1. Forum membership has its advantages....

Fire Suppression Systems-Coldfire

Discussion in 'Shop - Safety' started by Bajades, Apr 12, 2007.

1. Bajades

Bajades Active Member

I am looking for a fire suppression system for a Class 1 car we are building. Does anyone have recommendations for a particular system? Does anyone have any experience with the "Cold Fire" vehicle systems. Its seems to have some definite advantages over halon, but I don't have any experience with it.
    (http://coldfiresupersystems.com/inde...13&Itemi d=27)

2. Superfab

Superfab Member

I personally dont think that the coldfire system works as well as the halon systems. They are a wet soapy agent. I still prefer the firebottle systems brand halon systems.
    Drag racers are stuck with the wet type of fire systems and they wish they had the good old halon ones. Funny cars tend to light them selves on fire quite a bit .

3. ndvalium

ndvalium Rescue Director

I am sure that everyone will have various opinions and experiences when a question like this comes up. Both systems have their place in my opinion. As a member of the rescue group for SCORE, Best in the Desert and National Sand Drag Association, I have put out numerous race related fires over the years.

We exclusively use Cold Fire or Fire Ade 2000 for one reason. The wetting agent smothers the fire and eliminates flare up of Oil and Fuel Fires. The Halon will put it out, but does not seem to help in flare ups after the fact.

I beleive as almost all Desert Races have accidents or fires typically away from emergency responders, flare up would be key to any fire suppression.

4. AZ45

AZ45 Active Member

It looks like an AFFF system, but I coudn't really tell from the website. There aruments for both Halon and AFFF, but for off road it's hard to argue with AFFF for the reasons
    already mentioned, such as flare ups. We have a very reasonably priced(349.00), high quality system that's user rechargable if necessary.

http://www.upr.com/categories/racewear.asp?id=2213

5. Chris_Wilson

Chris_Wilson Well-Known Member

Halon works by replacing the oxygen and won't work in a open environment in the wind when the wind can blow away the Halon and allow the oxygen to continue to feed the fire. I converted my prerunner's built in flame out system from Halon to ColdFire for this reason.

Supplemental to this I have dry chemical extingushers mounted outside the cockpit on each side where you can quickly grab them after bailing out. Inside the cockpit it's a good idea to have the main battery switch within reach along with another backup extinguisher to grab after hitting the flame out and killing the batteries.

6. AZ45

AZ45 Active Member

Good points Chris.

Another part of the equation is how consistent the stream is after the system is activated. Most pressurized systems will start out at the max and as the system is discharging the pressure is reduced, so the coverage is reduced. The neat thing about the AFFF system we sell is that it uses an external pressure source that will remain at full capacity until all of the chemical has been exhausted.

7. Bajades

Bajades Active Member

I contacted ColdFire to see if there is a difference between it and other AFFF systems. This is what they had to say:

"There are many advantages to ColdFire over AFFF.
    ColdFire is environmentally friendly, AFFF is not
    ColdFire removes the heat immediately from the fire, AFFF doesn't
    ColdFire is not a health hazard, AFFF is

ColdFire is what you want to protect you and your equipment"

Ron Biberstine
    International POD, LLC
    Cold Fire Super Systems
    web: www.coldfiresupersystems.com

Any comments with from those with actual experience with the Coldfire or other systems is appreciated, but it seems that the Coldfire system has some definite advantages over both halon and AFFF.

8. MH20

MH20 Member

Ive been wanting to hear some actual experience with the Coldfire since Chris Wilson mentioned it while back. It seems almost too good to be true in my opinion, but if it works anything like what they claim...it is what I will be using in my prerunner.

9. AZ45

AZ45 Active Member

AFFF is environmentally friendly and not a health hazard. I bet If you check the MSDS for both products, you could see this for yourself. AFFF in concentrated form, could irritate your skin like a degreaser by drawing the oil from it, but it would be no more harmful than that. AFFF is mixed with water from 1 to 6% when used as a fire suppressant.

I think Cold Fire uses an organic an organic protein additive which helps it draw heat from a fire. The additive under pressure like other chemicals will break down over time, so you would probably want to refill/recharge the bottle after a couple of years.
    The system we have is not pressurized until activated, so it will not break down like a pressurized chemical.

I think the goal is to put the fire out, not draw heat from it, so I’m not really sure what that means. I think Cold Fire has a product that is used in welding that will draw heat away from the material for different reasons, so possibly that same product or idea is used for their fire fighting materials.

I’m sure it’s great stuff, and you should buy based on your research for a product that its your needs.

Great thread, it’s nice to see off roaders are starting to understand that when they crash it’s usually not it front of a safety crew.

10. Justin

Justin Member

The biggest problem with the foam type systems is that the foam needs to cover the actual fire meaning more product = bigger tank. A 5lb foam type will not extinguish the same fire as the 5 lb halon system would. Just something to think about.

11. Rprice

Rprice Member

UPS just delivered this to me. it says its the AFF system but i have to charge this thing myself. they sent a Co2 cartridge and the mixture with the instructions. just under $350 delivered

Attached Files:

12. Zambo

Zambo Well-Known Member

I notice these systems come in different sizes. How do you know how big a system to get?

13. AZ45

AZ45 Active Member

YAMAHARDR-You don't have to charge the system, it charges when you activate it it.
    Make sure the nozzles are mounted pinting down so the dirt doesn't build up in them.

The size of the system depends on how many nozzles you want to run and how much space you have.

The bigger the better when your on fire.

14. Zambo

Zambo Well-Known Member

I just ordered your 2.3 lb system. I figure its probably good enough for a stock full truck. Certainly better than what we have now, which is nada!

15. AZ45

AZ45 Active Member

Thanks for the biz..I hope you never use it!

16. Rprice

Rprice Member

I should have read the instructions. i just have to mix the stuff and put it all together. thank you.

17. Zambo

Zambo Well-Known Member

What sort of spray pattern do these nozzles make? I see you suggested pointing the nozzles down to keep 'em clean, will that still direct the foam toward the engine? I guess the instructions will help with that.

18. AZ45

AZ45 Active Member

The nozzles come with ports in different parts of the nozzle, it will be obvious when you look at them. Finding a good spot for them nozzle is mostly a balance of getting max coverage with keeping it out of harm’s way. Don’t mount the driver compartment nozzles on the roof, because when you’re up-side-down they have to spray up to a fire.

The directions pretty good, but call one of the guys at UPR if you need more help.

19. Zambo

Zambo Well-Known Member

Thanks!

20. pjc

pjc Chairman

Chris,

Who sells the Coldfire system?