DAKAR 2012 - Final Thoughts

Discussion in 'Rally Raid' started by RBrown, Jan 15, 2012.

1. RBrown

RBrown Member

Congrats to team SPEED for their Dakar Effort. They had a very good showing considering all the distractions. Three stage wins and could have had 5 w/o babysitting Nassar. Can't wait for RG & JC's post dakar thoughts. Here are a few of mine:

1*) JC did an amazing job as first time nav. Shows what a professional he is. RG needs to keep him on board. Also, tie up AG as your navigator for a second car (see #4 below)

2) RG made some progress on learning what pace it takes to win DAKAR while keeping his equipment alive. (Thanks Nasser) I don’t know how well Bob Gordon and RG work together but he seems like a natural to manage this team. He was always a smooth driver and a finisher which is certainly what’s needed at Dakar. And maybe he can keep RG focused and talk him down when “KMA” RG shows up. (“KMA” RG is entertaining, but rarely improves a situation)

3) Make sure the Hummer (Jeep, Tahoe, Escalade, etc.) is unquestionably 100% legal, U can bet the AS(sh)O(les) will look for any opportunity to keep RG from winning (they have shown their hand)

4) Work on securing a 2nd driver now while the iron is hot. We have several desert racers who would be great (LR, RM, AS, BJ, CH, AorMM, etc…) or maybe a Nascar buddy like Tony Stuart. Sell it as a challenge and once in a lifetime adventure. Can you imangine the coverage we would get then! But whoever it is, make sure they are willing to be a team player. RG certainly showed he is.

Thank you RG/JC & Team Speed for the effort. That was a 2 week rollercoaster ride!!!!!
  2. Ferrari333SP

Ferrari333SP Well-Known Member

Robby Gordon with Johnny Campbell

Mark Miller with Andy Grider

Thoughts?
  3. y2kbaja

y2kbaja Well-Known Member

Best online coverage of an event. Reasons? 1) It was on during our early morning work so for two weeks not many of us worked until RG finished. 2) Live tracking was second to none. We didn't need to know where the were specifically on the course but at what CP they were at. And the timing at the CP's were CORRECTED times giving us the ACTUAL running order half way around the world. 3) Same day summary videos and shows. Even though some were not in English it was still SAME DAY COVERAGE!

Watching a handfull of Americans and American product (Total Chaos I was following the whole time) battle against the world.

For many of us it's a dream race to participate in as it requires millions (well maybe hundreds of thousands for an entry level position) to attempt the Dakar. So being able to track and watch it for 2-weeks, it's like having the SCORE, BITD and SNORE season run back to back for two weeks.
  4. swu chase1

swu chase1 Member

2nd hummer with Andy Mac and his team
  5. Pee Wee

Pee Wee Active Member

Darren Skilton in the second car, lots of experience which would be more important than just speed.
  6. pdailey

pdailey #billsson

^^^This

I think Andy would be a great Dakar driver. He is fast and consistent at the same time. The key ingredients to win a race like this.

PS.... Mini's are for girls.
  7. Ferrari333SP

Ferrari333SP Well-Known Member

Remember, that plug doesn't do **[​IMG] ¡Ay, caramba!****[​IMG] ¡Ay, caramba!****[​IMG] ¡Ay, caramba!****[​IMG] ¡Ay, caramba!**.
  8. Offspring

Offspring Well-Known Member

I put these somewhere else but here they are again:

1) JC did an incredible job jumping in that right seat; I never worried about him being first on course. I'm sorry about being worried about it after stage one, but IMO that was honest Johnny having the time of his life.

2) Nasser was the perfect driver for the second H3, he absolutely drove it with everything he had. I think he was prepared to be out of the rally quicker and only quit when it was obvious to him he would not win this thing outright. I would think the H3's performance in this rally may have opened other driver's eyes to possibly driving one in the future (what ever it is called). Didn't care for his give-up before it was over, but I guess that is to be expected.

3) Thanks to Mark Miller and Will Higman for their valuable input here during the rally. I can only imagine how hard it was for MM to have to lurk here instead of participating, yet he answered everyone's questions. Good luck to MM where ever he goes next year. I have always enjoyed Will's insight from his earlier trips, and it sounds like he is ready to go back.

4) I hope the McMillins have caught a terminal case of Dakar!

5) Congratulations to D. Skilton for a great accomplishment.

7) Glad Quinn Cody will be okay, that was a very scary crash. I hope J. Street can find a balance between personal life, financing and somehow finding that balance to come back for another try.

