1. Forum membership has its advantages....
    Dismiss Notice

Chase Motorsports 1595 Henderson 250 Recap

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by CHASETHISTOO, Dec 6, 2010.

1. CHASETHISTOO

CHASETHISTOO Well-Known Member

What a weekend for the Chase Motorsports TEAM. I emphasize team because I couldn't have done it without any one of them. We went into this race hoping to secure the Rookie of the Year Award. It came down to Adam Pfankuch, Chris Kemp, and myself.

The weekend started off with time trials on thursday. We drew first off the line behind the only 1100 at the time Ryan Plowman. Ryan left the line and I figured I had enough time to relax but Casey sent me off right behind him as if he were a 1500 car. I caught Ryan 3/4 way around (not his fault). I would have caught him earlier but I blew a right rear brake line. At this point Jake (my co driver) and myself were the only ones there. We quickly went to work on repairing it. The race trailer wasn't there because it was already out in Jean so I didnt have a replacement line. BIG THANKS to the Voss team who gave me one. We got it repaired before the actual qualifying run but unfortunatley I fell short with a 19th qualifying spot.

Raceday started early with the bikes going off around 6ish. We set up shop for the day, got our crews into position after the team meeting, and got the 2095 ready for battle. The plan was to put me in the drivers seat for the first lap with Kyle Quinn riding shot gun. For lap two Kyle was to get in the drivers seat and my brother in law Jamie to ride shot gun. We lined up in the third row next to Kevin Smith in the ultra leathal Mirage car. When the green light lit we were gone. We had Kevin by half a car, he wasn't lifting and neither was I. Eventually I got in front of him just to let him by not to long later. It was a pretty uneventful 1st lap. We kept Kevin close and was putting time on third. We did however pull a first in the history of off road racing but you'll have to ask Kyle Quinn the details on that one. As we were coming into main for the drivers change we noticed the oil light flicker. We stopped at the finish stop sign and the car died. I got her refired but the oil light stayed on. No big deal I thought, my pits only a couple hundred yards away. When we pulled in they yelled to kill the motor. Oil was everywhere. We lost the oil seal on the doghouse cooler. No big deal, we'll get a block off plate and bypass it. (after looking everywhere for an oil seal) Finally got everything buttoned up, Kyle and Jamie in the car, and out on the road. They drove a 1/2 mile and it locked up. (we think) We'll know more when we tear it down.

At this time my co driver Brad and I are getting in the 1595. Like I said before I qualified 19th. This lined me up next to Pat Dean. My strategy was to mash the gas and if I beat him to stay infront of him. If I didnt stay close enough to the local to have him show me the fast lines. As the green light lit I put the hammer down. I thought I had him but got hung up in the soft stuff that later high centered Househoulder. Ok...plan B. I stayed in his dust as much as possible with out wadding the car up. I slowly started to pass cars by the way side. The first lap pretty much consisted of picking my way through the dust. I came through main on my way out on my second lap and I came through 6th on the road. I was told I was behind Kemp by 4 minutes and that Phankuch hadn't come through. I picked up the pace on the second lap mostly because I had clean air. As I passed through pit two we stopped for a fast fuel stop and were on our way. As we left Kemp had 3 minutes on me and Rick Johnson was the next vehicle behind by 1 minute 45. I had put some time on Kemp when I got a flat coming in to the S turns heading toward the dry lake bed. We jumped out and my co driver was on it. By time I pulled the tire off the rack he had the flat one off. I put the flat up and jumped back in the car. He was right behind me yelling go go go. I stayed at a consistent speed untill he was fully buckled in. My brother in law gave me the split at spectator area number 2 and had me at 6 minutes down. I pushed hard to finish off lap 2. I came in to main heading out on lap 3 for a splash of fuel for insurance and the lightbar. Every pit I picked up a little time. I knew I had to beat him to wrap up the Rookie of the Year standings. Half way through the last lap it started to get dark. I'm ok with this. I've done my fair share of night driving so I felt comfortable at high speeds. Right before the dry lake bed outside Primm I started to catch dust. I was hoping it was Kemp but it was Ray Griffith. Unfortunately he had a great run going but his upper lightbar broke off and his co driver had to hold it in his lap. Ray pulled off course for me and let me pass. Thanks for not kicking up a bunch of dust, it was much appreciated. As I crossed spectator area 2 my brother in law told me that I was 2 minutes 45 back from Kemp. I drove the wheels off the car that last 10 miles. I picked up enough time I ended up taking second over Kemp by almost 2 minutes. I finished 5th overall, second in class, and ROOKIE OF THE YEAR for the season. Super pumped on the weekend. All we needed was a trouble free race to show what we are capable of.

Thanks to Mom and Dad for everything. My wife Andrea for putting up with my countless hours in the shop. The entire crew who puts their time in every week volutarily to make sure my dad and I have a flawless car to run. Muir-Chase Plumbing, J&M Contractors, Astro Plumbing Supply, McKenzies, TCS, Amsoil, FORD, Good Year, Noppert Race Engines, and many others that gave us advice and assistance along the way.

I also want to thank Chris and Adam for taking the rookie race down to the wire. Congradulations Chris on the overall Championship.

2. joe1369

joe1369 Well-Known Member

Congrats to a whole bunch of great people who dedicate themselves to the sport we love!!!!!!! You guys have a great attitude, great sponsors and a whole lot of fun in the desert we all love. Joe1369

3. EBryant

EBryant Well-Known Member

Is that how it went down? I was shooting video at that right hander mm60.5. :)
    Nice run guys. It was a blast watching you all season. Look forward to 2011!

4. CHASETHISTOO

Yeah I'm sure thats not an exact depiction but it sure felt that way and we still ended up in second. If it took longer it just shows you how much faster I drove to make up that time. :)

5. CHASETHISTOO

Seriously though, I couldn't be happier with my teams performance Saturday.

6. mwilsonphoto.com

mwilsonphoto.com Well-Known Member

7. Rigid Industries

Rigid Industries Well-Known Member ADVERTISER

nice work man, you guys are a class act...

8. CHASETHISTOO

Thanks Taylor!

9. JoeyD23

JoeyD23 Well-Known Member

Great work to the entire Chase Motorpsorts team. One of the coolest father son duos in the game! Great work Travis!

10. 07FJRog

07FJRog Well-Known Member

Great Job Travis, Congrats to you and your team! ROtY 2010 FTW! lol

Verification:
Draft saved Draft deleted