Help Save Johnson Valley

Discussion in 'Desert Racing' started by kim, Mar 18, 2011.

1. kim

kim Rescue 3

I know this belongs in the Land Use forum but I need as many people to see it and participate as possible.

From the AMA :

[​IMG] [​IMG] Proposed Marine Base Expansion into Johnson Valley Public Meetings, Dates and Locations Announced

The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) is encouraging riders to attend one of the recently announced Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center proposed base expansion public meetings. The proposed expansion may restrict access to the Johnson Valley Off-Highway Vehicle Recreation Area. These meetings will be hosted by the United States Marine Corps (USMC) and the Bureau of Land Management (BLM).
    The meetings will focus on the recently released Draft Environmental Impact Statement (DEIS). The DEIS analyzes potential environmental impacts associated with the proposed base expansion.
    The meetings will be held at the following locations:

• Tuesday, April 12, 2011, 5 to 9 p.m., Copper Mountain College, Bell Center Gym, 6162 Rotary Way, Joshua Tree, Calif.
    • Wednesday, April 13, 2011, 5 to 9 p.m., Ontario High School Gym, 901 W. Francis St, Ontario, Calif.
    • Thursday, April 14, 2011, 5 to 9 p.m., Hilton Garden Inn Conference Center, 12603 Mariposa Rd., Victorville, Calif.
    Representatives from the USMC and the BLM will be on site to answer questions and address comments in an open house town hall format.
    Riders are encouraged to submit their own comments on this important issue. To download a copy of the DEIS (941 pages), or to find where hard copies are available for review click here.

A stenographer will be available for those who want submit oral comments. All written comments must be postmarked or received by May 26, 2011, to be considered.

The AMA has been working with a number of concerned groups on this issue and had previously submitted these comments during the scoping phase of the DEIS.

For further information, please contact the BLM Barstow Field Office, (760) 252-6000, or the Proposed 29 Palms Training Land and Airspace Acquisition Project, (760) 830-3764.
    Again, please plan to attend one of these meetings and submit comments. Encourage your fellow riders to join you.
    (+1) 1 person likes this.
  2. Shoyrtt

Shoyrtt Active Member

Thank you Kim!
  3. arqangel67

arqangel67 Well-Known Member

I'll be at both the ontario and victorville meetings. I got an email from the AMA today on the same thing. Thanks for the heads up.
  4. G.A.S.

G.A.S. Member

Bump

Anyone else get the card/flyer in the mail about this?
  5. coilover88

coilover88 Active Member

This closure affects the race course used by MORE that stages at Soggy Dry Lake. I don't recall if it's course "A" or "B" but almost everything North and East of S/F would be closed.
  6. M.Harvey1600

M.Harvey1600 Well-Known Member

I have Class at that time but I will do my part and be at the Ontario meeting...
  7. CMA GUMBY

CMA GUMBY Active Member

Don't forget the DAC meeting in Victorville Sat the 26th.
    (+1) 1 person likes this.
  8. turbotexas

turbotexas Member

9. tacosupreme

tacosupreme Member

I work at Ft. Irwin north of Barstow and they recently expanded for all the same reasons 29 palms has listed, and gave all the same excuses. After spending millions relocating tortoises out of the expansion area (hundreds of them died, the BLM moved them to a rockpile), going through years of litigation and environmental reviews, the "new" land has been used exactly ZERO times by the military. Not once. I spent 10 years in the Army and deployed side by side with Marines, Airmen, and Sailors. What I can never wrap my mind around is that we fight together, why don't we train together? Why don't the Marines join in on the training up here at Ft. Irwin? We have plenty of room (996 square miles) and all of the infrastructure in place, and in fact have two months of every year where no training takes place (July and December). You'd think some full bird Colonel would come up with that idea and get a star out of it.
  10. G.A.S.

G.A.S. Member

Yeah, but that would make sense. Our government doesn't work on common sense.
  11. kim

kim Rescue 3

We have been asking that same questions since 2009 when this whole idea of base expansion came about. You're right, if you fight together you should train together. We keep getting some politically correct answer as to why not. I was once told in a private conversation that the Colonel at 29 Palms saw the base expansion happening at Ft. Irwin and decided that he wanted one too, but bigger. It has everything to do with seeing who has the bigger......chest.
  12. kim

kim Rescue 3

You will be looking at closures from Melville and Emerson Dry Lakes clear over just east of Camp Rock Road if the Marines get their way.
  13. kim

kim Rescue 3

Got three of them today. Sure are pretty, glossy cards aren't they.
  14. turbotexas

turbotexas Member

lets hope the enviro*&^% keep them in court over the turtle re-location
  15. turbotexas

turbotexas Member

And why cant they go east or north of the base???
  16. kim

kim Rescue 3

North and east contain not only some wilderness areas but also soft or semi-soft patches of ground that the tanks could sink in....so I'm told.
  17. arqangel67

arqangel67 Well-Known Member

I got my card too. They dont have to take johnsons vallley , thats just what they are dreaming of.There is a portion that is southeast of the base that was once used for bombing and is now a wilderness area they can take that land back. the problem is that they say that they can't practice their tank training maneuvers beacuse they dont have enough space. Well the Abrams tanks can shoot in excess of 1.5 miles and the base is about 20miles east to west and north to south at its farthest points, so why do they need so much space? The real reason is because the marines stationed there are just plain tired of training in the same areas over and over. So they will justify it any way they can. The tanks get stuck, not enuf room,need more realistic training. Whatever! I think with all that the military is doing in the world i think a bigger training facility is the last thing we need. After all the middle east is one big training facility as is. Sorry for the rant , but I just cant stand it and trust me I'll be at those meetings.
  18. kim

kim Rescue 3

Good luck with that. Once Congress declares an area wilderness, not even God can de-designate it. We've tried. I believe you talking about the Sheep Hole wilderness area which was a bull$hiet designation in the first place.
  19. usmcgunrock

usmcgunrock Active Member

We do train up there. But the problem is your ranges and scenarios do not work with our tactics. You guys don't even come close to combine arms like we do. One reason we need so much land to train. When we were up there we had your guys controllers with us. They kept asking us about stuff because they had never seen the way we did stuff done on there ranges. We may fight along side each other but we don't take objectives together. We operate to differently. Anyways this is off subject.
  20. usmcgunrock

usmcgunrock Active Member

The land is not open. There are public paved roads, Amboy, the salt bed plant, and a freeway.