FOA Shocks

Discussion in 'Shop - Suspension & Steering' started by RAM Racing, Jan 14, 2010.

1. RAM Racing

RAM Racing Member

Anyone running FOA shocks. What do you think?
  2. partybarge_pilot

partybarge_pilot Well-Known Member

For the price, thay can't be beat.
  3. RG1Baja

RG1Baja Member

[ame="http://www.dezertrangers.com/vb/showthread.php?t=42022"]F-O-A shocks - DezertRangers.com[/ame]

There is the link off Dezert Rangers. But read at your own risk.
  4. J Prich

J Prich Well-Known Member

Obviously their price makes them popular for the weekend warrior types, hence the long discussion on DezertRangers.

Is anyone actually racing with them though?
  5. partybarge_pilot

partybarge_pilot Well-Known Member

In the desert? The owner of the company is the only one that I know of. For the rock crawler guys, there are a few.....
  6. Ol' Curmudgeon

Ol' Curmudgeon RDC's resident crackpot

I think this thread should be moved to the shop-suspension forum.

(Disclaimer: No, I don't want to be a mod, and if elected, I will not serve.)
  7. J Prich

J Prich Well-Known Member

Yeah in the desert is what I meant. I happened to catch them in Jean over the summer testing their CL1 car but I was just curious to know if their products have really made their way to racing or not.

As you stated though, for the weekend warrior types, everyone I know seems pretty happy with the quality/price ratio.
  8. sapperb

sapperb New Member

No shock but I am running thier bumpstops, love em so far.
  9. RG1Baja

RG1Baja Member

10. Prerunin554

Prerunin554 Active Member

11. BRINGTHERUCKUS

BRINGTHERUCKUS Nimrod de PMC

I like mine.... lookin to get some more for the front.
  12. RAM Racing

RAM Racing Member

Thanks for all the info. I bought a set for the front of my stock full project and will try them out at BAP in Feb. :cool:
  13. motochris

motochris Member

There's a few guys here and there....but I couldn't even tell you who. Mostly small guys running small series.
    Our focus has been on bringing out a good shock for the guys that just plain can't spend huge amounts of money on their cars but still want a fun, good working car. Honestly....racecars were at the bottom of our list when we started this. By request, we brought out shocks more geared towards racing... 2.5 bypasses and now a 3.5 bypass, but our focus is still the little guy just out to have a good time.
  14. 57Racer

57Racer Active Member

I got a quote for your 3.5's and I am about to pull the trigger, but now I am wondering. How do they compare to the big name mfg's? Are they just big versions of your "little guy out to have a little fun?" Because I am looking for "little budget guy out to race Desert".
  15. Ol' Curmudgeon

Ol' Curmudgeon RDC's resident crackpot

They run you out of the bus station permanently? Trolling here now? :eek:

;)
  16. 57Racer

57Racer Active Member

Haha, yeah, cant take the heat in Purple.
  17. motochris

motochris Member

All I can tell you at this point is that they work well beyond their price. Only car that's had a direct comparison with a "big name shock" is our Class 1 car. We had Bilstein Blackhawks on it (with only a short time of setup by Joel at Bilstein...so they could have been better) and with our 3.5's on it, the car is just plain faster thru the same test section. Smoother overall and we ultimately gained a good 10mph in the long whoop section in Jean Nv.

Plan on waiting a while on them if you order. Since they are custom made, they are slow to build.
  18. DBMETALWORX

DBMETALWORX Well-Known Member

Well, how did they work out? I think I might be putting some 2"x12" coilovers on a CJ-7, with 4 link front & rear and full size Dana 44 axles. The price is killer. From what I've been reading this morning, it sounds like they would be fine.. How do you pre-load the spring? It doesn't look threaded. More like a groove around the body, and a clamp.
  19. 06dak287

06dak287 Member

hey chris. not sure if youre the one to talk to. im working on a mild long travel kit for the 2005-2006 dodge dakotas. since theres not one company out there that has anything for them. im in the process of working up the longer control arms and since your shop is local to me. (las vegas) right? i was thinking about going with you guys because i do have a budget and ive heard good things. ill be getting with someone over at FOA to figure out some ratios because ive never messed with valving or setting up. the best i could do is measure up eye to eyes and collapsed and extended lenghts. and since this will most likely be the first new body dakota with a long travel. if it works out id be glad to advertise on my truck because over on the dodge forum, we are all waiting for some kind of suspension mods.
  20. BRINGTHERUCKUS

BRINGTHERUCKUS Nimrod de PMC

the body has a big open thread, so you preload it like normal... ACME thread i think....