1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Diesel Fuel in Baja for new Power Strokes ???

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by masleca, Oct 22, 2009.

1. masleca

masleca Member

Hey, I have a 2010 F-350 with the 6.4L PowerStroke Diesel and I am planning to go to Baja 1000. My dealer keeps telling horror stories like, "just 1 tank of Pemex diesel and your motor is junk" and saying that the warranty voided immediately. Surely, you can't tell me that everyone who has driven their new Ford in Mexico has a blown engine now !! Can anyone enlighten me or give me a better idea than carrying 150 gallons of fuel around with me ??

2. Wendell #527

Wendell #527 Well-Known Member

I had 3 diesel trucks chasing for me at last years Baja 500 and they all got fuel there several times and no problems. One of them is a 2008 PowerStroke. Other chasers had gas vehicles, and we did get some bad gas in Valle de Trinadad, but no bad diesel. That's just my experience. I'm sure there are instances where there is bad diesel, though.

3. Tipracer

Tipracer Well-Known Member

wasnt there a thread on this last year?

4. Ol' Curmudgeon

Ol' Curmudgeon RDC's resident crackpot

Yes, but inconclusive like so many others.

5. Sparky

Sparky Active Member

There is some **speculation** that the higher sulfur content **MAY** have an effect on the DPF or cat-converter, but I haven't seen any real life proof to back this up. Simple fact is that the higher sulfur content will not hurt the motor itself, so go find another dealer because your current one is an idiot. I have heard that Mexico actually has tighter restrictions on their diesel production than their gasoline production so you are much less likely to get any "bad" or contaminated diesel than gasoline.

If you are worried about it, pull the DPF and cat (in Mexico only, as this would be a federal offense in the US) and get a modified tune that disables the DPF regen cycle.

6. JEFFRPM

JEFFRPM Non Sugar Coated

Any diesel power over the road built vehicle produced AFTER 07/07 That uses Large amounts of high or low sulfer diesel will plug your EGR cooler and cause the particulate regeneration to happen more often. Big deal If you do alot of short trips you will have these same issues anyway this is why they say drive it like you STOLE IT this driving style WILL keep the EGR,turbo etc alot cleaner. these fuels WILL NOT hurt injectors.pumps.engine etc but water will so be sure of the quality fuel your getting. An easy fix is install a Racor fuel filter as close to the tank as possible they have a clear bowl you can see the water BEFORE it gets to the motor.

7. C.J. Hutchins

C.J. Hutchins Active Member

Seeing as how no one knows the answer to this, I say you do a study on it. Run pemex diesel the entire time and let all of us know what happened. We have been going to Baja for many years now and we have never got bad diesel down there, not to say it doesn't exists, we have just never ran into. But anyway let us know if your truck quits, so we can all know once and for all if we can run high sulfur diesel fuel in these new low sulfur fuel sucking pigs our government is calling diesels.

8. jacko619

jacko619 Member

My brother in law in San felipe owns a PEMEX, he told me when PEMEX doesnt have diesel they buy it from the US.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  9. Sic_Racing

Sic_Racing Member

Our 08 powerstroke has solely ran on PEMEX DIESEL for about 2 years now w/ 55,000 miles and have NEVER had a problem. I think that if you guys have a couple of trips down to Baja nothing is going to happen, I dont know why people always THINK that mexico has the Sh!tiest fuel of the world. GUYS THEY HAVE BMW's and Mercedes Benz in mexico too!! and yes fords and chevys that run on the regular green mix (unleaded) !

10. Sic_Racing

Sic_Racing Member

True!

11. BSchlimme

BSchlimme Member

All of this is inconclusive unless you have a mobile fuel analyzer to check what your pumping.

I have sat in meetings with senior ranking PEMEX officials in Mexico City and asked them regarding the regional differences for their diesel fuel. Now this was several years ago as ULSD was coming to market in the US on a phase in schedule. And I'll be the first to state that what is said and what really happens in Mexico can be 2 distinctly different outcomes.

Their response was that all the "Northern" towns of Baja and Mexico(Frontier zone) use US spec diesel, that being ULSD. and like what Jacko619 states they frequently use US refineries to refine their crude for both diesel and gas.

Now I don't know if I would want to pull diesel out of the back of the guys trailer in Catavina and stick it in my modern diesel pickup but if your out I'd probably roll the dice.

Personally I really wouldn't worry about it. Try to fuel up North, in larger cities, and if you have to pump a tank in Southern Baja so be it. 1 tank is not likely to cause any damage if it is LSD and/or not contaminated.

12. C.J. Hutchins

C.J. Hutchins Active Member

I don't think people are saying that. I put we have never had a problem with fuel down there. This was more about the new low sulfur engines running regular diesel. But good to know your truck is running fine, I guess this puts an end to this?? anyone know about the new chevys and dodges, I'd assume they would be ok too???

13. OR2BAJA

OR2BAJA Member

I have the new 6.7l ctd with all of my emissions junk intact and I have many of miles on pemex diesel and have never had the slightest issue! I was really sketchy on going south but once I was on my second or third tank in a row I was good to go!!! Pemex is not bad all around! I lived in BCS for 8 years and we never had a fuel related issue! and this was back in '90. And yeas mexico has all the nice cars now that we have in the US. Go enjoy baja with your new rig and let the stress not be your truck but your safe return. Viva los tacos de camaron!!!

14. BajaboundMoto

BajaboundMoto Active Member

Diesel up at large locations, no worry at all, anyplace up North or Sur. Like Ben said, try to avoid the shacks/small stations (easy to do in the Ford, not so easy to do in my Chevy with tiny tank).

15. BoothPacific Films

BoothPacific Films Well-Known Member

i've heard the same thing about northern Baja getting it's fuel from the US and it being the new ultra low stuff. if your worried about quality go to one of the newer Pemex stations because they are less likely to have ground water contaminating their tanks. Catavina, i wouldn't do it. one of the good things about diesel is that you don't have to stop as much.

16. No problems @ BCS what so ever with my Ram 2500 / 6.7 Cummins, friend has Duramax and also fine.

17. egert

egert Member

The first problem is you bought a new diesel. I hope you have alot of money to put diesel in it and you will have no power. good luck with that piece of sh!! ford.

18. Chase 2

Chase 2 Well-Known Member

Before buying my Duramax, I did a bunch of research trying to find availability of ULSD in Baja a couple of years ago (when we ran the 1000 to Cabo). At the time, ULSD was served at ALL of the Pemex stations (that sold diesel) as far south as El Rosario. Not one chase truck had any problems supporting pre-running or racing all the way down, and that was a couple years ago. From what I've heard is that running LSD vs ULSD only causes more frequent re-gens which tend to be a bit smokey, but otherwise no issues.

19. Demp

Demp #mikesson

DANG dude! Why such a hater against Ford? We have an 08 SuperDuty and we've only had a few problems, but hey we still ove the truck! Please name one brand or type of vehicle that DOESN'T have problems!?

20. CRITTER

CRITTER Member

Yes more frequent regens and more fuel consumption if you are running lsd vs ulsd. As far as killing the engine not going to happen unless you get bad fuel. when I say bad fuel I mean water/dirt contamination etc... This happens in the states from time to time.
    And generally it wont hurt your engine just the fuel system (injectors,high pressure pump etc...)