Hobart 135 amp mig welder

Discussion in 'Shop - Miscellaneous' started by 88desertranger, Mar 15, 2004.

1. 88desertranger

88desertranger New Member

Hey everyone, I was wondering how well of a welder a Hobart 135 amp mig welder was. I am currently stuck with only a miller 100 amp stick welder and am looking for an upgrade. Although, I dont want to have to buy a third welder. I need my next welder to be capable of doing everything I want it to. I need it to make my full cage on my ranger, and for basically any other automotive use, from sheetmetal work to frame boxing. Will this welder suffice, or do I need somethign better? Thanks in advance/.

Branden
  2. Flea

Flea Member

I have a hobart handler 175. it runs off of 220v and works great. but if you are looking to weld to a frame I would not go with anything less than a 175. the 135 is probably great for tubing and sheet metal..
  3. Andrew_Neal

Andrew_Neal Member

hey i have a lincoln 135 and i have had no problems with it.

it works great for everything ive done so i dont think u would have a problem
  4. 88desertranger

Neal - have you done any frame work with yours? would the two different brands be comparable. I dont want to have to buy another welder after my next purchase, And I need my welder to do my entire truck. Have you done any frame work/ cage work with your welder...what exactly is the diff as the amperage goes up. Does it provide a stronger weld, a cleaner weld, or just a quicker weld...

Branden
  5. GFC

GFC Member

I have the welder in question and like it for .120 tubing and other such applications. you will have to spend more time welding with it than you would with a more powerful machine to optain proper penitration. As for boxing in the frame, with the right design(i.e. not just slaping a piece of 1/2 in steel plate in there and expecting to weld it up with full penitration) Make sure that everything you weld up is fit up correctly and SUPER clean. If you ask me, this is a great welder to take to the track in the event that you need some work done while you are out there. It is light and very portable in that respect. I feel that you would be happier with a 210 unit. My advise is to spend as much as you can on a welder within reason of your application. you can pull it off with a 135 just dont expect to weld all day with it. It does have a duty cycle of 20% so that is 2 minutes of welding followed by 8 minutes of resting.
  6. Andrew_Neal

Andrew_Neal Member

yeah my welder worked just fine for welding up a C notch on his pos bagged truck. it penitrated the fullsize chevy frame just fine. and its caged a golf cart real nice and done a lot more work around the garage

but i dont know what the differences between the two brands is though i cant imagine there is too much of a difference
  7. 88desertranger

Thnx for the help guys, still dont shure what I want to do, I really want to get the best welder I can, but at the same time, I want to start working on my truck, and I also have a couple friends that are willing to pay me to make some tube bumpers for them, don't want to have to wait to save money, guess I'll think it over.....
  8. hoeker

hoeker Well-Known Member

search past threads on welders. most people on this board agree that at a minimum you should be in the 175 amp range. that size range welder is still 110 v and very inexpensive. definatly a better choice.
  9. 88desertranger

I already have 220 in my garage so, power source isnt much fo an issue. What kind of cost difference am I looking at for a used 175, as compared to a used 215....
  10. SuperDave

SuperDave Member

11. 88desertranger

any reason why millermatic, over another particular brand. Also, are there any dowsides to using a 210, over a smaller unit, can the 210 do everything the smaller one can + more, or is it overkill for thin metal, Ive never done any sheetmetal work, but may want to sometime.... Thanks in advance.
  12. 88desertranger

just looked at the ebay listings, and the miller 210 is listed for "light duty fabrication" I was under the impression that the 210 was a prietty bad ass welder, why are they so modest with their description "light duty"?
  13. hoeker

hoeker Well-Known Member

the 210 is still only a 60% duty cycle machine. while a great machine that constitutes light duty in comercial welding. yes a large welder can do everything a small machine can do plus more.

i have a 250 in the shop and love it, it's overkill 98% of the time, but i have it when i need it. i take a 175 to the track where i don't need the duty cycle and never need the amperage. for basic cage/truck work i'd recommend the 210 if you can afford it, the 175 if you can't, and from past experience i'd save my money and go to a buddies to get the welding done if all you can afford is a 135 or smaller.

miller v lincoln is like ford v chevy. preferance. i prefer miller.
  14. 88desertranger

thnx for the great help, still not 100% shure what Im gonna do, but the cage CAN wait, I'll just have to take it easy in the desert. I will save up for at least a 210, possibly bigger, not shure yet. Will the 210 give me sufficient penetration for basically any off-road purpose needed? With it's main drawback being the duty cycle? Or is the penetration power of the 250 needed when doing types of frame modding/etc...
  15. tedmales

tedmales Member

its just about like everything else, if you can afford the extra power, then do it. i love my miller 250x, i also have a hobart 110 volt that was my first welder, and if i had not bought that i would be much closer to the plasma cutter i want now.
  16. hoeker

hoeker Well-Known Member

i don't want to be quoted as saying you have to buy a 250 or don't buy, that's not the case. i've said many times that selling my 185 to upgrade to my 250 was the silliest thing i ever did. i loved that 185(now the 210), sure the 250 is better for what i do now, but i still don't "need" it.
    the problem is structural welds with 135 amp and smaller machines are difficult, especially for the novice welder that usually buys these machines. i was at a friends last night, he's struggling with a small lincoln welder making suspension parts for his drag car, bottom line, if i showed you a picture you would all agree the welds stink! it's just not worth it when you can get a new 175 for 5-600 bucks.

spend wisely,
    www.rosshoek.com
  17. 88desertranger

Any idea what I could get a used 250 for? I tried searchin on e-bay but EVERY one was new ( and around 1200 bucks) nice chunk of change....

Branden
  18. BlueCoyote

BlueCoyote Active Member

An important thing to remember on any 120v MIG is to make sure the supply wire is big enough. Trying to run one on an outlet that is fed by 50ft of 14ga wire will not yeild good results. Instead consider installing a dedicated welder plug fed by a short 10ga wire hooked up to a 30a breaker. If you must run an extension cord, use a 8 ro 1ga one (RV store).
    My 135 does just fine, provided I use it on the dedicated plugs.
  19. Rnger8

Rnger8 New Member

I have a miller 175 220v and a lincoln 135 110v. The lincoln is fine for light gauge welding, I personally won't use it for cages. Thats what the miller is for, and it works great. As for extension cords, for my lincoln, I use a 5k watt generator w/ a 20amp breaker and a 50' 10/3 extension cord wthout a problem. Save your money, look for deals. When races come to Phx, Lincoln dealers discount their equipment. Don't regret a purchase like that. Thats my $.02...