Does anyone remember SODA Off-Road Racing?

Discussion in 'Video Games & R/C Models' started by Big Hock, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Big Hock

Big Hock Bababooey!!!

The game, obviously. It must be at least 10 years old at this point, but I still play it on a regular basis. No other game has come close to being a realistic off-road racing game, hell, it makes 1nsane(which I love) feel like Cruisn'USA. I'm still making tracks on my laptop(desktop is too fast), and if anyone wants to share, let me know. Online play is impossible nowadays, but we can still compare laptimes. If you've never heard of the game, I highly recommend hunting it down, maybe it's on Ebay, maybe not, but I'd like to hear from you guys about it.
  2. WoodyW

WoodyW Member

That game is great...I've upgraded computers probably 6 times in the time that I've owned SODA, and I kep on loading it back up. I always liked the fact that the pro4's were Leduc's cherokee.
  3. stuckthrottle

stuckthrottle Godlike

I remember paying full price at wall mart. Something like 50 or 60 bucks for it. I loved it and shared it with all my friends. Eventually I just got tired of it. It was way rad.
  4. gary

gary Active Member

i still play it all the time too. especially after watching CORR on speedvison. :) about a year ago, i was able to race online against my pops, who i also got hooked. it might still work....i couldn't initiate a race, because of my firewall, but pop's firewall-less computer could start a race. then i joined his. make sense?
  5. Big Hock

Big Hock Bababooey!!!

Do any of you guys still make tracks? I've got a couple I've made recently that turned out pretty fun. I try to make realistic tracks as opposed to just a lot of huge jumps.
  6. rkracing

rkracing Well-Known Member

heres a screenshot from the game
    and a track I made that i liked
    unzip it, open the src file on track designer and generate it

Attached Files:

7. prerunner1499

prerunner1499 Active Member

Ok now how does one get a copy of that game???????? I would LOVE to have one!
    Can someone burn them :)
  8. rkracing

9. Big Hock

Big Hock Bababooey!!!

Here's my most recent track, it's pretty technical and will send you flying sideways alot.

Attached Files:

10. Big Hock

Big Hock Bababooey!!!

Also, here's my version of Terrible's Cup 1 from last July. For .tpk files, you have to go into exchange/remove tracks in the track designer, and then "Import". If import isn't lit up, you have the max amount of tracks installed and will have to delete one.

Attached Files:

11. stretch104

stretch104 Member

i just downloaded that game and damn the 2wd trucks are so hard to drive. i had to turn it down to 400hp so that i could handle it, if you turn it up to 800hp all it does is spin.
  12. blazersracing

blazersracing Member

I have recently made this quick version of Glen Helen. Its not precise but still fun. I also have a Chula Vista track and a short Laughlin course.

Attached Files:

13. Big Hock

Big Hock Bababooey!!!

Stretch, it will take awhile to get used to the 2wd with 800hp, but once you do, they're awesome. It's definetely not an arcade style game, that's for sure.

Blaze, I'd like to check those tracks out, keep em coming, I've got tons more myself I'll be posting.
  14. blazersracing

blazersracing Member

here is the Chula Vista Raceway that I briefly designed. I dont spend much time on the environment, so it isnt the most detailed track. enjoy

Attached Files:

15. Big Hock

Big Hock Bababooey!!!

Here's Burmshot, an original track of mine. Very highspeed, 80mph avg. speed.

Attached Files:

16. stretch104

stretch104 Member

seriously even on like 400hp it spins like 1 2 and 3. are there any tricks or good setups to get the thing to hook, on 800hp its just flat out impossible to drive it seems. i've played alot of realistic games and this has to be the hardest yet. i like it i just wish i could figure it out.
  17. gary

gary Active Member

are you using a keyboard or a controller? it's pretty much impossible with a keyboard, i've found. i think i spent $9 on a playsation style controller for the pc at target. still use it after 5 yrs or so....

for setup, i generally run the shocks hard, the springs soft, add a little negative camber, and the right tire for the surface is also important (deep tread=mud, shallow=gravel, and medium=dirt. i have the book for this game, and that's what it recommends, based on grip characteristics of each type). 800 hp 2wd takes some practice, but it's more fun that the 4wd to me, just becasue it slides better...but it's also about 3 secs a lap slower than the 800 hp 4wd. i hate the buggies, because they fall apart too easy. they bottom out over everything, it seems....

i'll post up a couple of my tracks here on tuesday, when i get some time (my day off).

here's a question...how do you do screen captures on this game? all i get is a black screen with the "dashboard" stuff across the bottom....
  18. Big Hock

Big Hock Bababooey!!!

Was going to ask what kind controller you're using but Gary beat me to it. :) The game just straight up can't be played on keyboard. I use a controller with analog sticks, and I use the right side stick for throttle/brakes, that way you can control how much throttle you're giving it instead of just full or none.
  19. rkracing

I just click on Prt Screen on the top right corner of my keyboard, go to microsoft paint and paste there and the screenshot comes out.
  20. stretch104

stretch104 Member

yeah i'm on the keyboard no wonder