8) Looking forward to hearing about all the behind-the-scenes in preparation for next year.
  9. pdailey

pdailey #billsson

And the ASO can kiss Robby's ass. lol
  10. mexgamer

mexgamer Well-Known Member

1) Despite all the drama I think the Dakar was great. The drivers and riders who help each other to get to the finish line and show a good sportsmanship conduct are the ones who make the Dakar great. Yes, the organization can show favoritism, yes the winners of the vehicles and motorcycles category might be ASS h0l*s (Peterhansel and Despres) but only they know what they've done and I hope one day they reconsider their conduct and actions and at least apologize.

2) Robby Gordon put on a good show. It was he and his team against the world and THEY FINISHED THE RALLY! Maybe it could have been better but considering all what they had to go through (one support truck for half the rally, baby sitting Nasser, Nasser dropping out, the DQed, etc, etc, etc) it was a great race. JC proved to be a great navigator, he did great. I hope RG keeps him as a co-driver for next year.

3) I would like to thank you all for all your input and comments. It was fun to follow the Dakar here on RDC and it was great to share my thoughts with you and read yous as well. Thanks to Mark Miller and Will Higman for their professional input and point of view.

CAN'T WAIT FOR NEXT YEAR!!!
  11. hp_lovecraft

hp_lovecraft Member

The coverage here was excellent. I found this forum while trying to google updates on the Dakar.
    Obviously, a win for RG would have been best, but if you look at the waypoints that he was leading, it shows that he did great:

Waypoints led (by driver):
    Gordon 22
    Nasser 17
    Roma 17
    Peter 15
    Holo 5
    Novi 1

Waypoints Led (by vehicle):
    Hummer 39
    Mini 38

If you didn't know the results of the race, someone looking at that data might assume that Gordon and Nasser finished #1 and #2 overall. But Nasser dropped out 1/2 way through, and Gordon finished #4. For both, the problem was mechanical issues. The waypoints not led by Hummers were because they suffered a fault beyond chaning a tire, causing them significant time.

But I don't care. It was a great race, and great videos, and like I said, the coverage here really made up for the lack otherwise.
  12. Will_Higman

Will_Higman Dakar Finisher

Thanks to Mark for sure I know how hard it must have been to be at home this year and I am glad he didn’t give up on the RDC community.

I am ready and have always been ready to go back but there are very few seats and opportunities to do so. After competing in the rally twice and being close a third time I promised myself that I would only go back if I am actually in the race. I love all the hard work and dedication that it takes to be a Dakar Finisher and I still feel like I have the skills to get it done again at any level. I am staying focused on the business end of things and hoping for something to click.

Thanks to everyone here on RDC for making it fun to follow the rally from home.

:)
  13. Short Bus

Short Bus Well-Known Member

I was thinking about this as well. With the experiences he has had with ASO, he needs someone whose job is to take care of all the dealings with them. Bob, would do a good job, but he is too close to Robby. Someone that has worked with ASO on other teams may have better luck keeping them in line. Maybe someone from VW's old team?
  14. manicmechanic

manicmechanic Active Member

Darren Skilton, to use fewer words.
  15. kaw500

kaw500 Well-Known Member

Final thoughts, so many from a great two weeks;
    Quinn, ouch. Jonah a real gamer. Nasser, the Qatar Quitter. Mini's, are for girls. Decent TV coverage each night. RG, what's left to say.

Thanks to all on the RDC forums I have been following DAKAR for 30 years, the last 8 on this board and each year it just gets better.
    IMHO this board has some of the most knowledgeable, passionate. arrogant, irritable, and informative race fans anywhere.

Now the post DAKAR depression, what am I supposed to do next week? Work while I'm at my desk?

I look back on this years event and can only imagine the thousands of stories, the stones it must take to keep going.

Here's to 2013, HAPPY NEW YEAR!!
  16. randy s

randy s Well-Known Member

stephane peterhansel is a great, great racer....too bad he's such a loud mouth weenie...i'm glad i'm not french..
  17. jo maoma

jo maoma Heisenberg

props to this guy right here. my first trip to baja (and the start of my addiction)
    was to crew for him when he soloed the '05 500, he saw it as the first step to his
    dream of getting to dakar. he finished his dream today and i'm proad to count
    him as a friend. top US finisher...

[​IMG]
  18. randy s

kudos to andy grider for standing up on his hind legs and not layin' down for any bullchit in the biggest event of it's kind on the planet. that took balls and that there is a man of principle and we should be very proud of him.
  19. pdailey

pdailey #billsson

I would love to hear the whole story on this. Ohhhh to be a fly on the wall.
  20. randy s

how cool is that? congratulations