1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Dakar 2012 - Stage 3 - San Rafael > San Juan

Discussion in 'Rally Raid' started by klaus, Jan 2, 2012.

1. klaus

klaus Administrator

If you have ever been lucky enough to fly over the Andes Mountains, you will have some sort of idea of what awaits the competitors during the third stage of the Dakar 2012 this Tuesday. As if squeezed by the hand of a giant, the rocks are laid out in strata, then suddenly cut off, offering the eyes a palette of red and orange nuances. On the ground, the reality is less poetic: on the day's special stage between San Rafael and San Juan, river bed crossings as well as potholes and rocks make the terrain particularly bumpy. The robustness of the machines will be put to the utmost test should the competitors make the slightest mistake. The hierarchy drawn up over the first two stages is of course merely provisional. As everyone predicted, the favourite in the car category, Stephane Peterhansel is already in the lead, but will his team-mates on the Mini team and the Hummers allow him to take advantage of his dominance? Again, as everyone predicted, the favourite in the bike race, Marc Coma, rode his race to perfection on Monday, gaining the ascendency over his main rivals. Yet, Francisco Lopez on his Aprilia, or Coma's KTM team-mate, Cyril Desprès, who made a superb comeback on stage 2, are far from their last throw of the dice. The surprise at the beginning this Dakar 2012 lies in the quad category, incarnated by Uruguayan Sergio La Fuente. However, the Patronelli brothers and Tomas Maffei are most likely to be organising a riposte on their home terrain. As for the heavyweight confrontation between the trucks of Dutchmen Gerard De Rooy and Hans Stacey, not forgetting Russian driver Nikolaev, it will necessarily be the last of the day, but certainly not the least exciting. 291 kilometres of link stage are on the menu for breakfast, before 270 km of special stage for the bikes and quads and 208 km for the cars and trucks. The rally will be hitting the heights (almost 3000 metres in altitude on two occasions), in geographical and sporting terms… but with breakdown a constant threat.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Distances:
    Liaison: Cars 291km/181miles ,Bikes 291km/181miles ,Trucks 291km/181miles
    Special Stage: Cars 208km/129miles ,Bikes 270km/181miles ,Trucks 208km/129miles

Tracking link: http://gaps.dakar.com/2012/dakar/stage-03/aso/ukie.php

2. BoothPacific Films

BoothPacific Films Well-Known Member

the french translated into english press releases are whack.

3. fishd00d

fishd00d What A Joke

From Twitter it looks like the cars will start around 5:18AM PST..

"Stage 3 start times for the special section: Nasser Al Attiyah begins at 10:18am/et & Robby Gordon begins at 10:24am/et"

4. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

7:18 and 7:24... Awesome. I should be pulling up to my desk at work just then.

5. woundedyak

woundedyak Mammals fear me

Potholes and rocks eh? only 180miles. leaving 7min apart. If Nasser takes off, does Robby try to slow the rest of the field down? Does Robby catch Nasser and those two battle it out? Sounds like the Hummers might have an edge on the mini's in the washes and "pothole" sections. I just wish you could stream in car live. I would pay good money for that subscription.

6. Offspring

Offspring Well-Known Member

Posts by PR state car distance is only 208km not the 291 the bikes will do. RG WILLLget the mc book again. :)

7. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

Pedal to the metal yak... That's how this is won.

8. bufeo

bufeo Well-Known Member

:rolleyes:
    Then read them in French. :rolleyes:

Allen R

9. jkblaze

jkblaze New Member

Thanks for the update! This forum is awesome for keeping track of the race.

10. BoothPacific Films

Il était une fois, je pouvais lire le français beaucoup mieux. Je peux obtenir les rudiments avec les Français, mais j'ai besoin de l'anglais pour obtenir tous les détails. Il ya toujours eu quelque chose d'étrange au sujet de la version anglaise de communiqués de presse d'ASO. Je sais que je suis difficile et doit être heureux, ils traduisent pour nous.

basically this says, in 2nd grade french, that I can't read french very well anymore and need the english to confirm the details of what happened. and I am admittedly being difficult.

11. BoothPacific Films

My panties are still in a wad because I spent years learning french and when I finally got there all I got was blank stares or Je ne comprends pas. They cut you absolutely NO slack when it comes to their language. There is no A for effort in France. My french accent is bad but not that bad and I have yet to find willing conversation in France. I used to be able to think in French but just can't say the words well enough for anybody to want to respond. I made some friends in Biarritz and even they won't converse en francais avec moi. I guess I throw little jabs at them every chance I get and cut them no slack when it comes to flowery english translation. Kinda childish from a bitter french student. At least there is Tahiti, so not a total waste.

Just for the record i really like France. Great beach culture, you can't get lost and they put on a hell of an off-road race.

I'm done, on with it.

12. Ferrari333SP

Ferrari333SP Well-Known Member

Drinking my first Speed Energy drink in over a year this morning at work(bought three cans from Menards yesterday, one of each flavor); may it bring RG and Nasser luck for this stage and every following stage.

13. spalind

spalind Well-Known Member

I've yet to see one here in the East...

14. Robert Ollivier

Robert Ollivier Member

For "BoothPacific Film"

Hello from " la grande plage" of Biarritz.

15. Ferrari333SP

Biarritz has a pretty good rugby team; one of my favorite players, an American(Ngwenya), plays for them.

16. Ferrari333SP

I randomly Googled "Speed Energy locations" and came up with this; looks like most GNC stores carry it: http://batchgeo.com/map/b24df700f8d0f8ac135597bd5bd602c3

Or just enter your state here and it should show you where it's available: http://www.speedenergy.com/page/where-to-buy

I'm a big Monster fan, but I have to say Speed Energy has some pretty delicious flavors and delivers a pretty good energy increase. Don't even bother with Red Bull.

17. Ferrari333SP

First section of the stage looks to be pretty fast, which should be an advantage to the Hummers; first 16 bikes have all crossed CP1 pretty close to each other. Despres, followed by Coma and then Faria at the moment in the bikes.

18. Ferrari333SP

Cody currently in 10th at CP1, 1:44 behind Despres.

19. kaw500

kaw500 Well-Known Member

20. Ferrari333SP

Cody up to 4th, 3:24 back at CP2.