1. Forum membership has its advantages....

chassis jig

Discussion in 'Shop - Miscellaneous' started by Ryan B, Jan 27, 2004.

1. Ryan B

Ryan B Member

My boss and I are going to build a jig for a manx we have in the shop. Does anyone know were I can find some good pictures of any chassis jigs.
    thanks

2. ntsqd

ntsqd Active Member

There are purpose built chassis plates, but a jig is pretty much what you want/need it to be. Commonly a Dragster jig is based on a Large I or W beam.

For those road racing cars that we needed to jig we used a big steel cart that weighed about 500lbs by itself. We'd lower the car onto jackstands on the cart with the car hoist. Then any hard points (Suspension pivot points, engine mounting tabs, etc.) that were not being cut out got tabs bolted to them. The tabs where then welded to stand-offs which where tack welded to the cart. All of the stand-offs were then braced. None of this was pretty, just functional.
    Once we had all of the tabs deemed needed picked up, we would remove the jackstands and go about what ever mod was to be made.

If you are going to be doing more than one, then designing the stand-offs to be easily removed would be worthwhile. Everything I did was one-off so they were usually sawzalled off the cart and the cart's deck was ground flat.

3. UndercoverFab

UndercoverFab Member

my jig is more like a table, 4x6 one inch plate with 3 slots per side that sliding mounts can go in that`ll lock in to hold tubing in place, it sits on 2x2 square tubing with some beefy casters mounted on jack screws, i can raise or lower the table 20 inchs and also use them to level the table on any surface. I`m real happy with this setup for what i do with it, the only thing i might change is rig up some sort of drive to turn the jackscrews instead of having to do it manually.

4. SpareChangeRacng

SpareChangeRacng Member

Here's ours (Rob's actually) with my truck, or what we cut it down to, welded to it. It's square, and if we took the time to mount the pads we made for it could be level too.

Attached Files: