Cut and weld axles

Discussion in 'Shop - Driveline' started by punchdrunk monkey, Jan 19, 2011.

1. punchdrunk monkey

punchdrunk monkey Active Member

I'm building a kart for my son and the rear suspension will be some sort of IRS setup. I'm going to use a quad rear bearing carrier for the sprocket and brake, then weld 930 drive flanges on the axle (cut axle just past the sprocket and rotor). Doing some quick measurements it looks like I will have short axles to keep the track width down. I don't want to spend a fortune on having custom axles made. Do you think I could cut a few inches out of an old axle weld it back together? Cut the axle nice and clean, chamfer the edges, lay axle in a "v" block and TIG weld it up. The motor is going to be a Yamaha 350. So there isn't going to be a ton of power.
  2. movindirt

movindirt Wham Spore

Doubt it will work. Axles are made of very hard material and welding on them will cause problems. The only way that might work would be to tig with correct filler rod then re heat treat.

Best way would be to have them cut down and resplind.
  3. punchdrunk monkey

I agree this would be the correct way but I have no idea what it cost (or who can do it) to respline. I would never think of doing this on a full size car but for a go kart???
  4. 200MPHTape

200MPHTape Well-Known Member

Why not just link the quad axle and make it a truggy cart?
  5. punchdrunk monkey

Right now it is a swing arm. It has worked ok for a couple of years. My son was 7 when we built it and it had a Honda 185s motor. He is driving harder and faster now so the 185 is not enough. We are moving up to a Yamaha 350. Anyways, the swing arm is taking a beating and I think IRS would ride much better. Plus I need a summer project. Keeping the chain tight has been a real PITA with the swing arm too.
  6. Haycock

Haycock Member

why 930? i bet you could find a smaller cheaper cv that will get more angle.
  7. punchdrunk monkey

Because 930 stuff is readily available (stub axles, drive flanges, axles and cv's). Plus I have the drive flanges and cv's already. And If I break a cv on my car I can steal one from my kids :)
  8. Porboy

Porboy Active Member

Weld it like you want and also throw a tube over the weld area for strength. With the small tires you are running and low power I doubt you will have much twist.
  9. PDANK Racing

PDANK Racing Active Member

Can you post any pictures of your kart? I've been planning on building one for my 8 yr old, and have been brainstorming on how to do a low cost IRS for it. Thought about using u-joint and shaft off of farm equipment, it would allow the axle to extend and retract, but am not sure the strength is there. So far we have a complete suzuki quadsport, that I going to steal majority of parts from, and fab a custom frame with roll cage. Also was trying to figure out what size steel I should use for the frame, thought light guage 1.5 x 2 tubing for frame and 1" for cage. Any suggestions?
    For the engine, we are using a doggy yamaha 250 motor, so I want to keep weight down until he's old enough to handle the yama 440 sled motor:D
  10. D-rek

D-rek Active Member

For the low hp it shouldn't be an issue I did it for our mini baja car and it worked fine. We had bought a set of axles and decided to make some last minute changes to the rear suspension and we needed longer axles and didn't have the budget for new ones so I used a piece of tubing to sleeve it. I wouldn't do it on a race car. They actually do it for the pinion gear on certain VW trans because certain ratios were not available in certain styles of trans....
  11. punchdrunk monkey

PDANK- Here are a few pictures. We used a Honda 185s motor. It's worked good for the last few years but he's growing out of it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. BRINGTHERUCKUS

BRINGTHERUCKUS Nimrod de PMC

Cut them weld them, then sleeve and rosette weld it. for that application it will be just fine. we've done something similar before on the front of an F-150, hasnt broke yet.
  13. 07FJRog

07FJRog Well-Known Member

Weller Racing has a setup for you, they use it in the SR1 race rhinos with a-arm rear suspension and use type two or 930 flanges. this way you can get axles without alot of $$.
  14. PDANK Racing

Kart looks really good. I thinking of staying along the same lines with the cage, but single seater. What size tubing did you use?
  15. movindirt

movindirt Wham Spore

Now I am not a bike guy and just brain storming but why not make a flange that bolts on with the sprocket/ rotor that adapts to a 930? Isn't the axle splined for both on either side of carrier bearing? And if you do weld it up would make it impossible to disassemble?

Linking the quad axle would be cool, but then you wouldn't have spare cv's for your car. Real nice dad.... Hahahahahaha. Seriously though, that is a good looking car and your boy is one lucky kid.
  16. punchdrunk monkey

Thanks for all the input. I've come to the conclusion that cutting and welding will not be a problem.

For the drive flanges, I'm thinking of drilling and bolting them on. Maybe throw on a tack weld or two. Then I can still get them off if needed. If the motor has enough power to shear the bolt then I'll step up to plan "B", completely welding them.

The upper cage hoops are 1"x.095 the rest of the car is 1"x.065. He's flipped the car 2 different times and ran into multiple bushes, large bushes and it's held up fine. The orginal plan was for a single seater but then he wanted to drive his friends around so it became a 2 seater.
  17. PDANK Racing

Thanks for the sizes. Post some pics of the irs setup when you're done.
    For steering, did you just use a quad parts?