Fireade 2000 Additive available at SDHQ for the Mint 400

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by ndvalium, Mar 18, 2013.

1. ndvalium

ndvalium Rescue Director

Several people have contacted us over the last 2 weeks on the purchase of FireAde. FireAde is a foam additive that is mixed with 9 quarts of water and put into a 2.5 gallon pressurized water extinguisher. My team and I were originally working on rolling out this product for sale in the fall to racers, crews and others at Tech and Contingency but we received an overwhelming interest from teams this last week and fast tracked our distribution of this great additive.

FireAde will provide a foam product capable of extinguishing nearly all types of fires with biodegradable foam that prevents reigniting and immediately cools whatever is burning. I fell in love with it nearly 10 years ago when we started using it for Drag Racing events.

We have asked SDHQ / Super Duty Head Quarters to sell this on our behalf for the Mint 400. It will be available for purchase for 15.00 a quart. One quart mixed with 9 quarts of water and pressurized to 100 -125 psi, will give you a great foam fire extinguisher. My team and I aren’t getting into this business to make money but 5.00 from every quart will go directly towards our team trying to enhance the rescue equipment that we have available for racers at any of the Best in the Desert, HDRA and numerous Sand Drag races that we do each year. Please visit the SDHQ trailer and not only pick up a great fire fighting product, but help support us continue to help all of you!
    1 person likes this.
  2. nohandslance

nohandslance Active Member

What container do you recommend to mix product and pressurize in?

Thanks.
  3. ndvalium

ndvalium Rescue Director

It is for 2.5 gallon water extinguishers. The old crome style cans that are readily avaialbe on ebay and elswhere for 25 - 50 dollars each. Can buy them new with shipping for 90 bucks....
  4. Tom_Willis

Tom_Willis Well-Known Member

Are water-based extinguishers approved by tech for race vehicles? I asked Art about it, but I don't think he had made a decision (last year). I want 2.5 gal bottles for both my trucks, and one for the house and barn, but I'm still trying to convince the race truck owner to try them.
  5. ndvalium

ndvalium Rescue Director

As these are UL Listed for Class A, B , C , D and F fires once the additive is added, the extinguisher would work on any fire. My concern though Tom on using them on a race vehcile is that they use a plastic pick up tube on these extinguishers. Over time that tube can break much easier than the metal tubes used in a standard Dry Chem or the Haltron extinguishers that dont utilize a pick up tube at all. I think every chase truck, Pit space, every course worker, strategic areas on a race course, or the shop can benefit from this FireAde product though. Not only is it enviorment friendly and easy to clean up but it makes it quick and easy for teams to recharge their own extinguishers on the road if they use them. It also offers a cooling ability for hot parts very quickly. We also in the near future will be offering small aresol type cans for small fires such as carb fires, header fires, or for the crappy welder like me that thinks the stuff next to what he is welding wont catch fire....I ll give u can of that Tom and u can keep it with u in staging!
  6. ScottyA

ScottyA Active Member

If the tube breaks could you just turn it upside down?
  7. ndvalium

ndvalium Rescue Director

Not necessarily - I have had a tube break twice, both times it was a very old extinguisher when I was using Cold Fire, another additive. My experience the Cold Fire made the plastic parts more brittle. When the tube broke, Im sure due to rough handling or getting tossed around in back of my truck, the tube only partilly cracked / and did not sever completely. As a result when inverted, it sucked the air from the top dead space vs the product from the bottom (top) portion of the extinguisher.

I switched to FireAde 10 years ago. I have not had a tube break since and all the seals seem to be in good shape as I service my extinguishers twice a year.
  8. pwerwagn

pwerwagn Active Member

I have 4 of these 2.5 Gal extinguishers, and take at least one nearly everywhere with me.

I got your email about Fireade yesterday...I will be picking up a few quarts from SDHQ this weekend. One question, does the fireade prevent freezing?
  9. Bro_Gill

Bro_Gill Well-Known Member

Are you sure these are rated for class C fires? Not that it matters too much, in the circumstances this should be used (pit fires), but last time I looked, there wasn't a water based extinguisher out there that was rated for energized electrical fires. I also like the marketing, Class F (or K depending on where you are from) is Class B but being sold as a Kitchen type fire extinguishing agent. Not that everyone should not have an extinguisher in their home and car, but I would like to see folks actually KNOW how to use them and not just panic and run from small fires when they start.
  10. tapeworm

tapeworm Active Member

To help people understand the rating systems of fire extinguishers...

Class A is ordinary combustible materials. A.K.A. wood, masonry, fiberglass, rubber, cloth, etc. Your standard everyday items.

Class B is flammable liquids. Gas, diesel, propane, etc. I don't see us running into much more in an offroad environment.

Class C is energized electrical. Nothing you need to worry about in a racecar. There are no water based extinguishing agents approve for this because water and electricity don't mix well.

