Build My own Enclosed trailer

Discussion in 'Shop - Fabrication' started by Jerry, Oct 3, 2009.

1. Jerry

Jerry Active Member

Anyone have plans for this. Anybody done it? I want to put my race truck in it and still have room for a toilet and maybe Shower. I have seen several but the roofs are too shallow. I really want to build my own cause I dont want to spend $10,000.00 plus for a stacker. Any suggestions?

Pics please

My truck is just over 6' high without lights
    84" Wide
    191" Bumper to bumper
  2. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I bought a beauty last year for $8,500.Its 28ft with a 7ft inside height(door is 6'8").Its 102" wide and has all the bells and whistles.They are out there,just look hard.Its way easier than building one.
  3. Jerry

Jerry Active Member

What make is your trailer?
  4. racer56

racer56 Well-Known Member

The way the economy is now, you can buy a used enclosed trailer cheaper than you could build one.
  5. dannyfab

dannyfab New Member

I thought I would build one too untill I estimated the cost. I laughed and then bought a enclosed trailer to customize.
  6. slcpunk74

slcpunk74 Member

Most enclosed trailers use 1"x1"x .120 wall tube for the walls. I would think you would want to add more support if you wanted a stacker. The cool setup would be a set of torsion axles, boxed (maybe 2"x4"/ 3"x4") tube frame, make it just tall enough to get a bed over your truck, and then long enough to throw a bathroom and sink up front. I worked on trailers for a while so if you have anything I could answer just pm me.
  7. cusico

cusico Active Member

Please look for a used one for sale. Try www.racejunk.com, they have 20,000 trailers on there it seems.

I rebuilt my enclosed trailer (new skin, plywood roof/sides, door, lights, gen box, axles, rims, tires, etc.......) and it cost me a fortune, and so much personal labor time, it started to get to the point I was going to scrap the thing, and buy one for 6-12k and be done. I spent 15k, and killed myself doing the labor for "free".

I got what I wanted, but if my labor was only 10 bucks an hour, it cost 20k plus easy, and thats for a 20 foot trailer that really basic.
    Dont do it!!! I know.

[​IMG]
  8. ML Racer

ML Racer Well-Known Member

9. usmcgunrock

usmcgunrock Active Member

I picked this up for a really good deal not to long ago. It can fit my Explorer with a roof rack with 10" hellas on top. It is livable and works as is right now but it needs finishing work to it. Has all the stuff a toyhauler has just in a simpler style. I have seen a hand full of nice custom enclosed for sale in the last 6 months that were under the 20k mark. I paid under 10k for mine. Oh and mine is like 8'-9' high and around 98" wide. That is about as wide as you can go because the trailer can not be wider then 102"(which mine is) without a special permit and wide load signs.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  10. mikeyfrombc

mikeyfrombc Member

how long is the trailor and do you have any images of inside ??
  11. usmcgunrock

usmcgunrock Active Member

The overall length is 35' I don't have any pictures of the inside right now but I can get some in the next couple days.
  12. ceballos

ceballos Member

bump for any updates or suggestions...
  13. SteveB

SteveB New Member

check out this website. They will build whatever you want and their prices are pretty good for the quality of trailer you get. http://www.ssweldinginc.com/
  14. seanbrody77

seanbrody77 New Member

Nice trailer usmcgunrock. Where did you buy your trailer? I'm also looking for a enclosed trailer for my heavy hauling trucking business. :)