Class three isuzu amigo???

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by Tipracer, Apr 21, 2009.

1. Tipracer

Tipracer Well-Known Member

SO I saw a prerunner listed on craigslist and it caught my attention, called the guy, checked it out and was blown away...I know its just an amigo but it is full race, fire system, shocks, cage, liquid filled gauges, fuel cell, ect… and I got it for a great price. So my question is, does any body have any idea who (beside Bob Land) was racing Isuzu amigos in score class three?? I will post up some pics later, but there is some very custom work done to the intake (dual mikuni 2 bll carbs), as well as more custom aluminum containers than you can shake a stick at. It has two bilstein reservoir shocks per corner, and I will post up some pics later but right now I was hoping to get any info on who built it and what was done to the internals, engine, trany, axel ect. ect..(It is 4x4 and 4cyl btw) thanks for your help.
  2. Lance T

Lance T Well-Known Member

3. ANSRACING

ANSRACING Member

if you are refering to a blue one, we used to own it.
  4. Tipracer

yes it is blue..
    small world...they guy i got i from had little to no info, so i am in the process of prepping it and I was wondering 1)what problems you might have had with it and 2) any specs??? schock valving, motor work,? anything to look into, take care of ect...
  5. WickedGravityVideo

WickedGravityVideo Well-Known Member

In '99-'01, Isuzu made the Vehicross --- they used Baja for part of their marketing and testing. I remember a Japanese paraplegic that raced a Vehicross in the 2004 B1K. I have video of it in my dvd IN DUST WE TRUST, Vol. 1. The Vehicross has a cult following online -- did not import many to the US -- I would own one, but they designed the cockpit for smaller frames, ie, nobody over 200# will be comfortable in the seats. The Amigos and Vehicross' have very short wheelbases.
  6. Tipracer

it is an amigo for sure..
    and yes the vehicross is very high on the BA scale
  7. ANSRACING

ANSRACING Member

don't hold me to this,
    we bought it in Anahiem,Ca about 6 years ago.the guy we bought from i think was a class 7 racer. the story was there were 2 identical amigos built by isuzu to race in dakar. the cost of building each was $150k i think?
    we pre ran a few races, up the summit, san felipe, mikes and simpsons. this car would go anywhere, and never let you down.
    only issue we ever had because there is very minimal suspension travel we broke the front shock tower. i think fabco repaired and reinforced it.
    you really should post pics, the detail is incredible. we always were amazed that the more you looked into it the more you found. all bolts had safety wire going through them... just super well built.
    i think if you get the suspension figured out you will have a great car that will definately finish..
    let me know if you have anymore questions.
    al
    (+1) 1 person likes this.
  8. Tipracer

with out a doubt it has some of the best finishing touches i have seen , the detail is unreal....every overflow container is handmade aluminum, there are resivoirs for every fluid(you can add rear diff oil from the cab..) very well built, and I did see the repair of the front shock tower...came with six mounted bfgs, one spare rim and two mounted paddles....two msd ignition boxes, msd timing retarder, fire suppresion, so much stainless braided lines ect ect...I took pics yesterday evening and will post when i get home...what a gem..
    and for sure the suspension is limited but with new shock tech(not that the old ones are bad ) I'm sure this will cruise any course at a good clip...I will most likely not race this thing, mainly because I am normally racing in other classes but as a low buck prerunner this is the cats meow...thanks for the info, at least it is going to hopefully put me in right direction...
    rep on the way!!
  9. dan200

dan200 #BSF200

I believe these were the original guys to race it.... sorry, i couldnt resist...

I really wanna se pics though. I had a boss who had an amigo and we would tease him pretty bad about it since we had Jeeps.

Attached Files:

10. randy s

randy s Well-Known Member

screw that tipracer.get that thing ready for argentina! ja ja.
  11. Tipracer

what an epic road trip that would be...trailer it all the way down and the chase the race....
    I will have to get the fiances ok as I was amazed that she was stoked when i bought this thing..it might be a strech to take it to the dakar...hel1 Im gonna be happy if things work out and I make it to dakar.
    RDC dakar road trip 2010 hopefull!!!
  12. Dezertpilot

Dezertpilot Well-Known Member

Post PiKs!!!!
  13. ANSRACING

ANSRACING Member

i would check the tires. i am almost positive that those are the ones we got when we purchased it.
    good luck.
  14. spalind

spalind Well-Known Member

Still need a boat to get to South America by car/truck...Darien Gap is still unpaved and unconnected by any road system...plus there is the issue of major drug cartels in that area..NUMEROUS kidnappings...ask Robert Young Pelton and a number of others...most people bringing a car/truck that direction put it on a boat at some point and sail around that area...
  15. Tipracer

skinny 265/75x15's no doubt!!! They look old...Testament to the mighty BFG...still going...
  16. fordnut

fordnut Member

Yeah, X2
  17. randy s

randy s Well-Known Member

yep. the darien gap and the fact that you have to post a large bond on your rig in some of those countries make it tough just to get in and drive down........it would be a gas tho.
  18. Tipracer

picks will be up later to night for sure...I promise!!1
  19. Zambo

Zambo Well-Known Member

I always thought the vehicross would make a BA stock mini, but I don't think they ever sold more than about 2000 of them in a year. I think they had bypass shocks stock if I'm not mistaken. I say a really nice one up in Big Bear a few months back.
  20. cancinoj

cancinoj Active Member

nice, where are the pics ,.