1. Forum membership has its advantages....

chevy 2500HD long travel?

Discussion in 'Shop - Suspension & Steering' started by bean dip, Feb 24, 2008.

1. bean dip

bean dip Member

doe's anybody make a long travel kit for the 2500HD chevy, if so is it any good. im thinking of running 37' tires and want LT kit for chase truck.:D

2. jeff

jeff Super Moderator

Chase truck... hmm... 2wd or 4wd? If you want to built a 4wd truck the front diff, axle shafts, hubs, are all going to need to be replaced (expensive) if you want a reliable long travel 2500HD running 37's. If you are willing to drive a timebomb you can run the factory stuff. Unless you've got mega bucks to build it right you might consider ditching the IFS and running a solid axle. You can get decent travel and reliability from a solid axle for far less than a full custom IFS system.

Or...
    http://www.fabtechmotorsports.com/applications/gm/4wd01-06-gmk2500hd.html

Aloha

3. xnoregretsx

xnoregretsx Member

isnt 2wd 2500 front end the same as the 1500?

i cant imagine it being any different you dont tow with yoru front a arms and stuff...
    i know the rearend has a bigger rearend and all that mess but up front im thinkin its the same.. if ur only chasing u shoudlnt need a all out race kit.. a decent spindle lift and a smaller bypass and air bumps ..

4. Ryno

Ryno Well-Known Member

Not to contradict jeff...but I was told the PRO4 CORR guys all run a 2500hd front driveline. Granted, they change it out every round, but you can get the parts for decently cheap. A complete front axle shaft runs$100. I saw the fabtach kit, and it's REALLY nice. I put bilstein 5100's on mine, and 285 tires.

The other thing is steering. If you run anything over the factory pizza cutter tires, you have to upgrade it. I got the Cognito kit, and it does okay. I don't use mine for full chase duties, but it's the rescue and retrieval truck for our group in the desert.

5. partybarge_pilot

partybarge_pilot Well-Known Member

If you want something beatable, your only choice is goingto be custom. Like this http://jdfabrication.com/photos/SS/index.html

The outer CV's are plenty strong enough, the inners need replacing. So far now problem with the 934's.

After you fix the steering, the frame will start to flex. They are now fixing another Cheby buy cutting off the front of the frame.........

6. bean dip

bean dip Member

2WD, Im going to chase and run around the desert.

7. Lance

Lance Member

Ill build you one Pm me and ill send you some pics of stuff i have built

8. Desertbound

Desertbound Member

Does anyone know what JD fab did for axles on that 4wd kit? Are they custom, lengthened stockers or what?

9. rlury

rlury Member

check out muzilla they have some pretty sweet long travel kits for the hds.

10. CODY_BUH

CODY_BUH New Member

i know mazzulla did an 2500 kit a while back...he'd have to do it custom though..but hit me up..

11. partybarge_pilot

Custom lengthened axles with stock outer CV and a 934 inner. The original set had 930 inners, but they only lasted a couple of trips. So far now problems at all with the 934's. They had the inner adapter plates machined locally and the axles were Swayaway or TCS, I can't remeber.......

12. jesusgatos

jesusgatos Active Member

That's the conclusion that we came to. It's still not done though, and has been at Troy Johnson's shop for longer than I'd like to admit. Here's a link to some of the updates through the build-up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. gawdodirt

gawdodirt Member

Light racing has a kit for this and it's pretty bulletproof. It's the one chosen by the Border patrol with bumpstops. Very good stuff and great off-roadability. But it's not too lifted. 35' for sure, 37's maybe.
    If you're after the performance go with Light Racing. If your after a "look" anything else will do.

GD

14. partybarge_pilot

Linky no worky....

15. jesusgatos

jesusgatos Active Member

Really? It seems to be working for me. Try again?

16. crazyjohnny

crazyjohnny Member

17. CMazzulla

CMazzulla Member

I have built an Hd before also and I will say that you are better off going with a cst kit (dropdown 4wd/Spindle 2wd) and some good shocks and bump stops. I had nothing but problems with long travel sus. for these trucks, WAY TOO HEAVY. The frame was definitely not designed for a 7k lb truck to handle woops with no consequences. It can be done but be weary of the frame rails and the diesels are not easy to get tubes over the motor for proper trussing.

18. NolanYAZ

NolanYAZ New Member

Just picked up my JD Fab kit for my 05 4x4 1500 on Monday, the axels are custom 300m

19. NolanYAZ

NolanYAZ New Member

whoa this thread is OLD