1. Forum membership has its advantages....

ELITE early Bronco build

Discussion in 'Shop - Show & Tell' started by Race Whore, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Race Whore

Race Whore Member

I bought a 1970 Bronco over a year ago, and this project has escalated out of control. I am building it to be similar to the early race Bronco's (i.e. Crazy Colt, Big Oly), except with modern day technology. Custom built by Elite Auto Service

For starters; TLR shackles and brackets / 5.0 Roller Cobra engine/ Powder One powder coating/ Mastercraft safety prod./ Custom Bronco parts by Wild Horses/ Competitive Metals/M.I.T. drivetrain/ Valley Transmission Custom Trans.

Much more to come....

2. Race Whore

Race Whore Member

3. Race Whore

Race Whore Member

First off, was the body work. We fixed all of the dents and welded every bolt hole from 40 yrs. of accessories. Shaved the door handles. Cut the door frames off and welded the window slot shut (there will be no side windows). Customized the windshield frame to allow for a smaller window. These things resemble the retro race look. Then pulled the body off, for more work.

We sent the chassis to TLR Racing for Tim’s custom radius arm brackets with uniballs. Relocated the spring hangers, custom shackles, trac-rods, and reinforced transmission brackets. Reinforced the frame for the HOWE p/s steering box.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. ErikShallbetter

ErikShallbetter Active Member

Cool project for sure! I love old Broncos. The plate work and the welding look really good. Keep us posted!

5. Dezertpilot

Dezertpilot Well-Known Member

Super cool, def look forward to this build. Please keep us updated! Never seen those uniball radius arms before, how do they compare to heims?

6. PDANK Racing

PDANK Racing Active Member

Great job so far, definitely going to be a fun rig. Always been a bronco fan, especially the early ones.(except for the II, still trying to forget that POS)
    Keep the pics coming.

7. Race Whore

Race Whore Member

A uniball or heim rod end are basically the same in function, just mount differently. These work well in allowing the front end to drop out, but slide right onto a stock radius arm.

8. ntsqd

ntsqd Active Member

I worry that the thrust load capability of an SRE used in that orientation may not be up to the job. The direction that the loads are applied is not the same as with when those are used in a SLA front suspension as the upper or lower ball joints. In this orientation every bump the front tires hit will be driving the balls backwards out of the races, and the races backwards out of the pockets. Far less than an ideal loading. I guess we'll see how well they work that way, I've over-estimated the loads before.

9. Race Whore

Race Whore Member

We and many others have been using them for 15 years of racing and prerunning. Closely check a I beam Stock Full and you may see them hidden in there. They can take the load for years. I know what you saying, but they are very durable and cycle well.

10. Scott_F

Scott_F Active Member

Tom, haven't seen you post in years. I agree with you. At the very least the cup should have been reversed so the loads are not on the snap rings. But if it works it works.

11. Race Whore

Race Whore Member

Simple, you weld a boss on the back side to support the uni-ball. The boss supports the load. The snap ring is on the front.

12. Racerinside

Racerinside Member

Uniball will be fine for the radius arm brackets, remember the stock bracket is an 1/8th in. thick stamped metal with over sized hole and rubber bushings. If a class 7s truck can make them last a prerunner will have no problem with them.

13. Race Whore

Race Whore Member

Next the frame was powder coated by Powder One.
    Custom Dana 44 by M.I.T. Drivetrain with locker, 5/8 wheel studs and f-150 knuckles
    5.0 Cobra motor built by Raymond @ master Cylinder Head Services of El Cajon. Includes roller Schneider cam, forged pistons, ARP bolts, and head work for better power. Polished Edlebrock intake

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Scott_F

Scott_F Active Member

Sorry, I thought it looked like it was in the rear. The pic is a little fuzzy.

15. BRINGTHERUCKUS

BRINGTHERUCKUS Nimrod de PMC

WHAT!? those cheating bastards!

16. yellowranger1

yellowranger1 Member

I don't post on here much, but as an EB owner myself (stock/uncut '73) this is currently one of my favorite builds. Have you posted this on any of the EB forums? The work looks top notch, I'll be tearing mine down in the next month or two for a frame off, so I'll be referencing your thread for tips and inspiration. Keep up the good work and keep us posted! Good luck with the rest of the build!

- Eddie

17. ntsqd

ntsqd Active Member

Keep in mind that the stock bracket wasn't expected to survive the kinds of loadings that vehicles on this forum see, and that with the rubber in there that it had some degree of shock protection. Kind of the difference between hitting it with a 2 lbs sledge vs. hitting it with a rubber mallet.

Speaking of the rubber strut bushes, the only Stock Full that I've spent any time around very successfully used the stock rubber bushings. It never DNF'd because of the stock rubber bushes, but it did DNF due to those bushings every time that they tried to use urethane.

As I previously posted, I've over estimated the loadings in the past, but this orientation is the least strong way to use an SB, even if the pocket does back up the race.
    But enough about that, back to what promises to be an interesting build of an Early Bronco.

18. Ocotillo Explorer

Ocotillo Explorer Member

Look again. That is not the stock bracket for the radius arms. Those brackets are very strong. )The stock ones are smaller than a baseball). By the way its an early Bronco, not a trophy truck. This Bronco will be awesome.

19. DirtWorshiper

DirtWorshiper Member

Great looking build. I wish my EB looked half as good.

20. LIMITLESS

LIMITLESS Member

John, Cool build, im looking forward to finished product!!!