Greg Rolls His Truck (Again)

Discussion in 'United Prerunners' started by JenDiggityDirt, Jan 11, 2004.

1. JenDiggityDirt

JenDiggityDirt Active Member

Look at what happens when I let Greg go off and play with the boys for a day in Barstow (see attached).

Attached Files:

2. JenDiggityDirt

On the trailer...

Attached Files:

3. JenDiggityDirt

The side of the truck Pat was sitting in...

Attached Files:

4. JenDiggityDirt

Inside the cab...

Attached Files:

5. JenDiggityDirt

Both Greg and Pat are okay, not counting a slight concussion and a few cuts and bruises. He's not allowed to go that fast anymore, though!
  6. BIG_FAT_LOSER

BIG_FAT_LOSER Active Member

"AH HELL............"

The infamous "Lets make one last run before we leave"

All is well, except the truck...lol

Not to preach.....But..............I cannot stress the importance of wearing helmets, full harnesses, and a built cage even when you even think about driving off road at any speed. My helmet now has a nice dent in it from the cage or cab. Could have been my knoggin. My arm has a little road rash even though I did not let go of the grab bar and had long sleeves. Because of having and using the proper safety equipment the worst part of rolling 3 times at over 60 mph plus was waiting for Greg to walk about 8 miles to get the trailer, and running out of smokes.

I have seen tons of video clips of drivers without helmets........It could be you next, but have more than cigarettes to worry about.

(steps off soapbox......)
  7. Eric_M

Eric_M Member

that truly sucks guys. glad to see that you were both ok! but i second pat, get a roll cage!!!!
  8. hoeker

hoeker Well-Known Member

wow that looks like it was a pretty serious crash, glad everybodies ok. looks like it'll be a while before the ranger is streetable again though. wow!
  9. jeff

jeff Super Moderator

Good news everyone is AOK. Stuff like that proves why you need a built truck to drive in the dirt. If that had been some stock Ranger imagine the cave in the roof would've seen. Hey Greg, looks like the boogers held! Just another instance where less than perfect fab is still damn strong. What's that rig made up of again? [​IMG]

Streetable? When was that hooptie ever streetable? [​IMG]

Aloha
  10. motoxscott

motoxscott Well-Known Member

How and where did it happen ... hopefully not at the In & Out drive-thru.

Glad everyone was ok. [​IMG]
  11. RRose

RRose Member

Very happy to see you guys are not injured.... always remember.... trucks can be replaced.... bodies can not!
  12. Greg

Greg Active Member

We were about 2-3 miles north of Hodge on course b going to start/finish. Its a good section with some good size holes. I was pushing the truck harder than i ever have and through driver error i shot off a berm and lost it. Im not sure if there was a mechanical problem that contributed to it or just my lack of sence that caused us to crash, but we were hauling butt. Funny thing is that i am replacing the body and cage and ft. suspension mounts anyway (putting in the 302 and moving everything rearward) and only the stuff i plan on replacing got damaged. As for what the truck is made of, I'll honest and let the truth be known, 1.5"x .120 seemed tubing, hot-rolled plate, and most of it was welded with a 110 welder (let the critics start preaching now), I tried to use a smart design and this test showed that it worked and the parts that were supposed to bend, bent. And those that weren't, didnt. As for the next cage, all 1.75x .120 though, and no provisions for keeping the dash or A/C or rear seat access. Not one weld broke or even cracked, but the bumper got bent to hell and so did the core support. The front right tire ripped off (although its back on in the photos) and it broke the spindal and brake caliper in half. Both sides of the cab are shredded, if you look in some of the pics you can see where rocks sliced right through the cab. Well' i feel pretty dumb, but im thankful that Pat is ok, im glad that his first desert roll-over was with me. Um, i dont think I'll be racing it this season in 1450.
  13. matt_helton

matt_helton Racer

"atta boy" greg! go hard or go home brotha! no worries cus your still alive and you still have your gord attached to your shoulders. time for the new and improved "hooptie". cant wait for sure! and let it also be known to all the super- technical, high-tech types out there that i built my entire truck out of 1.5"x.120 HREW mild steel tubing and hot rolled mild steel plate (even the A-arms) and when i tumbled it the cage didnt budge! and my toyota before that that i barrell rolled at speed was made of the same material as well and it didnt budge either. as a matter of fact, the basic 4 point cage in that truck was a Smitty-bilt bolt in cage that was welded in place and added to to make a bumper to bumper cage. low-buck all the way but me and my co-drivers walked away un injured both times. chromolly and dimple dies aint for me!!! gimme some mild steel, a chop saw and a harbor freight pipe bender and ill build a stout chassis. [​IMG]
  14. elcaprerunner

elcaprerunner Member

Right on Greg and Pat, glad to see you guys are okay. I guess a rear sway-bar couldn't have even saved that one though, huh? Just kidding Greg.
  15. NoFriends

NoFriends Member

glad to here your ok Greg adn pat, and thats the reason i where a helmet when i drive id rather het a hlemit on my cage and not slam my head into it
  16. gary

gary Active Member

damn, sucks to see/hear that....
    glad everyone's okay...
    sounds like barstow was a busy place today. i was sposed to go out there myself, to watch some testing, but couldn't go at the last minute...or i'd have had some smokes for ya, pat... [​IMG]
  17. tim_krueger

tim_krueger Member

glad yor guys are ok
    i definately feel the helmet thing
    matt and i almost always ware helmets when were traviling at speed
    it just so happened that this weekend at glamis we didnt
    that gonna change

let me know if you want any help rebuilding..... im right down the street now [​IMG]
  18. steveG

steveG Well-Known Member

Glad to see you guys are ok, I was in a pretty serious accident once (doing about 125mph on pavement) & the first thing I asked when I could think somewhat straight was " was anyone else hurt?"-so I know exactly what greg was thinking when he said he was glad pat is ok. Truck is lookin great as usual Greg-long live cheap steel!!!
  19. grt

grt Checkers *********

Jen:

Once again, a grapic demonstration of the Value of Safety Equipment!!!

Glad everyone was Ok.

Fixing this mess will offer you hours of entertainment.

grt
  20. SANDlessNSeattle

SANDlessNSeattle rock solid user name

This comes in a little late, but I'm glad you guys are ok...Barstow mmm that must be an Indian word for ''ROLL WHITE MAN THAT IN WHITE HORSE''.......I lost my white horse to Barstow also.... [​IMG]