1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Dakar 2012 - Stage 4 - San Juan > Chilecito

Discussion in 'Rally Raid' started by klaus, Jan 3, 2012.

1. klaus

klaus Administrator

The most experienced drivers will be able to enjoy counting the dried-up rivers that they will cross during the day. They will also have time to admire the spectacular canyons of the Province of Rioja, but it is in their best interest to remain extremely vigilant. Nobody will be able to keep up a steady pace during the special stage. Whether it be the navigational subtleties at the end of the route or the small hurdles to overcome, there will be many occasions to lose time here. It is likely that once the rally has reached Chilecito, one or two of the competitors will have already been eliminated from the battle for the title !

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Distances:
    Liaison: Cars 424km/263miles ,Bikes 424km/263miles ,Trucks 424km/263miles
    Special Stage: Cars 326km/203miles ,Bikes 326km/203miles ,Trucks 326km/203miles

Schedule:
    Bikes: 05:30 local time -
    Cars: 07:16 local time -

Tracking link: http://gaps.dakar.com/2012/dakar/stage-04/aso/ukie.php

2. Ferrari333SP

Ferrari333SP Well-Known Member

Can't tell if this suits the Hummers or not; more of what they experienced today?

3. bufeo

bufeo Well-Known Member

Hey guys, I'm going to be on the road tomorrow...down 93, 6, and 395 to Lone Pine, CA. I want this to be a CliffsNotes version when I check in tomorrow night.

No, I don't do Smart Phones. I'm not smart enough. Anyway, connections through northern NV??? You wish.

Good luck to the Hummers and especially better luck to #308.

Allen R

4. Offspring

Offspring Well-Known Member

Safe travels

5. bufeo

bufeo Well-Known Member

Many thanks for that. I'm off now to finish loading the truck.

Allen R

6. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

This stage will be the same as today as far as reduced power for the Hummers in the first 3rd of the stage. However the terrain is much rougher transitioned with some very fast sections down in the valleys. The top speed should be good for Robby. It's also a great place to blow a turn or two. NAV better be good.

7. stevef

stevef Member

I just saw an interview and Nasser said he is still on the tires he started the rally on? how long can you run on them until he starts to lose performance?

8. Yumaoffroad

Yumaoffroad Member

RG did not bring enough tires

9. Big Hock

Big Hock Bababooey!!!

Just FedEx some friggin tires down there already. Lol.

10. Offspring

Offspring Well-Known Member

He's got a few miles on Toyos, I think they're okay.

11. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

No parts can be delivered. Otherwise they would have the same UPS truck show up at every special and do service out of a Lambo. LOL

12. RYAN COHEE

RYAN COHEE Well-Known Member

Hmmmm Toyo is one both cars and every chase truck.."REALLY"...I,M calling bs on the lack of tires....So now the whole world knows that TOYOS rock anywhere!!!"PR" media..They change the rears every stage.

13. Yumaoffroad

Yumaoffroad Member

seriously why can't toyo fly them tires already

14. manicmechanic

manicmechanic Active Member

Wow loose Dakar because you ran out of your sponsors tires!. That would be the mother of all blunders. Toyo would be scraping off their stickers and tearing patches off suits.
    And perhaps a little Hara Kihi.

15. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

No big deal... Fronts on the back and backs on the front. Chase truck has a few too. Each car has a few spares

16. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

Hey no inflation issues... Maybe leave not broke not fixed.... LOL

17. NIKAL

NIKAL Well-Known Member

From what I read on PR is that they are being conservation until the second service truck shows up. The first support truck was shipping in Nov prior to Nasser signing his RGM deal. At that point RGM prepared the second service truck and shipped it early Dec. It should have been at the start of the race, but it got held in customs. They expect to have it in the next day or so. But until then they are running both trucks and spares out of the one support truck that was originally for RG's Hummer. I think this might also why we have heard Robby and Nasser talk about taking it easy and not pushing it so far. Who knows this might be a blessing as this has caused them to think big picture.

18. FlyHiFlyLo

FlyHiFlyLo Ace Mechanic

Since stage 2 is old news here is The Punks video from stage 2... After stage 1 he was beat. I love how he gets more than just racing captured. He always gets the enviroment too.

[video=youtube;PqnSsnDjQJI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqnSsnDjQJI&list=UU2M6-yPCk13GxPu9V1vi8Ww&index=1&feature=plcp[/video]

19. lil manny

lil manny Member

Loved the go pro footage at the end of that video! It looks like baja without as many drunks on the side of the road!

20. JGled

JGled Member

I agree with just being conservative on the tire issue. Plenty of tires available but only if the 2nd truck shows. If the 2nd truck doesn't show, he still needs to finish. Check this video for the number of tires on top of the support truck...

[video]http://youtu.be/s8lap6NI7Tw[/video]

Nasser is just used to a brand new set every day, watching him say what he did about being on the original tires leads me to believe he's not used to sparing any risk or expense to win.

If it makes you feel better...just remember that the first victory for Lowe's in a Nascar race was on scuffed tires. Can anyone name the driver?

(+1) 1 person likes this.