Headers for my 5.8L 351W is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Shop - Engine' started by USStuntRiders, Feb 29, 2008.

1. USStuntRiders

USStuntRiders New Member

'95 F150 5.8L 351w
    Anybody have luck with good sealing headers that dont leak? Whick ones?

Every vehicle I have owned with headers become at some point a leaking mess, everything from JBA, hooker and even thorleys

Any hp gain? mpg gain?

Can you feel a difference or is it just hp on paper deal?
  2. partybarge_pilot

partybarge_pilot Well-Known Member

The key is making sure the flanges are flat before you put them on. Also useing good bolts is a must, I have had the best luck with allen bolts. Torque them down, warm up the motor and retorque them. This should eliminate most of your problems. Oh yeah, use felpro gaskets. And yes, the performace gains are worth it.
  3. flyinbronco

flyinbronco Active Member

I use Bassani ceramic coated shorty headers on my 94 Bronco with a 351W. They are awesome. Never had a leak yet. I had a pair of Gibson's at first but they were crap.
  4. calfredo66

calfredo66 New Member

JBA is good quality new. and you can always have a machine shop resurface the flange for you for some where around $30. but definatly stay away from manufacturers that use anything less than 3/8ths in. thick flanges!

another good trick is using red rtv on the gasket. it sounds dumb but i build headers for a living and i have yet to have a single customer complain of a leak in nearly 3 years.
  5. Gummi Bear

Gummi Bear Member

It does make a difference, but like many things, exhaust works best as a matched system. Your headers, cat, mufflers, and all of the tubing need to complement one another. Too much or too little flow can cost you power in one part or another of your powerband.

Look for headers that have a 3/8" flange, and buy some quality gaskets and some Stage 8 bolts (brand name, they're locking bolts)

JBA makes some good ones now, so does BC Broncos. I wouldn't consider anything that isn't ceramic coated.

There are a lot of 'installers' that understand even less about exhaust performance than they let on. A really good exhaust man can help you make educated decisions for the best overall performance to suit your needs.
  6. philofab

philofab Powered by Optima

Hedman makes good quality headers with a collector that does not use gaskets (ball flange) and has 3/8 head flanges. Stage 8 bolts are the way to go as they lock and don't back off. Most blown gaskets on SBFs are caused by loose bolts. Fords normally have very restrictive exhaust systems. My 460 in my 97 gained about 60HP with a full exhaust.
  7. calfredo66

calfredo66 New Member

like Gummi Bear said. it will work better as a matched system. I think it was 4 wheel and off road who did an article on the bronco with a dynomax exhaust and I think JBA headers. theirs was an increase of some where around 35hp at the wheels. i know it may not sound like a huge gain but with a better intake it will breath well.
  8. j10-401

j10-401 Active Member

Yes its worth it, a good thick gasket and proper torquing from the inside out is key. the thick gaskets help with the heat expansion and they just plain hold together better. RTV on the gasket does work, but as was said before most blow outs are from loose bolts.
  9. j10-401

j10-401 Active Member

Byson makes a really good thick flange gasket that was available through thorley.
  10. philofab

philofab Powered by Optima

Best gaskets made are called "RemFlex". I have installed at least a hundred pair of these and STILL have not had a problem. They seem to be reusable to some extent too.
  11. partybarge_pilot

partybarge_pilot Well-Known Member

Link? where to get?
  12. USStuntRiders

USStuntRiders New Member

http://www.remflex.com/

Google it and all kinds of people carry it.

Thanks philofab good info