F/S 1972 Funco SS1 and 1982 Funco SS1

Discussion in 'Vintage Racing' started by West Coast Mags, Jul 17, 2011.

1. West Coast Mags

West Coast Mags New Member

I am offering up for sale my pair of vintage Funco SS1 buggys, each of which is a time capsule to its period in racing. If you are wanting to get into vintage class racing or are just looking to start your own Baja Racing Museum either of these cars would be excellent additions. Either should be enterable in the Norra Mexican 1000 ralley event as is.

The red buggy is what we believe to be a 1972 Funco SS1 it has a single port 1600 and 3 rib bus trans, runs and drives great. We were told it was a 1972 by the person we purchased it from and there is lots to support that time frame. It has the dual aluminum side fuel tanks which were prohibited by racing organizations in 1980. Many cars were changed to the rear tank, but this one was parked and remains exactly as raced in the 1970’s. The front Sandblaster Jr tires look brand new and are date coded March of 1971, the motor is a 1970 according to the numbers, the Simpson harnessed are date stamped 1976. The rear Yokohama Super Diggers are in decent shape and the buggy looks like a true time machine. Current California title.

The white buggy is what we were told and believe to be a 1982 Funco SS1 and until two years ago was still competing in 1600 1 / 2 racing. It has Fox phoenix shocks all around and we contacted Fox and they said the shocks were built in 1982. This car is pretty much ready to go, parker pumper, UMP air filters, wired etc. Runs, drives and races fine.

Both vehicles are currently located in Chino Valley, Arizona, they are priced at $5,000 each and we would make a package deal on both. Email me at [email protected] Thanks

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2011
  2. harleys dad

harleys dad Well-Known Member

didnt you just buy the white one for under half that amount?
  3. Sandscorcher

Sandscorcher Member

Wow...nice Funco's!!!:cool:

Cheers!
  4. West Coast Mags

On the white buggy when I got it was far from being in reliable and running condition, it had been been sitting for quite some time, so I did have some work in making it reliable. The fellow really didn't have an idea what he had, I paid his asking price, put some work in, and have listed it for what I believe to be a fair price comparable with sales of similar cars that I have seen so far this year. I wish I could keep them both, I had planned to start a collection of the vintage stuff, but life changes and you have to go in different directions. In all fairness to the cars they are deserving of someone that will actually put them to use and get them out in the eyes of the public at events, rather than just sitting parked in my building.
  5. LJ Kennedy

LJ Kennedy Member

I was going to buy the white one from the other guy but you grabbed it before i could . That car was one of my dads old cars would have been cool to have but can't afford to spend that kind of money. I thought the 2500.00 was a little much.
    If you can't sell it let me know lets see what we can work out.
  6. West Coast Mags

Thanks LJ, wish there was a way that the car could be reunited with your dad if it was indeed one of his old cars, unfortunatley economics is now a part of all forms of motorsports these days. I almost bought a third one that was just about identical to the white buggy, same time period correct 80-82ish, at the Curt Leduc swap meet but right as I walked up there two other fellows did also and the asking price went from $5500 to $9k in a matter of minutes and I had to bow out of the bidding. Username: Palletman has a pair of similar vintage buggies also for sale on this forum, we had conversated a few times about them a few months back and he is pretty firm at $10k each. Obviously for a growing number of people offroad racing is the last true-to-nature racing program out there, where you can get up close and personal, run with limited restrictions and interference, and wager man against machine in a challenging environment with limited outside interference. Unlike say NASCAR or the NHRA where you pay $100 for a ticket just to get in the stadium, then another $50 for the privilidge of standing behind a rope in the pits 50 feet from the cars. As the audience and interest continues to grow for the sport, the early cars that have survived "as they were" will grow in interest as well, just as similar motorsports have. Fortunately there has been a growing community who also use the cars as intended also, which is what I hope to find for these cars, due to my current obligations, I just won't be able to offer them anything more than collecting dust in my building.
  7. West Coast Mags

**** I need to make some room in the shop, will consider offers on the cars either one or both. May consider full or partial trades. ****
  8. LJ Kennedy

LJ Kennedy Member

What kind of a price are you thinking for the white one ?
  9. West Coast Mags

What timing - the white buggy just sold this week and is on its way back to California! The fellow that bought it has a number of VW powered race cars so it looks to be going to a good home.
  10. LJ Kennedy

LJ Kennedy Member

Do you by chance know who bought it? would like to go see it and see if he would like any history on it.