1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Favorite Races From Back in The Day

Discussion in 'Vintage Racing' started by #75race, Jan 31, 2011.

1. #75race

#75race Member

Okay, first off, for those who were around at the time, what were some of your favorite races of time-past? (I know what you may be thinking, but trust me, I'm not poking as some your guy's age. :rolleyes:)Whether it was driving/riding, or just there to watch, it would be cool if you all could share your experiences with the rest of us. As for some of the younger guys out there like me, if you could drive in or spectate any old race, which one would it be?

If I had to choose, I would've loved to race in, or even just watch one of the old Mint 400 races, or really just any old Barstow race like the California 400 or Firecracker 250. Heck, I wouldn't mind checking out some old La Rana races either. :)

How about the rest of you?

2. JEFFRPM

JEFFRPM Non Sugar Coated

Frontier 500 was alot of fun before the BLM every town town you went through treated you like a king and you could chase it from anywhere just like mexico. Fireworks 250 was a good race if you could stand the heat The MINT 400 is just as good now as it was in the past except spectating/chasing sucks [thank you BLM] but the tech being back on fremont street will always be my favorite.

3. #75race

#75race Member

Right. Come to think of it, and not to sound like a noob or anything, but what exactly was the difference between the Firecracker 250 and the Fireworks 250? I assume they were different promoters, but were they both held in Barstow?

4. Lifeflight

Lifeflight Active Member

Walt Lott with WRA and HDRA ran the Barstow races. In 1986 SCORE and HDRA joint series for 1 Big series.
    As far as my Farvorite race, it was racing Parker with the California Loop and 2 Arizona Loops.

5. Fandango

Fandango Member

Can't recall a Firecracker desert race. The 400 was Nascar. The '85 Fireworks was my first desert race and the '97 Jackpot was the best. Both were favorites. Back then spectating was almost as fun as racing and a good reason for a road trip.

6. Bro_Gill

Bro_Gill Well-Known Member

For Barstow, the Fireworks races were cool when they weren't 128 degrees, but the old Soutars 250 was the HDRA December race at Barstow and was great. Parties at Tom and Bev's house with the Parkers, Norm and Smitty, etc... Great weather and even rain sometimes. Course would go almost all the way down to Apple Valley. For a small race, you really couldn't beat the VORRA Virginia City 200 race. Racing through town on the main streets and all you can eat ribs at the Bucket of Blood Saloon. And any Baja 1000 prior to 1990. The vide was different then, still small family feel, even in tech. We would sleep in a tent onth et=grass in front of the 3 heads. Could never pull that off now.

7. OldStroppeTeam

OldStroppeTeam Well-Known Member

First "official"ace was the 72 Fireworks 250. I was working at West End Mobil in Barstow. A guy brought in some buggy tires to see if we would change them, because the tire shops said they were "race tires" and they wouldn't do them. My buddy and I didn't see any difference between Jackman wheels and stock steel wheels, so we changed them. We charged the guy what we had posted at the station. He was amazed ! He invited us out to help pit his car, THE BOUNTY HUNTER. I think his name was Erwin (maybe Irwin) Porter, I think he was a banker from Simi Valley.. I helped him out every year,(all 2) until I went off to college.....I still like races in Barstow...

8. JEFFRPM

JEFFRPM Non Sugar Coated

Let us not forget RIVERSIDE that race was the best race PERIOD. I was their at the last one in 1988 never to happen again. Hey Lucas you guys brought back the mint how about this one at the vegas speedway?

9. JEFFRPM

JEFFRPM Non Sugar Coated

I guess we have a winner? nobody seems to disagree Or was this to long ago for some of you Gawd I'm old.

10. DEZERTBOUND

DEZERTBOUND Active Member

11. yetiride

yetiride New Member

Definately the MInt 400 and Fireworks 250. Warm weather always means bikini weather if ya know what I mean. Parker was always a blast but ya never knew with the temps.