Class D is combustible metals. Magnesium is probably the one you will think of. It burns hot and fast. The melting point of chromoly is way above anything a race car fire will ever produce in btu's.

Class F/K is commercial kitchen fires. A.K.A. grease. such as lard. I've yet to see a commercial kitchen in a race car or a pit. I know there are food trucks but hey re already equipped with the necessary extinguishing agents.

So what's important is the Class A and B fires. It sounds like this does a good job. You can't put a 2.5 gal PW extinguisher on a racecar though. They are way too big. This should be in every pit though.
  11. frankh

frankh Well-Known Member

That is good info. We have one setup. Have hade it for a few years. Will have to open it up and check the tube. We got it becuase I thought I read on here not only was it good on fires but also if a person was burnt it was good. So we setup one up just for that. Is the new stuff ok for that purpose?

thanks
  12. ndvalium

ndvalium Rescue Director

For Class C, it requires a Compressed air foam at 100% concentrate - So not through a 2.5 gallon it would not be the correct application. Thanks Sir - Good point.

If you are talking for putting a person out if on fire? yes - by all means. If you mean for treatment of a burn. No. It nor ColdFire should ever be used for that form of treatment in anyway. Ever.

As far as freezing, it has a freexe point of 26 degrees. So it does lower it but does not prevent it. If you are working in a place where weather is routinely a problem, we do have the ability to get a -20c version of the product but I do not have that in stock just yet.

Thanks all for the comments and feedback - We hope to just provide another avenue for people to enhance their safety in the pits. We kind of rushed it toegther for the Mint 400 as several people were looking for the product. We hope as racing picks back up in the Fall, we will have a better stock, Literature, and also will be selling the complete extinguishers for those that need them. FireAde also offers a Compresed Air Foam System - CAFS, that we will try have available for teams to see its capabilities as well. Like I said above, we arent looking to get rich at this, as any money we get will simply go towards new tools for our team. We hope to have some newer extrication tools that we never have to use except for training by next year!
  13. frankh

frankh Well-Known Member

Yes ment to put the fire out on a person. But thought it was better then water as it lowers the temp of the burn faster.
  14. ndvalium

ndvalium Rescue Director

It will cool the area quickly but would then immediately be rinsed and transported for debreed and whatever further treatment needs done. Burns suck....lets not need it for that anytime soon....
  15. frankh

frankh Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info
  16. Benchracers

Benchracers Member

Great Post.
    I just received samples of a product that I believe is similar to FireAde. Cold Fire and Nova Cool. I have yet to test either product.
    Having Worked in the fire service for over 35 yrs I'm always looking for the best product.
    Recently are sport has had a few incidents involving fire, and it is apparent that while we spend considerable time and money building prepping and pre-running for races, safety has taken a back seat.
    What I am offering is putting together a one day class that gives racers and crews the opportunity to try different types of safety gear and also give teams the opportunity to participate in live fire drills, that would give them the chance to see first hand how these different fire fighting extinguishers work.
    If this is something that interests you please shoot me a e-mail or give me a call.
    Bob Ericsson 760 728-5441
  17. ndvalium

ndvalium Rescue Director

Let me know when Bob, I will be happy to donate dry chemical extinguishers (expired hydro tests but still charged as I have over 100 of those) and any FireAde product / Extinguishers as well as assistance to the class...May I suggest Contact Jarod with Fast Aid and maybe they can help organize it and teams could donate a small amount to Fast Aid in the process to send team members to...
  18. pwerwagn

pwerwagn Active Member

A class like that would be awesome, for sure. Too bad I dont live in Cali where all this fun happens!!

Anyhow...I picked up some Fireade from the SDHQ trailer and mixed some up and played with it a bit. Cool stuff...I peeled the fireade label off the plastic bottle and put it on my extinguisher, along with a fast aid sticker. I was reading on fireades site about the "2000"...and it says something about 1-6%? We use a foam here at work that we only mix ~2-3%. Is 32oz per 2 gal necessary, or just a precaution?

I am also going to steal your idea and setup an onboard supression system using this stuff. Working out the details but I have some cool ideas in mind that would make for a low cost setup. Do you have any pics of the ones you mentioned to me, in the sand drag cars where you used 26gal craftsman tanks?
  19. ndvalium

ndvalium Rescue Director

10% / 32oz is what we have always used but we deal with many Alcohol and Nitromethane fires. 3%-6% is what they recommend on the class A / B fires.

As far as pictiures, I will take some today and post a few as we happen to have one of our 26 gallon set ups currently being overhauled so it is sitting on the bench.

For those that purchased this product, and those that are still interested, SDHQ will be continuing to carry the product at contingency at any of the events that they will be at. We will supply them with FireAde stickers also shortly to mark your Fire Extinguishers appropriately with the product. Or email me and I can send them out as well. We are now set up to distribute by mail as well.

[email protected]

Thanks for the feedback!

Dave
  20. Jack

Jack Well-Known Member

Great, I can pick up a couple of stickers at the SS300.