1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Class 7200 Engines

Discussion in 'Shop - Engine' started by Victor, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Victor

Victor New Member

Anybody building a class 7200 with the new Mustang motor? I know its not a Busch motor but its an alternative.

2. idealer

idealer Active Member

I have a odd fire motor I am very motivated to sell (Fresh) shameless plug :)

3. Victor

Victor New Member

PM Sent

4. dezerts10

dezerts10 BANG!! BANG!!

Juan co Aka fiberwerx and Jerry lierimore put one in his class 6 for the Baja 1000

5. Jerry

Jerry Active Member

Under drive is what is important in this equation. The 3.7 is great and revs to the moon in stock form but the under drive is the mojo! The 2 together will kill the 4.5. 250 hp to the wheels with 37's th400 and Dana 60. 4.5 cost as much as the under drive and 3.7 per year to maintain.

6. bigtex

bigtex Active Member

I do not think you make these claims until you prove it......How does 250hp beat 500hp? unless the 500hp breaks but like you proved at the 1000, it's not always the engine that breaks.

7. Travisfab

Travisfab Active Member

4.5's put down 500 to the wheels?

8. solo6

solo6 Member

I think the under drive is the way to go but I think you still need a race motor. 250 or 500hp race motor with racing internal parts. I think the Backus team were using the punched out stock motor and I thought they didnt hold up. Dont quote me on that. The 4.5's are just very good race engines with the best parts that have been holding up so far. Everytime I try to save money it cost double to do it right the second time.

(+1) 1 person likes this.
  9. Victor

Victor New Member

Anybody ahve any experience with the 3.6 LY7 out of a Cadilac? Its puts out about 260hp stock

10. baja619

baja619 Well-Known Member

Short star motors are used in sand cars all the time.

11. ProfessionalPitMan

ProfessionalPitMan Active Member

You said it correct. Race engines. If we were talking anything other than racing, I understand talking about the cost of the 4.5 (which should be b.i.t.d class champion and runner up motor of choice for the third year in a row in the next 30 minutes). The 4.5 is still the best choice.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

12. mexracer10

mexracer10 Well-Known Member

I believe that soon we will begin to see a development of new engines being converted to race engine such as the camero direct injection engines, its about time new tech made its way into the v6 world, just like the ls engines did for v8's.

13. GRENADE

GRENADE Member

Al Hogan just won the race and the 7200 championship with a 4.5 that we build for him !!!!!!!!

14. Jerry

Jerry Active Member

250 hp was to the wheels which is less than my v8 at 220.

15. Jerry

Jerry Active Member

How much is it to maintain in a year? 5k 10k or more if it doesn't explode? Rode in truck with 4.5 and while they are fast I don't believe they have staying power now that we have under drives. Further my 3.7 is stock and we run Pemex in it. Just the fuel cost for one race is huge.

16. Jerry

Jerry Active Member

That was one of the engines we talked about. We chose ford for the money they offer for winning.

17. GRENADE

GRENADE Member

We try to freshen engine's every 1500 miles.

18. racer56

racer56 Well-Known Member

The only advantage of the "new tech" LS engines have over a small block is cost.

19. GRENADE

GRENADE Member

we try to freshen engine every 1500 miles

20. mexracer10

mexracer10 Well-Known Member

I still love the small blocks, but weight and in stock form the ls engines offer a lot more for race cars and availability is much greater. In the v6 world there has always been a lack of options when it came to engines and parts, even the 4.5 engines are old rare and expensive, hence why its time for the new stuff to begin to take over. Each have an awesome platform to start with toyota 4.0, chevy 3.6, and the ford 3.7.