12. wheeli

wheeli Funny Guy from the North, eh

Ive raced somthing or another for the past 35 years but ive never ever experienced anything like the score offroad world championships at riverside.I raced there in 86/87/88,flying down those off camber hill sides at 75 mph is somthing that will stay with me forever.They would get somthing like 100k people there for the weekend,people would build scaffolding in the campground sixty ft tall to catch all the action from the landrush start to 4 wide racing between greats such as the mears gang ,unsers,mickey RG and evans,halls just to name a few.About every 30 sec a water balloon would get launched out of the campground from some homemade catapult slingshot style heading east towards the bikini clad crowd along the pit fence,they were going about 300ft a sec and you would hear the screams when someone would score a hit.At night when the buggies were finished being preped we would get on the mini bikes a head to the campground to party with cali's finest.The rock&roll was loud the bikini's were extreme,the memories are forever

13. harleys dad

harleys dad Well-Known Member

I have a few actually, First off Riverside, I got to race at Night in class 11s first ever race for Stock Vw sedans in our family sedan!, the next absolutely is Saddleback Park, took part in the first race in 1976, raced class 11 cars, the race was called Baja-De-Saddleback put on by Autohaus on a 7-8 mile course, in 78 I started racing 5/1600 cars there that were way faster than any 5/1600 of today because the engine rules allowed you to reach 1600cc anyway you wanted! met my wife threw a friend who was there for the very first time in 1982 when it was called Baja Cross put on by Rich Kimble and 3rd is the GENUINE MINT 400 where I raced for the first time in 1976. I have raced in Crandon Wisconsin a few times and which was really cool the first 2 times as I was the first California racer to go to Crandon in the late 80s and they treated us fantastic but the last time I went in 97 it was a whole different show, success had gone to all there heads and it was not anywhere close to what it was.

14. MALABANAN

MALABANAN Active Member

RIVERSIDE!!! Parnelli Jones gets tied up with a buggy, all cars go around the two. PJ backs up and continually rams the buggy. The grandstands throws beer cans and debri at PJ...The next day the front of The Union Tribune San Diego says "PJ Pelted by Beer Cans." That is something I will never forget...

15. Rory

Rory Crayola Killer

That was the race PJ got Banned from SCORE by Mickey Thompson (then SCORE race promoter). I talked with Parnelli about that at the NORRA race......guess everyone missed the fact that it was a 2 row start. Before the green flag the guy in the second row jumps the start and gets stuck under Parnelli's Blazer......everyone else is GONE. Finally gets unhooked, buggy driver has the balls to take off in front of Parnelli (after ruining any chance of winning) and Parnelli did some old fashioned "Race track payback". All anyone ever saw was Parnelli getting into the buggy, never saw WHY! Classic story, Parnelli was FURIOUS when he told us that story from 30+ years ago....LMAO.

16. oldman dirt

oldman dirt Well-Known Member

Old Parker with "thunder alley", and two AZ loops, circa 1985 and the SNOW STORM of the decade________
    then Riverside for sure, the water ballon fights from across Thompsons Ridge, the epic battles between LeDuc in his home built monsters and Walker Evans......
    Anyone remember the S.C.O.R.E. Colorado Race ???? Coors reps handing out cases of beer on the pre run to everyone and the 3000' vertical drop offs---------and the drive to get there..................
    Old BAJA de Saddleback's were also very cool with Marty Letner driving a 2 seater with a roof rack, sitting on the big banks and enjoying the day.

17. HDRA1

HDRA1 The Godfather

i don't think score ever went to colorado i know HDRA had a few there one for sure in craig colorado and the other was in colorado springs colorado those were WRA/HDRA races if my memory serves me right

18. Fandango

Fandango Member

The Craig race was 1987 and I thought it was billed as a Score/HDRA event but not sure. It's easy for me to remember that one because I was BORE's first rollover two weeks before the Craig race.

19. HDRA1

HDRA1 The Godfather

your half right HDRA was the promoter but SCORE/HDRA ran together for points championship only

20. WickedGravityVideo

WickedGravityVideo Well-Known Member

My favorite race was the Colorado West 300... held in the mid-to-late 70s, just outside of Grand Junction, Colorado. Why my fave? because the course was two miles from my home.... rode my Montesa 125 all around the course to spectate and take 35mm slides.