cantilever rear suspension

Discussion in 'Shop - Suspension & Steering' started by Dustymiles89, Nov 16, 2007.

1. Dustymiles89

Dustymiles89 New Member

I was wondering if anyone has pictures or advice for a cantilever rear suspension. I am looking at bulding a truck that will handle off road abuse but still have the bed in it. I want to retain the bed without cutting holes in it so I can haul around a dirt bike. I have seen it done before. My main question is, will this system be practical or is there a better way of doing what I want?
  2. Brandon_Charley

Brandon_Charley Formerly "Cracka Racing"

Speed Unlimited was showing off a bolt on cantilever kit a year or so ago, if you have a Ranger you might want to check with them.
  3. jgbjgb

jgbjgb Well-Known Member

Here is another one:

www.ncdcustoms.com/

Scroll about half way down the page for description and pictures.
  4. PrerunnerManiac

PrerunnerManiac Member

I was hoping to find some pics of a kit on a Ranger. I have been talking with Woolworth Motorsports about building one after the first of the year.

I like most people have the Dixon kit on the front, and I need my bed so cantilever sounds like the plan for the rear.
  5. 151fab

151fab Member

Did you do a search? Blitzkrieg and Giant both have done them according to the threads below. There may be more in there but it's your job to find them. I know there's a thread about the aspects of design and engineering of mezzanine rear suspensions. It's my favorite thread but I don't recall it ever talking about kits, purly custom stuff. Try searching Dezertrangers.com too.

mezzanine arms (favorite thread):
    http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12739&highlight=mezzanine

cantilever setups (both have "kits" in the threads):
    http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7361&highlight=mezzanine
    http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21272&highlight=cantilever
  6. organicgun

organicgun New Member

One of my good friends did it on his tacoma it took him many tries but he hasnt had any problems he gets about 17inches with no holes in the bed here are some pics for what its worth hope it helps.

Attached Files:

7. Cpt_Radical

Cpt_Radical Member

This is the Cantilever system that was welded and installed at Speed Unlimited, but they did not have anything to do with the designing or the concept. It is currently cycled at 18" of usable travel but was designed to be able to run a coilover and link setup and can get 22". If you want to know more or if you want one take to me. I designed it and i can adapt it to any vehicle. As for the Ranger kit i have that all designed up and can be cut out at any time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  8. Dezertpilot

Dezertpilot Well-Known Member

Nice kit Cpt Radical.
  9. Cpt_Radical

Cpt_Radical Member

Thanks, it was alot of work but it is soo sweat in the end.
  10. lstrong

lstrong Member

are you looking for a full cantilever rear suspension system or are you looking for cantilever shock mounts for leaf springs?
  11. Dustymiles89

Dustymiles89 New Member

I am looking at keeping leaf springs under the truck. I want to keep the bed without cutting holes in it.
  12. baja619

baja619 Well-Known Member

Hey Cpt_Radical PM sent
  13. atomicjoe23

atomicjoe23 Well-Known Member

CPT Radical. . .PM sent. . .I just noticed on the Speed Unlimited system that the brackets which are attaching the pivot crossmember to the frame aren't welded to the frame. . .they are bolted on. . .is that the way it's going to stay???

There doesn't look to be much room between the axle and the bottom of the bed on that Toyota set-up. . .at first I was like. . .why are the actuating rod mounting points on the bottom of the axle/??? I'm used to seeing them tied in to the top C/L of the axle tubes. . .then I noticed how little room there was to work with and I figured that was the reason for them being mounted so low. . .makes me feel lucky that my '79 F-150 that I'm wanting to cantilever has TONS of room under it!!!
  14. Cpt_Radical

Cpt_Radical Member

There was very little room to work with, however i managed to make it fit. I had to sacrifice the (1.5:1) for the (2.2:1) because there was not enough room. Plus i still have a stock gas tank. I have about 6-8 inches between the axle and the bed and the tie rods sitting butt to butt measure 6 inches. That is why my axle mounts are on the front side of my axle, also it doesn't bind when drooping. As for Speed Unlimited, I was friends with the guy who worked there, and that is it. They had nothing to do with the designing. I designed it as a bolt on kit so that is was easy install and the parts to the kit could be sold. It is applicable to any vehicle with a few mods here or there but the design concept is still the same. I love it. I can load 2 CRF 450s, spare tire, 2 sets of riding gear, 3 jerry cans for the bikes, a 15 gallon barrel of regular for the truck and an ice chest, to go out to the desert for the weekend. Then load everything for a bed tent to sleep in, and Romp it during the day. It is a wonderful system.
  15. baja619

What is the best valving to order the shock with.

Should I say valve them stiff or do you have specifics?
  16. Cpt_Radical

Cpt_Radical Member

I am valved at about 25 compression 20 rebound and i need more rebound. It also depends on if you are linked or not.
  17. baja619

Well 2.5" fade with your setup. Should I get 3.0" if I could? Would they likely fit with no issues? What is the stroke length?
  18. Cpt_Radical

Cpt_Radical Member

I have 10" Kings. 3.0" would not fit. I just haven't valved them correctly. I just haven't had the time.