well--do a search for jmr bender.
  9. J_Lothringer

J_Lothringer Well-Known Member

How much was the bender???
  10. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

I worked them a little for swap meet prices. Plus I got 1 set of dies a degree wheel and a stand for my bender and my notcher I got last month. I got everything for $1850.00 and my Notcher was about 5 bills...I love my notcher...Every notch is a perfect and all I have to do is sand some flash off.

Next on my list is Dimple dies those are a really good deal. I think you get 8 sizes for 4 bills.

I'm interested to see what they want on E-bay now...hummm?
  11. ZTFab

ZTFab Active Member

I'm glad to hear some feedback on their notcher...and FINALLY see some pics of it on their website.....it sounds awesome.....will it really do as much of an angle as they claim?"
  12. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

I got ...120 degrees just playing with it...But I had to go to the chop saw and trim it as bottomed out in the hole saw... But yeah! CRAZY ASS NOTCHES!!!
  13. BOLT Performance

BOLT Performance Member

Anyone have more picts of the JMR manual bender? I was going up next week to pick up a hydraulic unit since they finally started making more die options, but the manual bender has me a little curious.

Is it the same bender accept for the drive mechanism?
  14. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

It appears to be the same. I'm at work right now so I don't have pics to post right now cept for this one.

Attached Files:

15. ntsqd

ntsqd Active Member

He had the prototype at the Off Road Expo. I remember looking it and the notcher over then.
  16. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

Here are some close ups...

Attached Files:

17. therail

therail Member

very very trick.