1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Cal City Grand Prix

Discussion in 'Bikes' started by BURLY, Apr 26, 2006.

1. BURLY

BURLY Member

Is anyone racing this weekend?? We will be out there all weekend , if youre out there look for an enclosed trailer with Bates Racing on the side, stop by and have a beer (or soda) and say whats up!!!

2. motochris

motochris Member

I'll be there.

3. BURLY

BURLY Member

Rite on, what are you racing??

4. Lucho

Lucho Well-Known Member

While starting to mark the course yesterday, we got a bit of rain and lots of thunder clouds overhead. The drops of rain weren't much but it definitely helped and for this weekend, the course is going to be awesome. It's a bit faster than the last racecourse. Also we've taken out a hill that we've used several times for reasons that we'll cover during the rider's meeting.

This morning we'll be putting the finishing touches on the rest of the course and the new start/finish/pit area. Check out the links on our site.,

You still have time to sign up until tonight, without paying a late fee. Meet us at the Pizza Factory, Cal City, between 5 p.m. and 8:30 p.m.

Here's the link to our entry: http://www.bpmotorsports.net/06-GP2-Entry-ONLY-pdf.pdf

And link to directions: http://www.bpmotorsports.net/06-GP2-Parking-Scoring-PDF.pdf

So far we have our biggest pre-entry ever with 92 as of this morning. We expect another 25 to 30 tonight at registration.

Saturday's weather: 87 degrees, clear, light winds.

BPMS

5. motochris

motochris Member

XR650R over 30 novice.

6. motochris

motochris Member

I'm guessing to ease the difficulty, so you have less riders trying different lines around the stuck guys and such.

7. Lucho

Lucho Well-Known Member

No. The reason: Certain droppings were found on the hill. That was enough for us to make changes. It's sad that we have to do things to apease some reptile instead of the human kind.
    But we don't want to get into that right now.

The course was super fast, fun but there were a few incidents. None serious but more than usual. It's tougher when you get off at 80+ mph.

Unofficially, Aaron Griffin of Ventura, CA (Open Exp) won the Overall at the GP #2. He was followed by Michael Maute (30+ Exp), Mojave, CA in second OA; and JIm Coffey, Newhall, CA (40+ Noc Class) rounded the top three overall.

More on this shortly.

BPMS

8. Lucho

Lucho Well-Known Member

Aaron Griffin was the Overall rider at the super-fast, Cal-City GP #2. Early leader Jeromy Pritchett had a large lead for the first four laps and then got off, hurting his right foot and arch, and he was out. He could have continued and possibly won but was in too much pain. Second overall was Michael Maute, who could have nabbed the Overall if it weren't for a five-minute penalty for a course infraction. He wound up 2nd overall and 1st in the 30+ Expert Class. Rounding out the top three overall was Jim Coffey, who also finished 1st in the 40+ Novice Class.

The Cal-City course was super-fast with some speeds clocked at well over 80 mph in certain sections. Winner Aaron Griffin, averaged 42.5 mph on the 12.3-mile course. Good job

9. motochris

motochris Member

Yea, it was fast alright. The dust was just ridiculous. I was running second in class (30+ novice) but on the second lap, passing another bike just before mile marker 3, hit that deep zigzagging rain rut doing 75-80. It was ugly, broke my front brake, tweeked the bike some. Got some good road rash and a basketball sized bruise on my hip. All my fault though, had nothing to do with the course itself. I'm sore today. I got up and considered heading back to the truck, but decided to keep going. It was interesting getting the bike slowed without the front brake. I'm not sure how many laps I did...at least 6. How'de I finish after all that Lou? Chris Farrell #338.

10. Lucho

Lucho Well-Known Member

After all that, you finished 3rd in Class and qualified for a well-earned 3rd place in the 30+ Novice Class award. Sorry to hear about your nasty get-off. We said it was going to be fast and dirty. We weren't lying.

See you next time, we hope.

BPMS

11. motochris

motochris Member

Hey Burly.....how you feeling? Did your parents tell you I parked with you guys? I was signing up when you were on your way to the Emergency room. You didn't look good.

12. 1Hondalover

1Hondalover Member

No you weren't lying. The dust was incredible, especially at those speeds.

It was fun though! Great job. Can't wait until the next one.

Jim Coffey

13. motochris

motochris Member

YOU sir....need to step up a class! You were movin'.

14. 1Hondalover

1Hondalover Member

My fourth race since 1983 - no BS. I would run the intermediate class if they had one but I am not going to run expert with guys who race dezert all year.

15. motochris

motochris Member

You were 3rd overall, ahead of all but 2 of the experts. If you had entered the 40+ Expert class,instead of the 40+ Novice you'de have won it too. Don't sandbag, race with the guys that are at your speed level. Regardless of how much you've raced, you're a fast guy.....challenge yourself.

16. Lucho

Lucho Well-Known Member

17. BURLY

BURLY Member

Thanks for asking!Yea I heard you stoped by I had a MAJOR asthma - bronchial attack of some type and was coughing up blood! it sucked!!! I was bummed I didnt get to race!! I will be ready to go for the next one!!!!